Havoc

Ma Bell & 555

30 posts in this topic

Hi,

Can you help me in finding an explanation for Ma Bell

Does it came from 'Mabel Hubbard' or 'My Bell' ?

One speculated it was because the Bell System was the 'Mother of Telecommunications' or that they were so willing to please the customer and be part of the community they were like a corporate 'mom'. What do you think ?

I am also eager to know why Hollywood and filming industry use almost all the time

NPA-555-XXXX numbers in movies. What is the reason for placing this NXX = 555 ? Maybe FCC rule or something like that ?

I have also a small riddle for you (because I know the explanation)

Try to guess the origination of the telecommunication term.

Edited by Havoc

the term ''telecommunication'' means any transmission, emission or reception of signs, signals, writings, images, and sounds or intelligence of any nature by wire, radio, optical, or other electromagnetic systems.

the term ''telecommunication'' means any transmission, emission or reception of signs, signals, writings, images, and sounds or intelligence of any nature by wire, radio, optical, or other electromagnetic systems.

Well it's not my point. I know what this word means and how someone could create it but I want you to guess where and by whom it was firstly used.

i'm not sure about the other questions, but i know that the 555 NXX is set aside for fictional numbers. supposedly there are a few acceptions, but i have never seen them.

555-1212 here is repair.

i don't know who said it first (alexander graham bell maybe?!), but i DO know that tele comes from greek and it means long-distance, so you can figure it out long distance communications....like in long distance vision, or long distance phone, phone coming also from a greek root (maybe phonos or something very similar) meaning voice or sound....im kinda hazy on this....

the npa 555 thing is for co codes & fictional numbers. They didn't use a fictional number in the movie "Bruce Almighty." Every radio station in my area called the number after the movie came out.

the npa 555 thing is for co codes & fictional numbers. They didn't use a fictional number in the movie "Bruce Almighty." Every radio station in my area called the number after the movie came out.

i just rented that movie, and in the dvd, god pages him with 555-0123. did they change it?

What kind of phone phreaks are you? This is an EASY one. The reason Ma Bell is called as such is because of Bell's wife, Mabel.

Edited by BriskAttivo

And in regards to 555, directory assistance has always traditionally been 1+NPA+555-1212. Before mobile phones, CLECs, etc, the numbering plan was not nearly as close to running out of numbers as it is now, and the telephone companies would often devote entire three-digit codes (and sometimes two-digit codes) to things like dial speed checkers, test circuits, et cetera, so the devoting of an entire prefix to one directory assistance number makes some sort of sense.

The technical reason for no customer numbers being assigned in 555 probably has to do more with long distance routing and billing than anything else. Since calls to information in distant cities were free of charge to the customer, it would have been a nightmare to make sure that [a] only 555-1212 was a free call, and to make sure that calls to customers on 555 went to a different switching entity than calls to information. I don't know whether Western Electric 4A crossbar tandems were intelligent enough to route based on the entire ten-digit number; I believe routing was strictly on an NPA-NNX code basis. So assuming you did have customers in 555 AND assuming they were served out of the same switch as information AND assuming that you managed to get the billing nightmare worked out, you would run into the problems of [a] a large number of calls to information causing the switch to be so busy that customers would have a hard time getting calls through, and the hell of having to change all the customers' numbers if you for some reason needed to move the information office.

And imagine the nightmare of being assigned 555-2368 as your home number :)

They didn't use a fictional number in the movie "Bruce Almighty."

I gave my opinion about this movie in another topic. Maybe number is real but the screenplay sux ! I don't claim that fake numbers are in each film but this is pretty common. BTW: Why in the one of "Renegade" episodes this main moron needed a coin to call 911 from a payphone ?

What kind of phone phreaks are you?

I'm a polish phreak, don't you remember ? I mentioned his wife but I'm not sure.

Why in the one of "Renegade" episodes this main moron needed a coin to call 911 from a payphone ?

because that series fucking SUCKED! that native american dude sucked, also the renegade dude sucked, the chick sucked, the whole damn plot sucked, by the way..did i mention just how much that show..SUCKED?!?!

sorry..i get carried away soemtimes :)

I've never seen 555 used as an NPA in a movie or show, only as the prefix.

Speaking of using real numbers, the * of the living dead series of movies do that alot.

Oh yeah, how about the movie 976-EVIL, and 976-evil 2 :ranaway: :D

Edited by av1d

you know what i read that bruce almighty link, now isnt that ironic that that would happen... oh yeah HI EVERYONE remember me... just thought ide stop in to say hi after a hiadus from my good friends site, heh whadup Stank

(loser)Spaz

hey spaz, havent seen you in a while. as far as npas in movies, I don't think I've seen a movie with the npa in the number.

i dont really pay too much attention to that kind of thing accualy, unless it has a plot in the story (a phone number that is) i get into my movies, heh

:grr:

You can also check out this link

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/27/...ain555630.shtml

BTW: Is there someone who will try to guess my riddle ? No one of you want to know where telecommunication term was firstly used ?

As would I...did it start with the telegraph?

As would I...did it start with the telegraph?

OK I see you need a hint

1. This was used by French guy

2. Year was about 1904

This should help you completely if not I'll reveal what I know.

I'm going to make a guess and say that it actually evolved from the railway semaphore or optical telegraphs of the late 1700's early 1800's and was coined by one of the Chappe brothers in France; since the word télégraphe (meaning far-writer) was coined by one of the Chappe brothers (Claude? I believe) it figures if one of them would have also coined the other term.

one of them would have also coined the other term.

Nice try but this is not it

I would guess the ITU, first handling telegrams, and later other telecommunications.