howyadoin

What was some of the 1st things you built/hacked?

19 posts in this topic

My 1st one was in 1987. I'll never forget it for a reason which I'll go into later in this post.

I bought a small electronic kit at Radio Shack and started rewiring it after I built it. I tried various things, soldering this and that, and once got the transmissions of the air traffic control tower and another time the airplanes nearby. Then I rewired it more and picked up ground transmissions in and near the airport - this is when the "I can't forget it" part comes in. When I got these transmissions the first time, I heard what turned out to be the 1st cop who arrived on the scene of a jet that just crashed at Stapleton Airport here in Denver (which is now DIA and is located further away) - I'll never forget it, he was very shaken and crying saying that he just saw a jet crash and an explosion and needed help out there. Then I turned on the news and and it took about 5 minutes for the breaking news to hit local T.V. - sure enough, a jet had just crashed in bad weather. "Wow", I thought, "That means I heard it before the news even picked it up." No wonder I'll never forget this event. The jet crash I heard about is mentioned in an article HERE .

That was sad. This brings back memories of that crash, like later in the news they featured a shot of a firefighter who pulled out an infant but it died in his arms and he was just crying his eyes out cause he couldn't save it in time.

Whew. Too bad my first scanner I built and rewired has to have that kind of memory attached to it. That's too bad.

Edit : I meant "first thing built or hardware hacked", not hacking sites or whatever. Sorry for the mixup.

Edited by totallyAunti

I havn't hacked much yet.

Unless you mean like cheating in online video games.

myrice.com was my first site....

I also used to scan for open Sub7 servers and tell people their system was infected when I was a kid. Lots of fun and very helpful.

Edit to my 1st post :

I meant "first thing built or hardware hacked", not hacking sites or whatever. Sorry for the mixup.

i had a wood shop class in like 7th or 8th grade and we we're supposed to make a guitar shaped clock but i said f'it and said i was going to turn it into a real guitar/lute thing, and no one believed me but now it has double a double locking tremelo that rotates on a circle like a kahler but it has a clamp to hold the string instead of a hook, just have to swap out the volume pot to a double one so i can have single volume and dual tones.

First thing I did was very lame. I was a wee little child then, and I made hack for GTA Vice City (PC) that gave you max cash.

With GBPPR's help a few devices on his site. :)

The *first*?

Potato batteries. We were always home alone, even at 6, 7, and 8 years old. I kept making parallels, hooking them up to clocks or radios, and my mom would get pissed because the spuds would be all shriveled when she got home.

The first real time I built electronics was a simple little digital clock kit I got as a gift. It worked great, then I tried to put it in a muppets lunchbox though, after cutting a "clock face" into the front with tin snips and I grounded it out and busted it. (metal lunchbox)

First hack fail. No scary mobile faux-bomb.

I built a detonator for something I made from the Anarchist Cookbook when I was about 14.

Edited by m3747r0n

Remote controlled detonator for my firecrackers (and later skyrockets), I was about 13. It was as primitive as can be -- basically a remote controlled toy car stripped down to the receiver and main engine (no servos). The engine I hooked up to a simple switch on a circuit with a 12V battery eliminator from a train set in one end, and short section of stripped low gauge wire in the other. The wire would glow red hot when the circuit was closed, and the rest is self explanatory.

I remember it was a big revelation to me when I experimented with under-water explosions (I would put the charge in a water resistant film container) and discovered, when placed at the bottom of a bucket, even the smallest charge would put a hole clean through a both the bucket and the plastic garden table on which it sat (this would not happen when the bucket was not filled with water, cos the energy would dissipate in all directions). It was probably my first hacker eureka moment. I couldn't care less about my mother yelling at me for destroying a perfectly good table. Ah, the memories ^_^

Edited by snow

It was probably around 1984 and I had a Timex Sinclair computer. When you turned it on it booted into an editor to create programs in ROM-BASIC. You had to copy any programs you made to a cassette tape as the computer had no storage of its own.

I had the source code to a Defender clone that I had typed (took days of typing and debugging all the typos) in and could play. I modified the source code so that there were no enemies in the game, modified it so that there were these big "buildings" in the game that you could crash your ship into and had to dodge. Basically I hacked the game into a completely different game with a different style of game play, different scoring system, etc. That was my first hack.

My first was 1990 when I had 2 separate phone lines coming into the house and plain jane phones on each number. One day I decided I wanted to tear one apart so I did. I ended up with 2 dial tones on one phone plus it had a 'put callers on hold' feature. The extra dial tone came into the picture because I 'stole' (for lack of a better word) the dial tone off the other line in the house and put it on this phone I was hacking, so then I ended up with 2 of them.

Edited by resistor X

wow i can not remember... i have been taking things apart and messing with them since the first electronic/mechanical toy that i had broke... i figured if it was broke i couldn't make it any worse, either i would be able to do something with it.. .or it was going to the trash anyways...

About 1989 or 1990...modified a Uniden 200XLT scanner to receive cell phones.

When I was in 3rd grade I built a little alarm system for my bedroom. I stuck a folded piece of cardboard with tin foil on each side under a rug by my bed room door, and connected the two pieces of tin foil to a battery and a radio shack buzzer with wires. When somebody would step on the rug, the pieces of tin foil would come in contact, triggering the buzzer. I had to know when my older sister was about to bust into my room!

As this is in the ham section, its my first radio experience ;)

My family were all mad on cb radio in the uk before it became legal (very early 80's), we had a huge 11m half wave dipole bolted the back of the house and went to "breaker" meets etc and it was this new buzz that everyone was into. Seriously, it went mentally popular really quick. Its all super cheezy now when you look back, but we felt like it was something that was going to change the world...

Id been doing basic electronics at school and got into tinkering with the innards of my zx81 and stuff with some sucess, and one of my big bro's let me loose on his untouched superstar 360 sideband cb after Id made some filters up for the neighbors tv's and ingratiated myself.

I was given a typed out set of notes on how to "band" it by someone, and studied the circuit to make sure I knew what was going on, really not wanting to kill his beautiful rig. I rewired the channel 9 and low/hi power switches as instructed to add the two missing digit on the pll programming lines from channel selector switch which let it go right outside the bottom of the cb bands into 26mhz territory with appropriate switch positions, and right up past the 10M ham bands. I mapped out some frequency charts with firing into a dummy load and tapping off to a borrowed frequency counter someone "borrowed" from work for me. All my kit was like that, borrowed or broken and fixed, or blagged by my brothers for me. I was just a snotty nosed kid without money but everyone was really helpful.

Much more pouring over circuit diagrams and all sorts of other things which are common knowledge now were attempted with success, different output transistors for more power and more bias voltage, tweaking the if filters etc. People started to bring me stuff to fix or modify, and call me a "rig doctor" which I wasnt but somehow I managed to get most things living again with some persistence.

Then I discovered ham radio, and went off to play on 2m packet. Ive still got that superstar though, and it still works ;)

I used to live in a place where deaf people lived. In 2006, I found some old abandoned TTY terminals. I wired them together such that my roommate could type me messages while in a different room. It was a pretty fun project.

This was during the Stoned/Michaelangelo virus days...well before I possessed hair below the center of my being...this virus was a boot sector virus, if anyone remembers. Well, boot sector virii, will infect a seemingly blank disk due to its nature. Using my refurbished Emerson "IBM compatible" computer...yes Emerson the printer manufacturer...and Norton utilities' hex editor I compared the hex values of a blank known good "floppy" (do people even know what a floppy is anymore?) with that of an infected floppy. I knew it was infected because my computer was infected with the virus and I formatted the disk with the infected computer which ensured that this floppy would become infected. My computer was rife with it and I said to myself what can I learn about the virus before I disinfect it. The differences in values became my own personal "signature" for the virus.

The blood in my veins was buring...that is when I knew I was someone different than the norm...I was a hacker.