howyadoin

What were the first phreaking related things you did?

31 posts in this topic

When I 1st started, I was just sitting one day looking at the telephone cause I was bored (this was when Mountain Bell was still around) and I thought, "I bet there are things that the phone isn't supposed to normally do, like I bet there are funny phone numbers out there that most people don't know exist". So I started scanning (my 1st scanning job!) and found several pretty fast, so I wrote them down and kept them (my 1st phone number list too!). There were some milliwats and some sweep tones - I was so impressed (I was like 17) :lol: .

Then what I found got me going and I wondered what else the telephone network can do and the rest is history. :P

:):):)

Boy, that's what I call fun. :)

I still like it. :P It's amazing how the thrill of finding new shit never ends.

made a beige box and a party box-don't remember the exact age but was in high school so I was pretty young..

Besides the one I listed above, the 1st time I tried to rewired a phone was in about 1980. I added 2 switches, one would put the line on hold and the other would make the dial tone from another line in the house merge onto the phone I wired (so I could make 2 calls at the same time using 2 different phone numbers).

That was fun. :)

back in 2002 I phoned the ANAC by pure accident :)

Skytel... back in like 1998 I was around 13/14.

Heh, interesting question. Though I don't consider myself a skilled phreaker, I did play around with some phone systems back in the mid-80s. It all started when a kid in my homeroom passed around a phone card number. After seeing how far that would take me, I started searching out other numbers (calling card and maintenance numbers). My interest dwindled when a few kids at school got busted.

With the advent of Asterisk, I've been getting back into the phone thing. Quite fun.

best,

Pan

The extent of my phreaking abilities was just trying to find voice mail systems or the seldom found, but golden ROLM PBX with dial out capabilities...

I accidentally came across PLA radio on Itunes, and from there I started researching phreaking on my own. It wasn't until a year later that I found the binrev forums, which seems to harbor the only active phreaking scene on the interwebs. I became really hooked when I messed around with a cruise ship's PBX system and found a surprising amount of interesting things, you can actually read about that here.

My first was ... hmmm about 5 odd years ago (I was a late starter) when I found a country direct C5, went onto IRC to ask people a few questions and the rest as they is history.

Actually thinking about it a little further, when I was in secondary school a certain model of payphone used to give you free calling with a certain key combination when pressed that we discovered.

1989 - Found a direct dial in my local exchange to an ANAC with ring back test(UK) by accident(misdialed a friend), same year got thinking about dtmf and playing recorded dtmfs into mouth peices of payphones, which then where unmuted without dropping a coin in, and worked out that things could be done to my benefit if i messed around a little, after finding that out you name it, I probably tried/did it :) Dropped in and out of phones over the last 20 years.. Had some amazing times in the early 90's!

Around 1982 or so, a friend and I were making crank calls.. We were spelling out cuss words and calling people up telling them their numbers spelled cunt, cock, pussy, whatever.. Yes, we were very bored. Then I found 552-fuck. Called it got a tone. Asked a friend of mine what the hell it was.. an hour later I was hacking my first phreak codes with a piece of paper. Wrote out a series of random numbers on a piece of paper and started trying them by hand. I think it was the 10th or so try and I had my first code.

edited for typo.

Edited by PurpleJesus

Of course the first thing we all did was to figure out what happens when you dial numbers that "not published" and see what happens.

In 1982 I had moved from a boring #5 crossbar Bell area to a mix of step and analog electronic independent area. A lot of neat stuff to mess around with.

Before equal access, the folks subscribed to a Feature Group A service for LD. Figured out how to write a random number generator on my TI-99/4A computer. Also found out just by playing around other Feature Group A lines. They were great because they were so insecure back then.

What else.. oh, in the early 90s I modded a Rat Shack DTMF dialer with a "replacement" crystal. I'm sure most of you know what that did. (I still have it to this day, but it's pretty useless now).

There are other things that I did, but most stuff is so OBE that the majority of you wouldn't understand :)

Edited by dmine45

1987: I used to dial the ringback and screw with my younger brothers.

In high school I had a summer job training people to deliver the phone books, and as a part of that I had to dial numbers on the master list (all subscribed to numbers in the area including unlisted) to see if they had receive their phonebook... well, I stumbled upon a number that rang a neighbouring city's 911 service. I gave that number to my sister and told her to give it to creepy guys that ask for her phone number that she didn't want to give it to. good times.

There are other things that I did, but most stuff is so OBE that the majority of you wouldn't understand :)

Try me. I would understand.

Ever hear of IMTS? I bet IMTS was long gone before the vast majority of people on this forum were even born! :lol:

Ever hear of IMTS? I bet IMTS was long gone before the vast majority of people on this forum were even born! :lol:

Some kind of fore runner to cellular? radio phones or radio connected telephone service... interesting.. I miss the old analogue cellular networks from early-mid nineties.. now that was fun! :)

Found a cell phone on the ground, did some experimenting and got it to make free calls. :) Then did break ins, and other nasty fun things! Ah those were the days.

Funny thing is people don't think you can still do these things on todays networks. Hah.

Please don't laugh at me.I saw Live Free or Die Hard about a year ago and there were hacking terms I didn't understand so I looked them up on the internet and found out about phreaking and it sounded really interesting.Then I made a beige box.

Please don't laugh at me.I saw Live Free or Die Hard about a year ago and there were hacking terms I didn't understand so I looked them up on the internet and found out about phreaking and it sounded really interesting.Then I made a beige box.

LOL @ you.

But seriously, similar story here. For me, I saw the movie Hackers when I was really little (about 10/11) and thats pretty much why I started my 'hacking' career. From that point on, phreaking was always a side interest to the main focus of computer hacking, but a couple years back (maybe 2?) I started really getting into it. I guess my first phreak was red boxing this pay-phone at a local arcade lol.

Some kind of fore runner to cellular? radio phones or radio connected telephone service... interesting.. I miss the old analogue cellular networks from early-mid nineties.. now that was fun! :)

IMTS was pre-AMPS mobile phone. It was fun to listen to the calls. People assumed that no one was listening in. :)

Great listening back in the 80s before cellular was common. Lots of great info was given out. And if you could decode the signals.... you could have a little fun. Nuff said.

IMTS was pre-AMPS mobile phone. It was fun to listen to the calls. People assumed that no one was listening in. :)

Great listening back in the 80s before cellular was common. Lots of great info was given out. And if you could decode the signals.... you could have a little fun. Nuff said.

In the 80's? Then I know about that stuff. I was in my 20's in the 80's so I know about it.

I figured I would know since I'm older than most here too.

Beige box, 7th grade. It was super easy to be stealthy. My friend had underground phone lines so he had that small, rectangular box behind his house. Not that huge (in comparison) one that you need a 7/16 hex to get into.

When I was about 14 I used to plug an old trimline phone into the neighbor's TNI box before I knew what beige boxing was. I did not like my brother's friends so I used to kill the phone line (they needed the phone and would leave if it was not working) to force them to leave the house and I would head over to the neighbor's and plug in the trimline to make calls.

Made a beige box back in 1990, also hooked my modem up to the BT cab box.

Wow.. that was a long time ago... I can remember my first drink easier than remembering my first phreak...

Lemme see.. it was *cough*allegedly*cough* dialing for k0d3z, or scamming Ma Bell or Sprint for phone cards (when they treated phone cards like credit cards), or hooking up service to vacant apartments then running the extension into my bedroom, trying the quarter on a string trick on payphones and arcade machines, dialing into Interchat 201 through their phreaked 800 number, Alliance Teleconferences when 1-700's were cool...

Something of that nature...