Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Redneck

web programming?

12 posts in this topic

I am learning python right now. I would like to learn a little bit about web-programming. I would like to be able to create a web-page. What should i use HTML or something else?. Thank you everyone.

HTML isn't programming. It's writing markup. An example language for use in web app development would be PHP or ASP.NET\C#.

Well i am still getting things figured out. So anything is useful. thank you

If you want to learn web programming try learning HTML first. I just say that because a lot of PHP, ASP.net, and even javascript tutorials assume basic knowledge of HTML.

Just looking for a good place to start. do appreciate the advice. I will do the research just needed some ideas thank you

I divide things up like this:

Static content (ie: display content not from a database) = HTML, CSS

Dynamic content (ie: Show data stored within a database) = PHP/ASP

Start with static content, because you use HTML to display any dynamic content anyway.

Also AJAX is hot right now.

I divide things up like this:

Static content (ie: display content not from a database) = HTML, CSS

Dynamic content (ie: Show data stored within a database) = PHP/ASP

Start with static content, because you use HTML to display any dynamic content anyway.

Also AJAX is hot right now.

Thank you. Good way to do it. I jotted that down.

Learning HTML is really easy. You can just dig in at places like http://www.w3schools.com/ and learn how to do all the basics in a single sitting. Doing layouts and such are harder, so you might want to stick with layouts you find on the web for now. There are sites devoted to just layouts you can use for your site. The problem is, layouts are done in CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) and this is quite tricky, especially since every browser handles CSS slightly differently. Learning CSS is is a major stumbling block, but HTML markup is really easy.

If you're wanting to design websites, you need to know HTML. It's the glue that holds everything together.

After that, what you learn depends on what you want to do:

• ASP: To have the server generate content for you.
  • CSS: For having more control on how the content appears on a web page.
  • java script: For having the local computer generate/control content.
  • PHP: To have the server generate content for you (alternative to ASP.)

Most website designers blend all of the above (ASP aside.) Then there's also getting to know MySQL, AJAX, etc. etc.

Edited by Seal

If your learning Python, HTML will be a piece of peeece. HTML is just markup, ie: it's like using MS Word and applying Bold, Italic and a Font Colour, don't sweat it.

PS, I'd go for PHP/MySQL over ASP, PHP/MySQL means you can use a Linux server, using ASP means using a MS server, and Linux server > MS server.

CSS is a bizatch, CSS can do cool sheet though, 'yo.

:)

Everyone here thank you so much. I am learning lots of great stuff and hope to contribute in the same way you all have. :voteyes: