Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colonel Panic

Hack your whole damn house

10 posts in this topic

What this guy has done is quite incredible. He has installed sensors all over his home for real-time monitoring of all his utility usages, climate conditions in all the rooms, and various household events. The house detects doors, windows, fridge doors, and electric-motorized curtains opening and closing; lights, water heater, laundry appliances, air conditioning and heat switching on and off; toilets flushing, burglar alarm status, movement of objects on his property, etc. He also has many security webcams monitoring areas around the house at all times.

He's devised software that collects all this data on a second-by-second basis and stores it in a database, and has developed a Web application that parses all this data and makes it available anywhere in the world via HTTP.

Of course I consider the idea of publicly posting all this detailed information about his family's life on the Web to be pretty crazy, but the scope and implementation of the system he has devised is pretty amazing. I'd like to do the same kind of thing but make it accessible only to myself via VPN.

A ham radio enthusiast friend of my dad's has an elaborate monitoring setup in his house which he can use to remotely control the lighting, view most of the rooms via webcam, control his burglar alarm and get a text message in the event of a break-in, all through his Palm Treo cellphone. He can even remotely control his many amateur radio rigs including his repeater, and watch any channel on his satellite TV service through his phone.

Edited by Colonel Panic

Wow.. that guy is thorough.. Even tells you how long the mail box was open, or when someone opened up a waste basket..

Very impressive. If you turn his lights on, please be sure to turn them back off.

Hardcore indeed.

I have always wanted to create my own home stead of some sort. I think all this man really needs now is some solar cells to power his own house, a green house to grown his own food, and some kind of water supply with a renewable water purification system that he can make him self. Never the less you can already tell that he is saving money by monitoring all the resources he is using, especially water.

Edited by SUB-S0NIX

What this guy has done is quite incredible. He has installed sensors all over his home for real-time monitoring of all his utility usages, climate conditions in all the rooms, and various household events. The house detects doors, windows, fridge doors, and electric-motorized curtains opening and closing; lights, water heater, laundry appliances, air conditioning and heat switching on and off; toilets flushing, burglar alarm status, movement of objects on his property, etc. He also has many security webcams monitoring areas around the house at all times.

He's devised software that collects all this data on a second-by-second basis and stores it in a database, and has developed a Web application that parses all this data and makes it available anywhere in the world via HTTP.

Of course I consider the idea of publicly posting all this detailed information about his family's life on the Web to be pretty crazy, but the scope and implementation of the system he has devised is pretty amazing. I'd like to do the same kind of thing but make it accessible only to myself via VPN.

A ham radio enthusiast friend of my dad's has an elaborate monitoring setup in his house which he can use to remotely control the lighting, view most of the rooms via webcam, control his burglar alarm and get a text message in the event of a break-in, all through his Palm Treo cellphone. He can even remotely control his many amateur radio rigs including his repeater, and watch any channel on his satellite TV service through his phone.

Monitor toilet flushing? Hmmm... I may need that, you never know if some unknown person may flush it. Jk. Haha..wtf?

I believe it ties into his monitoring of all the family's water usage.

what kind of sensors u need for that ??

awsome :)

For a toilet? a water level sensor would be fine for that, or a float switch like for a sump pump. There are water meters that send their stats via radio too.

what kind of sensors u need for that ??

awsome :)

For a toilet? a water level sensor would be fine for that, or a float switch like for a sump pump. There are water meters that send their stats via radio too.

A digital input on/off proximity sensor on the flush arm would work fine and be an inexpensive way to count flushes.

that seems like alot of work for not to me. as yeah thats probably more than 500watts running 24/7 what with a cpu/server multiple cameras, just about everything else could be done analog as to not use any power intuill the action has been done e.g. a switch for the toilet pin# connected to pin# +1 flushes. not going to say it was hard work but he did do alot of work to make it all work together.