Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deickos

Anonymous ip with linux ?

10 posts in this topic

You have to be a lot more specific about what you want.

You can't just "be anonymous" on the Internet. In order for there to be any communication at all, the second party has to know who you are. Even with a proxy server, the proxy server knows who you are. You can do also do things to disguise your real identity, such as spoofing your MAC address and using an open wifi router away from your house. This doesn't make your anonymous on the Internet, but it does prevent anyone who's tracked the IP address from finding your real identity.

The closest to true anonymity I know is Tor. It's something like stringing a number of encrypted proxy servers together. No proxy knows both the source and destination of the communication. It can be compromised, but it's very difficult. It's also extremely slow.

As Ohm said you should check out tor for anonymity, however be aware that everything you do will still come out unencrypted at the other end. Tor works by having some people run exit nodes and that means they could throw up a packet sniffer and see everything you do. Of course, they wont know who you are but if you do something like login to email, forums etc it would be trivial to capture usernames and passwords and work from there. Not the mention the more important things like credit card numbers etc.

On a separate note, deickos, you've been asking quite a lot of questions recently. Why not post in the nubie hq section? Im sure other non binrev members would benefit from your posts.

Good point, moved to Newbie HQ.

well i will be more specific

i was trying to find the equivalent of hotspot shield in linux

that's connecting to a server and then reach internet right?

Use TOR and change your MAC address and your practically good to go. Tor is multi-platform.

Yes, that's the main idea behind proxy servers. Connecting to other servers to disguise your IP address. The only problem is that the proxy server knows who connected to it. So your best bet would be to goto like Starbucks or McDonalds (use TOR if your super paranoid) and spoof your MAC address. That's what I would :D

Use TOR and change your MAC address and your practically good to go. Tor is multi-platform.

Yes, that's the main idea behind proxy servers. Connecting to other servers to disguise your IP address. The only problem is that the proxy server knows who connected to it. So your best bet would be to goto like Starbucks or McDonalds (use TOR if your super paranoid) and spoof your MAC address. That's what I would :D

The concept of being TOTALLY anonymous is really hard to come by. Sure you can leech wifi and spoof your mac addy, but remember that any one can be watching or logging all traffic, aka the PHEDZ ( Mark Klein ). Starbucks and McD's is actually a bad choice if you plan on leeching wifi because of their cameras. TOR can definitely throw some one for a ride if you they are trying to trace you, but once again anything and everything can be logged. I am not to sure if TOR has this option, but I believe it does. I would look up all exit nodes from TOR and only use exit nodes in countries that have relatively slim to none internet laws. It would make even better sense to VPN to another server in another country with slim laws, and then hop on the internet from there. The only people you would really have to worry about monitoring your traffic would be the NSA and their Think1ng C0mput3r and DCS 3O00. Oh and Eagle Eye is real.. :)

Speaking of exit nodes, I'm pretty sure that was one of it's vulnerabilities. I think it was possible to set yourself up to be an exit node, then you could sniff the out-going unencrypted data (that is, if I remember right) I may have it mixed up or something, or they may have fixed it, but I mean, even thats been cut down. So TOR would still probably remain a good choice.

Speaking of exit nodes, I'm pretty sure that was one of it's vulnerabilities. I think it was possible to set yourself up to be an exit node, then you could sniff the out-going unencrypted data (that is, if I remember right) I may have it mixed up or something, or they may have fixed it, but I mean, even thats been cut down. So TOR would still probably remain a good choice.

Yeah, if you're an exit node you can see all the packets leaving and coming in on your connection just by sniffing your own packets. You won't know where the packets are coming from / going to through the TOR network, but you can still see what's in the packet. The thing about this is if you enter any PII ( such as a username, credit card, etc...) then all the "anonymity" afforded by the network is blown wide open.

Tor even works well with SSLStrip running on an exit node. Not even SSL will save you on Tor (unless you manually visit an https URL).