Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
raven

redboxing

5 posts in this topic

basically i am a complete newb at phreaking and i am trying to learn more, but most of the things i know are out of date im told, IE redboxing payphones, i got the tones on my computer and have also put them on my minidisk, now is it worth it to try it on phones, and if i do try and it doesnt work will a opp come on the line and bitch me out (thats still fun)??

raven

Lemme give you a few tips, first, don't redbox to a familer number, especially while experimenting. Second, most pay phones now mute the mouthpeice when dialing a call. Now, some argue this means that it won't work, but the trick is to get your self in a situation where the mouth piece is not muted, aka, operated assisted calling ;) It's usefull to be "visually impared" here. Lastbut not least, if you walk away calmly from a situation, the "real guy" is the one that ran ;)

Actually, the trick is to just find an old Western Electric 1C- or 1D- type coin phone (or the Automatic Electric equivalent, if you're in a GTE area) and dial an ACTS-handled call. Don't even bother with the operators.

In fact, if you go to http://www.stromcarlson.com/audio/ and listen to the Pacific Bell ACTS recording, you'll hear what Nortel's TOPS ACTS sounds like. The call in that example could easily have been redboxed (note how you can hear through the mouthpoece whilst I'm depositing coins), but I wanted to get the sound of actual coin collect on the recording.