Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NL-Stitch

Car Hacking

13 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I heard from a friend once that a standard car (unleaded fuel) could run on alcohol. (The engine would run much faster, though.)

I have some NitroFuel hanging around which used in R/C cars, and it would be a cool idea to make an injection so I can make my own cheap turbo. The bottle costs about 25 euros for 5 liters, So it's very expensive.. but I would like to experiment with it.

Could I hack my car to do the folowing?

Normal Situation:

Engine <- Fuel line <- Fuel pump <- Gastank

New situation:

Engine <- Fuel line <- Fuel Pump <- Gastank AND a valve which can be closed electric by a switch <- Nitro Fuel Bottle

I know, It may sound very crazy to with your car, but I like to have fun =) , and Im curious as hell.

Very the Gearheads amongst us here are the specs of my cookiejar:

It's a Peugeot 205, 1.4L

Fuel type: Unleaded standard Fuel

Number of cilinders: 4

I bet you don't have those in the US =P

Cheers,

Edited by NL-Stitch

1. Get a camera

2. Do it

3. Whatever happens, put it on YouTube

4. ???

5. Profit!

It's a Peugeot 205, 1.4L

Fuel type: Unleaded standard Fuel

Number of cilinders: 4

I bet you don't have those in the US =P

peugeot_205_gti_14_03_05.jpg

I think we called them "Le Car." :P

hahaha, I guess there are no car hackers @ binrev, ROFLCOPTER.

tried it on a little toyota w grain alcohol (everclear), straight up everclear and it burns too clean and misfires lots, needs an adulterant on purpose, so a 60/40 of gas to alcohol..

:)

Edited by IndexPhinger

you would want the nitro infront of the gas tank so when the valve is opened it will pull from the nitro instead of thru the tank and then the nitro it would just pull the nitro into the gas tank. and everclear isn't pure alcohol e.g. you would want 200proof corn moonshine/methanol. methanol needs higher compression so you would have to modify the engine, but would pay of in a fold or so in power increas at the cost of the engine being destroyed very fast, e.g. nascar's run on methanol. and we dont usually have peugeot's in the us but alot of new small cars are 4cyl 16v, but yeah if you had a specific mixture of nitro to gas or air, personally i would just experiment with something like mapgas and o2, as its pressurized and comes in a nice little bottle, but if you had fuel injectors would just have to shoot o2 in and would act like a turbo accept can get high pressure e.g. 16< psi. but it wont handle good like a diesel and take like 125+ psi. but if you had diesel you would actually have a good chance at running methanol.

I don't think it's very easy to find 100% alcohol. 95.6% alcohol forms an azeotropic mixture with water, and it's exceptionally hard to further separate.

I don't think it's very easy to find 100% alcohol. 95.6% alcohol forms an azeotropic mixture with water, and it's exceptionally hard to further separate.

true thats why i suggested corn moonshine its easy to make/get and is fairly close to pure alcohol, and is pretty much free compared to the 190 proof everclear which is fairly illegal. its also probably not that hard to make alcohol with chemistry instead of distilling bio's and water.

Edited by dinscurge

true thats why i suggested corn moonshine its easy to make/get and is fairly close to pure alcohol, and is pretty much free compared to the 190 proof everclear which is fairly illegal. its also probably not that hard to make alcohol with chemistry instead of distilling bio's and water.

Except of course, that everclear is not illegal.

its illegal in over 13 states. and i doubt ever clear is pure, im sure the ingredients label isn't water-corn.

First and foremost, your motor is not designed to run nitro. You're fuel system is not set up for it. You'd need bigger injectors and upgraded lines. What a lot of performance cars run is methanol injection as opposed to running a leaded performance gas (like the 110 Octane I put in my car ;])

Your best bet is nitrous oxide injection. It works similar to what you're describing. You splice your fuel line and put a T-connector in there. You run the nitrous solenoids into your intake manifold, as well as the new 'fuel line' you've created. That way you don't run 'lean' (too much oxygen, not enough fuel) when you spray the car.

its illegal in over 13 states. and i doubt ever clear is pure, im sure the ingredients label isn't water-corn.

Oh. Well. That sucks for them. As for the ingredients, for the 95% version, there isn't much that can be added to that 1% that isn't water. And apparently, there is a 151 proof version of everclear. WTF.

Oh. Well. That sucks for them. As for the ingredients, for the 95% version, there isn't much that can be added to that 1% that isn't water. And apparently, there is a 151 proof version of everclear. WTF.

actually i think it was illegial in 13 not over 13 states but whatever. personaly just get some powerfull injectors and just use pure oxygen i mean its like 99% not 20% like in air so you would probably only need like 5-10psi to make your car have the power as if it had a turbocharger with a turbo booster without the turbo lagg of course as its already pressurized so yeah..

or you could just save up 30k and buy a a fast car like the subaru wrx and have like a 4.7seconds to 0-60mph