Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pan

Identity of the local number from a 1-800 call

8 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

If a 1-800 number maps to a regular local number, is there a way to get the local number? From the RESPORG? From the call itself? Is there an ANAC type service that could retrieve it from a call (in either direction actually)? Someone mentioned having used a service similar to ANAC to retrieve that info. I'm curious how that works.

thanks for any thoughts.

A few years back when I used to hang out on BellsMind conference boards a lot, some guys got on and showed a few of us how to reverse an 800 number.

I believe we did it for the elevator that everyone was calling in Florida, specifically the 800 number that the phone dialed out to when you picked it up in the elevator emergency phone. It was for some security company if memory serves.

We called a RespOrg and found that the 800 number was through ATT, from there I don't know who exactly we called at ATT but we said we where a pbx operator and needed to terminate a line directly to that number for calling.

This was a few years back so I'm not certain I remember all of it.

Hi folks,

If a 1-800 number maps to a regular local number, is there a way to get the local number? From the RESPORG? From the call itself? Is there an ANAC type service that could retrieve it from a call (in either direction actually)? Someone mentioned having used a service similar to ANAC to retrieve that info. I'm curious how that works.

thanks for any thoughts.

Not all "800 numbers" are connected to a "regular local" number.

It'd have to translate to something dialable, though, right? Either way, whenever you place a call to an 800 number, your switch sends the call to an STP that does an SMS/800 database lookup before it can be completed. I guess if you're lucky, you might know someone who has access to that database.

Actually, come to think of it, the AT&T customer service reps who do RESPORG lookups (the real reps, not the automated machine that's been doing lookups since forever) have access to the SMS/800 database, you could probably ask them what's up.

It'd have to translate to something dialable, though, right?

Not necessarily something dialable by a customer.

There are toll-free numbers that aren't just translated to a regular, geographic phone number. I'm not sure how often that is the case though, as far as percentages.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that the vast majority of "800" numbers are just "forwards" to a regular number... but not all of them.

What did you have in mind? I always thought that at the very most, it'd be something like a toll-free that routes to the equivelant of the AT&T 959 exchange, or something like it only under a certain PIC or long distance network. Maybe a 0xx or 1xx code too, but those don't really count as undialable; depending on what kind of switch you're running on, a bit of phreakery will get the job done without even needing touchtones.

There are toll-free numbers that aren't just translated to a regular, geographic phone number. I'm not sure how often that is the case though, as far as percentages.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that the vast majority of "800" numbers are just "forwards" to a regular number... but not all of them.

How does 900 number routing work? They don't have PSTN back doors, or at least haven't for a while, right?

How does 900 number routing work? They don't have PSTN back doors, or at least haven't for a while, right?

Ya know, I'm not sure if anyone still has "back doors." I haven't found one since 2003, but I haven't looked for one since 2003, so that doesn't prove anything. lol.

If I had to guess, I would say that using DNIS would render a back door number useless. They would easily see that you didn't come through on the 900. That's assuming that a back door number even exists.

As far as routing, I have no clue. Someone should find docs on that.