Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

Pesky screw on my laptop

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to see how hard it would be to replace hinges on my laptop. I've taken all but one screw off the bottom to open it up, but it's pretty tight. I believe i'm close to striping the screw head. Does anyone have any recommendations that might get this screw out without striping the screw head?

Thanks!

you could try turning it both ways to try and get it free from what ever is locking it in place.

I use a mini torch for screws and bolts that are frozen.

blzgb4001_LG.jpg

The trick is to heat the screw quick and not let the flame do any damage to surrounding parts.

I suggest a left hand drill bit in a small drill. As you drill out the screw in the ccw direction, the drill will usually catch and back out the screw.

Really make sure you have the right screw driver. Even if it just sort of fits, you're wasting most of your effort keeping the driver planted in the screw, and not turning it. Having the right driver in the first place usually fixes everything. Also, the right driver tip for an L-shaped driver really helps, gives you so much torque that no screw will hold you back.

Also, and this is very rare, some screws turn the other way. I've seen this several times, but they all seem to be screws on a shaft that, the way the shaft turns, would just loosen the screw if it were to turn the normal way.

Impact Driver?

I use one to free stuck screws all the time. I use it with a 5/16 to 1/4 socket adapter so I can use finer/standard screwdriver tips.

take an old tee-shirt, make sure you are using 1 piece of fabric, place it on driver tit then try loosening it like that, making the driver slightly bigger by 0.7ish mm...

not too much tourqe or you're just gonna rip holes in the fabric and gotta start agn.

Edited by IndexPhinger