Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
indexphinger

building FM "Throwies"

10 posts in this topic

I want to combine a simple beeping device, that beeps every...5 seconds of a continuous 1000hz tone for 0.5s, and attatch it to an FM "Bug", Thus creating a sort of mini buoy...

http://web.telia.com/~u85920178/tx/bug5.htm

that could have its beeping attenuated to a different signal, like 2600hz, for monitoring of different throwies.

on 107.9mhz.

Edited by IndexPhinger

Okay, cool.

Let me know how it goes.

Looking at the circuit you linked:

bug5c.gif

Every thing to the Left of CX is a mic and preamp, the output of this slightly affects the frequency (hence FM modulation) of oscillator built around the BC547 and the BC557 is a power amp.

If you are wanting a pulsed output (or something) you would probably be better off using a small micro (8 pin PIC or the like) to generate the 'tones' and couple this with a oscillator/power amp. With a bit of care in the design you may be able to use the PIC and/or PLL as the oscillator, providing you can get enough frequency stability out of it.

BTW if you *really* want to piss some people off, use a slightly offensive message in morse code (with 2600Hz tone of course) in the 2m HAM band, you WILL be hunted down by a horde of angry old men ;-)

Have fun.

Mungewell.

If I find time, I'll see what I can help with. This sounds like a neat concept!

If I find time, I'll see what I can help with. This sounds like a neat concept!

Hmm, Shortwave and FM throwies seem like a nice project.

if possible they could be morse too, beeping out a single letter or digit like a beacon would, and you could...Attatch them to a QSL card for other radiophiles to find :)

on 107.9mhz.

Please come to the greater Boston area and amplify your signal as to override the unbelievably crappy station that currently uses that frequency. Seriously, many will thank you.

on 107.9mhz.

Please come to the greater Boston area and amplify your signal as to override the unbelievably crappy station that currently uses that frequency. Seriously, many will thank you.

Now, why would I come to the GBA just to do some script kiddie stuff? Pay my bail and plane ticket and I'll go take out their tower, phinger style.

WXKS-FM transmits at 107.9 MHz with an effective radiated power of 20.5 kW.

If you give me a good honda generator or something I'll blotto box their main transmitter :)

Edited by IndexPhinger

If I was to do that - which I woudn't - I think I'd have to hijack their STL first, have some fun with their listeners, and THEN move on to the more destructive methods.

In your best announcer voice: "It's 10 o'clock at WXKS-FM Medford/Boston, a sound service of Crap Channel Communications. We now return to (insert your favorite H/P podcast), here on the NEW HackRadio 107.9... can you /phear/ me now?" :D

Just my US$0.02.

EDIT: actually, you might not even need to physically go there - I read an article recently that mentioned how CC was installing new STL over IP systems, which are little more than a pair of Barix streaming encoder/decoder boxes connected to two-way VSAT rigs (serviced by HughesNet, IIRC).

Or, if you're patient, you could just wait for Clear Channel to self-destruct on its own :P

Edited by nwbell

I can think of a few uses that would make these useful little buddies to have hanging about.

1. tracking beacons, for following cars and such.

2. tiny repeaters, for moving the "transmitting location" around o searchers have to follow a huge trail of tiny repeaters to find your original location.

3. airwave saturation, for obstructing enemies. not sure how effective that would be what with spread spectrum and all these days.

any update on this project? i'd like to keep track of it.

good luck!

on 107.9mhz.

If you really wanted it gone, you could make a few of this "throwies" and plant them all over the city.

They're so small, it wouldn't be hard to find a perm. power source.

The whole city would never hear of that station again.

But don't do that or anything...that would be bad.

Edited by R4p1d