howyadoin

Is there an Asterisk or ? for WINDOWS?

13 posts in this topic

The title says it all...........

Is there something like it that'll work on Windows, Vista that is?

I believe theres an Asterisk OS called 'Asterisk@Home' Either you could dual-boot with your box, or install something like VMware and run Asterisk@Home in a virtual machine on your Windows box. Boot into the VM, and you're set.

If you happen to just need some basic PBX functions, there's a PBX for Skype called PrettyMay at http://www.prettymay.net/callcenter/

It's pricey at $200, but there is a free trial period. There's another Asterisk-like system for Windows, but I can't think of the name of it. I'll try to find a link to whatever that is tomorrow.

Both FreeSwitch (open) and 3cx (proprietary) support Windows.

I believe theres an Asterisk OS called 'Asterisk@Home' Either you could dual-boot with your box, or install something like VMware and run Asterisk@Home in a virtual machine on your Windows box. Boot into the VM, and you're set.

I looked it up. It's now called tribox... rats, they expect me to pay for it. ugg.

Both FreeSwitch (open) and 3cx (proprietary) support Windows.

Cool. Thanx. I'll make a note of it.

Swell. I think I'll start with this one. And I've made a note of FreeSwitch in case I need it later.

Thanx guys. Now I can have some phun with pbx. :lol::D

Oh, btw, if anyone has others to mention go ahead and list them all. Then I'll add them to my list in case I should switch later.

I looked it up. It's now called tribox... rats, they expect me to pay for it. ugg.

Trixbox CE (Community Edition) is free (as in beer & speech).

Rats. Had nothing but bad luck with my attempts.

RE : 3cx

freewsitch

pbxinaflash

The problems I had were (which caused me to give up) :

3cx- doesn't work on my version of Vista which is Vista Home Premium

freewsitch - comes as a .tar file; have never been able to figure how to install these and this time was no different (though I had WinRAR this didn't help at all).

pbxinaflash - needs 2 files to be downloaded or it wont install. site doesnt say where to get these files. also needed to download something else in order to install it, but the link where to find this has nothing which indicates which of the 20 on the list is the one you need and they were all different things.

So, now I have no asterisk-like pbx again... ugg. I hate when that happens.

Since I'm on the topic, I need something that's for Vista Home Premium (the system is dual core).

pbxinaflash - needs 2 files to be downloaded or it wont install. site doesnt say where to get these files. also needed to download something else in order to install it, but the link where to find this has nothing which indicates which of the 20 on the list is the one you need and they were all different things.

you didn't bother to find another VM preconfigured ISO of PIAF (which you don't have to install),

there are links just dig or ask on PIAF forums

then download vmplayer, read for example this

http://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=196

and play

BTW : my second choice is this (neat and easy distro)

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/elastix/E...e-VMWare.tar.gz

to unpack linux archives you can easily use WinRAR

Edited by Havoc

Trixbox CE (Community Edition) is free (as in beer & speech).

Well. Today is my bad luck day apparently. I looked over tribox and don't think I can use it because of what I found here and here and so no one has to read what's at these links, I'll paste it below :

Installing the ISO

Last Updated: 4-21-2009

Warning: installing this ISO will format your computer and erase your hard drive.

It will remove all partitions as soon at you boot the cd without confirming. If it happened you can try to recover partitions with TestDisk

Boot a machine with the ISO. We recommend at least a 500MHZ PIII with 256megs of RAM.

Press enter to start the install process.

Enter the root password twice this will be the password you use when logging into the Linux command line.

The system will eject your CD. Take it out of the drive. After an automatic reboot your system should be ready.

Notice the part on "Enter the root password twice this will be the password you use when logging into the Linux command line."? This is for Linux but I have Windows and there is no install guide for Windows so I'm not going to try it and "hope" it works somehow.

Q: What is the most important thing to know about installing trixbox?

A: During the install process, ALL hard drives connected to your system will be formatted and all data will be lost. This will even apply to any external USB drives.

This is found in the FAQ section and I noted I see no workaround. I do NOT need to format everything and lose Windows. Too afraid to use it then.

So, now I'm out of options thus far. Any more I can try?