Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deickos

Can external HD be restored ?

9 posts in this topic

this is pretty serious guys-

i was trying to format a usb flash and the program started formatting my external Lacie disk

i immediately stopped the operation but the disk is currently unusable -

is there ant chance i can save my data ?

i was calm so far but PL╬ĽASE HELP !

Was it a quick format, or a full format? What program did the formatting? Windows? A Linux installer?

If it was just a quick format, all your files are still there. The same goes for creating an EXT3 filesystem. There are (apparently, I've never used them) programs that can search the drive for files and recover them for you. If it was a full format, the same thing goes except some of your files will be missing or damaged.

Was it a quick format, or a full format? What program did the formatting? Windows? A Linux installer?

If it was just a quick format, all your files are still there. The same goes for creating an EXT3 filesystem. There are (apparently, I've never used them) programs that can search the drive for files and recover them for you. If it was a full format, the same thing goes except some of your files will be missing or damaged.

i was using the HP formating tool under windows - it was for sure a quick format and it only lasted 1-2 seconds before i saw and stopped it -

now i turn on the drive and when i try to click it it says it has to be formatted

If nothing has yet been written to the disk the partitions should be recoverable with special software software.

EDIT: some partition recovery software will scan the drive for recoverable data and ask for registration before anything can be recovered. At least that way you'll know if it is recoverable before making a purchase...

Edited by tekio

Testdisk + PhotoRec

All you need.

Testdisk + PhotoRec

All you need.

Very nice! *downloading*

If testdisk/photorec doesn't work try a program called Get Data Back for NTFS...this program saved my life when I lost both primary/backup MFT on one of my ntfs filesystems and Testdisk wouldn't recover it. It lets you scan the drive to see if it can recover things before you buy it, so you know if it's going to work or not before shelling out $$.

you could try using encase, or helix to get some of your files back.

Testdisk + PhotoRec

All you need.

Never had to use Testdisk yet, but PhotoRec works like a charm. I absolutely love these two apps!