Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dial Tone

2.6.29 kernel rpm?

7 posts in this topic

Ok, this one project I'm working on requires the AP mode support added in 2.6.29.

However my fedora install didn't come with this kernel.

I have two options: compiling from source, or installing it via an rpm

I haven't been able to find an rpm for that particular kernel release however, and I have no clue how to update my kernel from source. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you'll need to compile a kernel for yourself. What you'll need to do is extract the kernel source, put in the fedora .config, make your modifications and compile. Fedora might also have a way for you to make an RPM out of this and install it normally.

I haven't compiled a kernel in a very long time, and I don't know how the modern package managers install them and generate files like menu.lst. So I have no specifics for you.

tar -jxf kernel-sources.tar.bz2
cd kernel-sources
make menuconfig
make
make modules
make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel.date
nano -w /boot/grub/menu.lst

Replace "kernel-sources" with the file you downloaded. Also replace "kernel.date" with the filename you want to give the kernel in /boot.

tar -jxf kernel-sources.tar.bz2
cd kernel-sources
make menuconfig
make
make modules
make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel.date
nano -w /boot/grub/menu.lst

Replace "kernel-sources" with the file you downloaded. Also replace "kernel.date" with the filename you want to give the kernel in /boot.

Thanks a lot!

There's two problems with that. First, you didn't copy the Fedora .config in there. Fedora most likely relies on some custom configs in order for everything to work as expected. If you're really unlucky, they have their own set of patches. Second, some distros try to monopolize menu.lst. Next automatic update, you might find your custom kernel was removed from menu.lst, or their newest kernel added as the default. This is why you need to seek distro-specific advice.