Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deickos

Wireless : Ubuntu vs Vista

6 posts in this topic

Has wless better performance with ubuntu ? i connect to networks that could hardly even detect with vista

I never really understood why this should vary from OS to OS. I see an extra wireless network here on Ubuntu, but I don't see it on XP.

I think Windows might be trying to be smart. I can't connect to the extra network here, the signal is too weak. Maybe Windows is guessing that it's too weak to connect to, and not even displaying it?

I never really understood why this should vary from OS to OS. I see an extra wireless network here on Ubuntu, but I don't see it on XP.

I think Windows might be trying to be smart. I can't connect to the extra network here, the signal is too weak. Maybe Windows is guessing that it's too weak to connect to, and not even displaying it?

The quality of the driver influences the results. I'm registered on the broadcom linux driver mailing list, and I read what they're saying from time to time, and I once read something about one version that has problems because it discards too much packets, like if they didn't know the chip well enough to utilize it full power.

However, the biggest limiting factor is the hardware itself. If it's crap, then the OS can't make it good.

The quality of the driver influences the results. I'm registered on the broadcom linux driver mailing list, and I read what they're saying from time to time, and I once read something about one version that has problems because it discards too much packets, like if they didn't know the chip well enough to utilize it full power.

However, the biggest limiting factor is the hardware itself. If it's crap, then the OS can't make it good.

yeah the driver can have a big impact on the wireless cards features and options, i notice this especially when using the same wireless card in xp then using it in vista. also you might try turning off vistas autotuning feature. its set to ON by default.

from the command line you can use

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled to turn it off you can also use the same command with "enable" to turn it back on. after you do this restart and see if that helps.

also avail is netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Vista's been known to have quite a bit of wireless issues, from what you're noticing it as described above, mainly issues of varying drivers.

You may wish to go in the Device Manager in those cases and see if you have the flexibility to modify specific channel your card is waiting on to try and connect to the Specific AP or adjust other settings to try and make it cooperate better.

I believe the top two Vista Wireless issues consist of the DHCP flag and Vista wanting a DHCP response in a matter of seconds.

The vista flag can be adjusted with a quick registry entry.

I haven't noticed a difference between ubuntu and vista, they both render about 8-10 AP's in my neighbourhood. Now, with Sabayon I register about 20 AP's some of which I've never seen before. I never tried to associate because I just use what I know works. Using atheros 5007eg.

When did Sabayon get rid of all the cool games anyways? That was the best part! :D

Edited by eth0s