Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lostbaka

Sewing Machines

8 posts in this topic

So after spending most of Saturday at at Near-fest, my friend and i stopped stopped at craft store on the way back home (Hey sewing machines are computerized so i was up for it). What caught my eye on this trip was a Husqvarna Viking, i think that was the mfg, sewing machine. The removable card that had all the stitch patterns looked to have the contact pattern of a smart card.

Are these things actually smart\memory cards? Has anyone messed with these?

Sewing machine? I'm not sure why a sewing machine would need a memory card (or a computer, for that matter). Maybe you mean an embroidery machine?

Sewing machine? I'm not sure why a sewing machine would need a memory card (or a computer, for that matter). Maybe you mean an embroidery machine?

i think you're right. it probably was an embrroidery machine

They can be both. I've seen ones that can be used as a regular sewing machine and as a pattern sewer.

See if you can find a card on discount or clearance, or broken, and pop it open and see what controller and chips it has. Could be as simple as an i2c eeprom (Look at the Self Cleaning Cat poop stations that did the same)

i actually had one of these viking machines and i ended up taking it back and exchanging it for a singer model that was around the same price. the viking machine is both a sewing and embroidery machine but when you buy the machine you dont get a card you dont get the software and you dont get the card reader/writer. the machine alone was 1200 dollars and you had to spend another 700 or so just to be able to embroider. no thanks. theres many other cheaper alternatives if you want to start embroidering shit at home. the singer machines are a good start. for about 900 or so you can get a nice entry level machine that dosnt use the mem card bullshit and just hooks up via usb to the computer.

i actually had one of these viking machines and i ended up taking it back and exchanging it for a singer model that was around the same price. the viking machine is both a sewing and embroidery machine but when you buy the machine you dont get a card you dont get the software and you dont get the card reader/writer. the machine alone was 1200 dollars and you had to spend another 700 or so just to be able to embroider. no thanks. theres many other cheaper alternatives if you want to start embroidering shit at home. the singer machines are a good start. for about 900 or so you can get a nice entry level machine that dosnt use the mem card bullshit and just hooks up via usb to the computer.

on the topic of odd sewing machines...

Singer Izek, uses gameboy to make stitch patterns.

Izek.jpg

izek_01.jpg

izek_gameboy.jpg

on the topic of odd sewing machines...

Singer Izek, uses gameboy to make stitch patterns.

Izek.jpg

izek_01.jpg

izek_gameboy.jpg

I have one. :) it's fun to play with actually. I've always wanted to edit the rom ahaaha.