Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
binary_lulz

finding mount point in linux?

6 posts in this topic

Ok so I need to use dd to make a usb image bootable.

To do this, I need the actual path of the devide (Like /dev/blahblah not the name it has ala /media/usbdrive)

How can I find out what an entry in /media actually corresponds to?

df

You can also see the system messages with 'tail -f /var/log/messages' (CTRL-C to quit) which will tell you which /dev has been allocated to the drive as it is connected to the machine.

It's probably not a good idea to 'dd' data to a mounted drive, so you should 'umount' it first (or use the equivilant of eject from a file manager app).

Mungewell.

Thanks. Another error came up. I made sure in bios to turn off readyboost etc and set the drives to boot from USB, however when I try and boot with my USB image of fedora, nothing happens, and it just loads the default Xandros installation.

I'm not sure if I set up my USB device wrong or the BIOS wrong, but something is wrong and I have no clue what. Any ideas? :(

If you have old crap hardware (like me) then your machine might not boot from a USB-stick, you can use the following project to boot from CD or Floppy and then tell it to load the USB image:

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

It could also be that you have failed to make USB stick properly bootable, I would suggest trying another machine or using Unetbootin (or the like) to confirm that USB does boot OK with a know good image.

Cheers,

Mungewell.