Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
righteous_slave

Trying to fix my MP3 player

8 posts in this topic

I've got a Sylvania SMPK2072 mp3 player. It recently decided to conk out on me. When I turn it on, the light in the corner of the screen comes on, but nothing appears. All the files show up when it's plugged into the computer, so it's still storing files. It's been left on the charger overnight, cut all the files out, put them back in, put only what appear to be the system files back in, still nothing. Digging finally uncovered some troubleshooting help here, where it was suggested to download Sigmatel MSCN Audio Player from the cd that came with the player. Of course that is long gone, and evidently so is the company. More digging finally found a place to download the program, installed it, and it searches for players that are plugged in, and just sits there searching. So, are there any other suggestions about resurrecting this thing, other mp3 player firmware that may be compatible, or suggestions for experimentation with this new hunk of plastic?

I've got a Sylvania SMPK2072 mp3 player. It recently decided to conk out on me. When I turn it on, the light in the corner of the screen comes on, but nothing appears. All the files show up when it's plugged into the computer, so it's still storing files. It's been left on the charger overnight, cut all the files out, put them back in, put only what appear to be the system files back in, still nothing. Digging finally uncovered some troubleshooting help here, where it was suggested to download Sigmatel MSCN Audio Player from the cd that came with the player. Of course that is long gone, and evidently so is the company. More digging finally found a place to download the program, installed it, and it searches for players that are plugged in, and just sits there searching. So, are there any other suggestions about resurrecting this thing, other mp3 player firmware that may be compatible, or suggestions for experimentation with this new hunk of plastic?

Maybe holding the power button down for 10-20 seconds while powering it on may reset it?

No such luck. I've tried several "hold down the button" and "hold down A while pressing B" combinations as well, all to no avail.

No such luck. I've tried several "hold down the button" and "hold down A while pressing B" combinations as well, all to no avail.

Since this MP3 Player is unpopular it's resources are very limited. I honestly think you can't just use a different firmware that is similar, I am pretty sure you need the exact model for it to work properly. If you can find the cd or manufacturer's website or somebody who for some reason has a download link to its firmware than your in luck.

Buy another one just like it. Warranty the old MP3 player with the registration from the new, and return the new one back to the store from which it was purchased.

EDIT: of course that idea was just for educational purposes...

Edited by tekio

Maybe your screen is broken? If you remember how to get music playing without looking do that like (down select down twice select) see if music starts playing.

If that doesn't work.... Smash it on a rock... :-)

dissect it and get a decent walkman :)

:)

How old is this thing?

From your description, it sounds like a hardware issue. Maybe a bad connection on the display, or a component has just crapped out. That happens sometimes with consumer electronic devices.

The fix might be as simple as repairing a broken solder-point (which might not be a simple task at all, depending on how the unit is constructed), or it might be as difficult as replacing a tiny surface mount chip (hope you have a bench magnifier and a very steady soldering hand).

Open the case and inspect the solder-points that connect the display to the circuit board. If one of them is cracked or loose, then you've found the problem. If you can access the soldered connections, heat up your soldering iron and carefully hold the tip against the broken point without touching any of the other points. When heated, the solder should flow back into the crack and complete the connection. You might need to add a tiny bit more solder, but be careful not to add too much.

If the problem is not as simple as that, then the player is probably not even worth fixing. Because it's a digital device, you'd need special equipment and detailed knowledge of its operation to properly troubleshoot it. Because of the type of device it is and the fact that it was made in Asia, I'm sure you'll never find any kind of schematic or service manual for it (at least not one printed in English). Lacking the necessary gear and know-how, the only practical way to determine exactly which part is malfunctioning would be to replace suspect parts through trial-and-error, starting with the display. But in order to do that, you'd need a second one to cannibalize for parts. These kinds of devices are usually not designed to be easily repaired anyway. You know, "engineered obsolescence" and all that.

If I were you, I'd just salvage all the files off it and then go buy a new mp3 player. You can probably find a far better one on Ebay for very little money. I'd look for a used Archos, Cowon, Ipod, Creative Zen, or Zune.

Edited by Colonel Panic