sagarun

How to recover/update a corrupted eeprom

4 posts in this topic

i have an old desktop machine, which has intel 845GVSR motherboard with onboard LAN, I dual boot the machine (debian and windoze), while booting debian it clearly says "eeprom corrupted" and i am not able to connect the LAN from both in debian and windows.... what should i do?, updating bios will work?

The chip itself may be broken. That can happen with old EEPROM chips, though it's kind of rare.

I'd suggest ordering a replacement BIOS chip from somewhere like Mouser or Digikey. Make sure it's the same number and package (probably a PLCC). Find someone with an EEPROM programmer. These can be kind of expensive, so you probably don't want to buy one. Get an image for a new BIOS, program it and replace the chip. Erm.. that might be overboard, it would be easier to get a new motherboard :P

If you try to flash a broken BIOS chip, you could end up with a non-functioning machine. If it's not critical, you can try it but it may get zorked.

On the other hand, I don't think this has anything to do with your LAN problem. Unless of course the BIOS has the LAN disabled and you can't enable it again. If this is the only real problem, getting a PCI NIC would be a cheaper solution. Those things are dirt cheap these days.

do what I did, get a burnt out similar mobo with the same EEPROM, and just switch them WHILE STILL IN WINDOWS and then run your latest bios update, then reboot, worse thing is it wont reboot and you can just put back the old one.

The chip itself may be broken. That can happen with old EEPROM chips, though it's kind of rare.

I'd suggest ordering a replacement BIOS chip from somewhere like Mouser or Digikey. Make sure it's the same number and package (probably a PLCC). Find someone with an EEPROM programmer. These can be kind of expensive, so you probably don't want to buy one. Get an image for a new BIOS, program it and replace the chip. Erm.. that might be overboard, it would be easier to get a new motherboard :P

If you try to flash a broken BIOS chip, you could end up with a non-functioning machine. If it's not critical, you can try it but it may get zorked.

On the other hand, I don't think this has anything to do with your LAN problem. Unless of course the BIOS has the LAN disabled and you can't enable it again. If this is the only real problem, getting a PCI NIC would be a cheaper solution. Those things are dirt cheap these days.

yes, getting a pci nic is very cheap it comes around 250rs (5$) .. i will do that ;), thanks for the suggestions