Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dominatus

Need help with Wardriving Laptop

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. Haven't been on here in a while. Anyway, it's been four years since I've gotten a computer and I figured it's time to upgrade. I'm pretty dead set on getting a Lenovo Thinkpad T-series computer (probably T400). I like the fact that it has a PCMCIA card slot along with an ExpressCard slot. I figure having two or three interfaces, you could do some pretty wicked things. Also, there is an integrated Bluetooth card that I'd imagine could snarf Bluetooth connections, correct? I figure, since I've saved up quite a bit of money by not buying much of anything the past few years, money isn't an option, so I was going to deck out the laptop with the best features possible.

Also, I was planning on relying on a PCMCIA wireless card, such as an Orinoco card so that I can attach an antenna to it. From what I've read it seems that the ExpressCard WNICs haven't quite the power/compatibility as the PCMCIA variants.

Also, I was planning on getting a GPS device to track where I'm at. Which device(s) would y'all recommend?

Btw, I plan on doing everything on a source-based Linux distro. So I'll need usage of kismet, airecrack/play, and any other useful tools, with the easiest compatibility for both the wireless and GPS devices.

Thanks for the help guys! Please feel free to recommend any devices/other setups which you think may be more preferential.

what i would say is that every modern lap is capable of running distros in good fashion.

HCL leaptops are a good choice as they come with 8 gb of ram inbuilt....

i am from India so the price comparision will not be the criteria....

also go for a external GPS device that can be plugged to the computer (u will find that easy and cheap too)

i would better say that get a simple laptop and get a best handset that has all the GPS features... ;)

For war-driving you will probably want to consider portability and weight as well as battery life, and the availability/price of new batteries. A 14" notebook for war-driving is a little too big for my taste.

As far as cards/adapters you may want to try one with a powerful chipset.. My favorites are Ubiquiti SRC cardbus 300mw, SRX Express card 300mw Also, I like the generic Palm (not palm-pilot) USB adapter with the Realtek 500mw chipset. It is as good as the Alpha 500mw, but about $25.00 cheaper.. All the cards and adapters I spoke of will reinject as well... IF your using the old Orinoco a new adapter/card would be a good idea..

Ubiquiti now has a new line called something like the SR71 which is basically the SRC or SRX that supports the 5Ghz (802.11n)spectrum as well.. Not sure how good they are though...

You might also want to check out the Sony VGN-SZ750, as it is 13" and has both card slots too..

Thinkpad T500 would be a good choice. Also try this for a external Wifi Adapter.

Other than that, I think wardriving is a waste of time. It's like driving around looking for a restaurant with no driving directions..only you don't even know the name of the restaurant.

Choose ONE good target and focus your attention/effort on that instead of wasting gas. (Unless of course you are driving around as apart of one of those "Access point mapping" projects)

Also try this for a external Wifi Adapter.

Just make sure it doesn't have the RTL8187B, RTL8187L chipset is the good one.

Thinkpad T500 would be a good choice. Also try this for a external Wifi Adapter.

Other than that, I think wardriving is a waste of time. It's like driving around looking for a restaurant with no driving directions..only you don't even know the name of the restaurant.

Choose ONE good target and focus your attention/effort on that instead of wasting gas. (Unless of course you are driving around as apart of one of those "Access point mapping" projects)

Is that devices supported by kismet, aircrack/play, etc? Also, hopefully the linux kernel supports it?

For war-driving you will probably want to consider portability and weight as well as battery life, and the availability/price of new batteries. A 14" notebook for war-driving is a little too big for my taste.

As far as cards/adapters you may want to try one with a powerful chipset.. My favorites are Ubiquiti SRC cardbus 300mw, SRX Express card 300mw Also, I like the generic Palm (not palm-pilot) USB adapter with the Realtek 500mw chipset. It is as good as the Alpha 500mw, but about $25.00 cheaper.. All the cards and adapters I spoke of will reinject as well... IF your using the old Orinoco a new adapter/card would be a good idea..

Ubiquiti now has a new line called something like the SR71 which is basically the SRC or SRX that supports the 5Ghz (802.11n)spectrum as well.. Not sure how good they are though...

You might also want to check out the Sony VGN-SZ750, as it is 13" and has both card slots too..

On second thought I have been strongly considering going with an IBM T61, as they are as cheap as $400-500 (about $1500 savings) and you can put about $500 more into it to get way better hard drives and memory.

The Ubiquiti definitely seems to be where it's at and I'll go with that. However, if you had to choose one, would you get the SRX or SRC?

Thanks everyone for helping so far. If anyone else had any different opinions that'd be great too.

Also, what's a well supported GPS device, and are they all USB?

Edited by dominatus

On second thought I have been strongly considering going with an IBM T61, as they are as cheap as $400-500 (about $1500 savings) and you can put about $500 more into it to get way better hard drives and memory.

The Ubiquiti definitely seems to be where it's at and I'll go with that. However, if you had to choose one, would you get the SRX or SRC?

Thanks everyone for helping so far. If anyone else had any different opinions that'd be great too.

I'm using a Freedom Keychain GPS with my Acer Aspire One. It's tiny, uses bluetooth and works amazingly well. It seems to lock on quickly and position doesn't matter. I have only used it with Windoze programs. I don't know if it will work withe Kismet or other Linux programs.

I'd go with the SRC, as it is more compatible with things like Wildpackets software and much more.

Is that devices supported by kismet, aircrack/play, etc? Also, hopefully the linux kernel supports it?

If it has he RTL8187B chipset it will work with Linux and should go into monitor mode, but is slow and flaky to reinject packets because the drivers and patches are designed for the RTL8187L. However, if you want to reinject with aireplay, as stated before look for one with the RTL8187L chipset.

If you want to use aireplay with a standard kernel driver you'll need an RT73 chipset, with a late 2.6.27 kernel and newer drivers. Any other driver has to be patched or the kernel would need to be patched.

Both the Alfa AWUS036H and SRC are considered "best in class", according the Aircrack documentation: Official Arcrack-ng is my card compatible page.., Aircrack-ng Driver compatability list.

The one R3c0n mentioned should be good depending on the chipset.. It is basically a knock-off of the Alfa AWUS03H

Edited by tekio