thepcdude

Fckin Awesome Fone'

18 posts in this topic

What do the mean only the German version does this? GSM?

Same, that was my first cell phone ever.

Hah, it was my first phone as well.

kind of...

My mum has that phone :/

ummm.... does anyone have any corroborating technical evidence for this?

that phone is kinda funny...

i am not well aware of the capabilities but i am sure that there are some major modifications in that phone to get it to intercept sms...

people out there are freaking good man !! :D

Moving this to the phreaking forum

I gotta get that phone....

get me that firmware and I will get you that phone

Wow. Thats really neat. I love the fact that its gangs actually using this. We're reaching a new technological age, and its awesome.

Also this goes to show that too much creature comforts once again leads to easy pwnage. Take the extra five minutes and do it a secure way. Use a cellphone for a little more comfort or use paper for the needed security? C'mon!

Nothing outside sim cloning and social engineering can get ya.

Even easier if you have operator side access.

If anything it's some ploy to sell out the phones from old stock.

Agreed. Until there is technical proof that there is a valid hack, this goes in the make believe bin.

Each SIM card is in essence also a cryptographic chip. Whenever you sign on through a GSM network, the base station will send you a random value, which your SIM card will compute alongside a key. Your phone will then send the computed value in response, which the carrier will compare against its own internally computer value. The idea being that the key is never transmitted, so only your phone and the carrier would be able to compute matching values.

That's how the authentication is taken care of, and as long as the challenge-response algorithm remains impregnable, cloning of this nature is prevented. There's no authentication of the base station, only of your phone - so equipment exists to pretend to be a base station, enabling man-in-the-middle attacks. But I don't see how it would be possible to have a phone just be able to clone another device without the proper secret key.

Agreed. Until there is technical proof that there is a valid hack, this goes in the make believe bin.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/arti...nking_hack.html

Ultrascan was able to successfully reprogram an 1100 and intercept an mTAN, but just one time. Becker said they are undertaking further tests to see if the attack can be executed repeatedly.

"We've done it once," Becker said. "It looks like we know how to do it."

but the most important is this part

For the final step, the hacker must also clone a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, which Becker said is technically trivial.

if you can clone SIM card (which AFAIK COMP128 v2 is not so possible), why would you need Nokia phone ?

For the final step, the hacker must also clone a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, which Becker said is technically trivial.

if you can clone SIM card (which AFAIK COMP128 v2 is not so possible), why would you need Nokia phone ?

It's very simple, actually. You need the Nokia cell phone so that you can make bank from selling a crate of used phones on Ebay. :P

I heard about this months ago. I thinks its a scam too...