Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sshblack

SSH for noobs

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys

I am looking for a tutorial that covers not only the basics of SSH, but also has some kind of Unix shell command directory training too? I have tried googling for both but seem to get one or the other and it's really not helping me. Am I going about this the wrong way, should I be reading one then the other?

Any suggested reading would be greatly appreciated.

SshBlack

You can't find a SSH in tutorial ON GOOGLE ?? Your joking right?

Did you even read my question?

I didn't ask for a simple SSH tutorial. I wanted one that ALSO incorporated basic shell commands such as "cd" or "ls".

I thought you would have got that from:

"a tutorial that covers not only the basics of SSH, but also has some kind of Unix shell command directory training too"

You couldn't understand that? You're joking right?

Here, here, here and here. My point is, no one here can give a COMPLETE tutorial on ssh using basic commands as you mentioned....you just aren't looking hard enough or too impatient to read the FANTASTIC results google produces. Edited by R3c0n

To try to answer what I think you're asking... you're not likely to find something that will do both SSH and shell commands, since they're not exactly directly related to each other. It sounds like you're looking for a guide to the *nix command line -- in that case, you can do some searching for "bash shell" or "unix shell" to get you going in the right direction. That's what you're using when you type commands and read the screen.

SSH is more or less a vehicle that establishes an encrypted link between two nodes. In the context you are envisioning, you use SSH to connect to a remote system, and then on that system you run a shell program that lets you type commands. For this kind of use, SSH is pretty straightforward (get yourself a nice client, like PuTTY). There is more to it than that, but it sounds like you're more interested in the command line at this time. So start with "shell scripting" and go from there.

(By way of example, you can think of it like navigating a website over an https connection -- the SSL/TLS connection that your browser sets up doesn't have anything to do directly with the content of the website or how you interact with it. It's just the transmission channel.)

Basic Commands:

cd - change directory

cp - copy file(s)

ls - list file(s) in a directory

mv - rename/move file(s)

mkdir - create a directory

rm - delete file(s)

rmdir - delete directory

More Commands:

ps - list active processes

sudo - use admin privileges for the command that ensues (ie "sudo mkdir kittyp0rn")

Type in man followed by any of these commands for more information. nano is a good text-editor for beginners.

Your home directory, which is equivalent to "My Documents" in Windows, is located at:

/home/<username>/

...or a shortcut:

~/

Edited by Seal