Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DotKite

IRC blocked at school

7 posts in this topic

Hey all, was wondering if there is a way I could IRC using my school network. It seems port 6667 and 7000 are closed. When i try to ssh i get "connection refused". thanks

The best way is to use what is allowed. I suggest you find a website that hosts cgi-irc:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=in...earch&meta=

Unless they block websites, you should be able to get on IRC! :P

Either install it on your personal website or try finding one which isn't locked to a specific irc server.

If it's really an issue of certain ports being blocked, you could set up your own proxy or use an existing proxy server.

Though, for your needs, using mibbit (mibbit.com) would be a more elegant solution.

On my school's wireless network, port 22 outbound to the internet is blocked, so I have my SSH server listening on both ports 22 and 443. Port 443 is HTTPS, and you will find that it will rarely, if ever, be blocked if the network is intended for web browsing. Try running your SSH service on a nonstandard open port and using it to proxy the IRC connection.

Hey all, was wondering if there is a way I could IRC using my school network. It seems port 6667 and 7000 are closed. When i try to ssh i get "connection refused". thanks

You could get a free shell account - google - and ssh to it and use a cli client such as irssi.

Optionally, you could ssh to your box and use irssi from that.

Note that irc is not only limited to using ports 6667 and 7000.

Edited by SwartMumba