Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jelliott7593

FreeNAS Question.

3 posts in this topic

This quite a noob question but here goes nothing. I have a spare box laying around that I want to use for a network attached storage and I decided on FreeNAS. Now I want to install FreeNAS on this computer. I went to the download page on the FreeNAS website and I was looking for an .iso file to burn to a cd for installation. But all I came across was .img files and the live-cd are the only .iso's on the page. Where can I get an .iso file, or how would I burn an .img to make an install cd. Thanks very much.

You want the Live-CD version. If I recall correctly, it can be configured either to run from the CD, or to install locally to one of the drives. If you have the ability, you're a bit better off dedicating an entire drive to the installation; I have it configured to split one drive between the OS and storage space, and it gets a bit goofy. (And if you ever need to re-do the install, you lose the data partition.)

mirrorshades is correct. I was confused at first also but decided to download the Live-Cd anyway to to play around and saw that it would install also. Good luckon configuring your system.