Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anonymous2012

Antivirus software.

31 posts in this topic

Hello.

Could someone please tell me which FREE antivirus software is the best to use (For Windows Vista).

I have looked at Avast and AVG and they seem OK, but could someone please give me their opinion on the best free antivirus/firewall/spyware removal software etc... OR could someone please give me a list of any free programs they can think of so I can determine which one I like best.

Thankyou :)

P.S. Is there any disadvantages to using more than 1 antivirus program on a computer. Would running scans with 3 different programs be a better thing or not?

Finally, if there are any good programs far better than the free ones could someone please post them aswell, I would rather pay for an excellent program than just use bad free ones.

Edited by Anonymous2012

I use avast on my wifes comp. It has blocked everything that I have thrown at it. I recommend it to all my friends and family that ask. We use AVG at work and it slows the comp down when it scans. Avast seems to not slow the comp down as much. Just my $.02 US.

And do not run more than 1 at a time.

Edited by hrddrv

I have looked at Avast! and it seems fine, but I think I will continue to look in case I find something else.

By the way, how much protection do I really need? I have downloaded a Norton Security Scan program as well as a Version of Spyware Doctor(W/O Antivirus or Browser Guard, Cookie Guard etc.) This seems like not much to me, but is it good enough?

I rarely download programs off the internet, the computer I plan to use this on will be mainly for simple work, Word Processing and Mail mainly. If I remember to keep it Up-To-Date with the newest updates and keep Windows Firewall and Windows Defender enabled at all times, can this be enough?

(If not, I have downloaded a free program called ThreatFire which seems good aswell)

Edited by Anonymous2012

AVG has done a great job for me over the last three years. I have recommended it to many other people and heard no complaints. I think any anti-virus program will slow down the computer a bit when scanning. That's why I schedule my scans for 2:00 local time. Also be sure that you only run one anti-virus program at a time.

ClamAV is a good one.

Bitdefender has a decent free version. AFAIK it uses the definitions as the paid version, just lacks many features..

I Downloaded BitDefender a few months a go to try it out, my computer didn't get along with it :(.

For some reason as soon as I ran it, my computer started to slow down, A LOT. I couldnt do anything, and so I had to restart. After trying it again it did exactly the same, and after about 10 minutes of waiting, I decided to restart, boot in safe mode and uninstall it.

If it is a bad idea to run 2 Antivirus programs, is it a bad idea to run 2 Firewalls?

If I have Windows Firewall enabled AS WELL AS a version of PCTools Firewall, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

P.S. If it IS a bad idea to run 2 Firewalls at the same time... Which one of these is better: "PCTools Firewall Plus" or "Windows Firewall in Vista"?

Edited by Anonymous2012

Yea, running two firewalls is as bad as two AV's. Why? The Vista Firewall is actually decent IMO... I've always liked Kerio though... Not a big footprint on the system. free version is fine, and does everything a firewall should... Come to think of it I quit using Vista Firewall after installing applications that have a little option to check for them to automatically make a rule in Vista Firewall. What stops malware from doing the same? They just have to edit a regkey to bypass Vista Firewall... So, on second thought, use PC Tools Firewall....

EDIT: I've actually used PC Tools Firewall and liked it.... Just switched back to Kerio after a system reinstall because I'd been using it for years...

Edited by tekio

The best antivirus available:

linux.jpg

linux.jpg

Windows chicks probably have herpes...

Sexy-Windows-Vista.jpg

Edited by tekio

linux.jpg

+1

---

AVG used to always slow my box down when it was scanning or not. After years of being Windows free I recently am back using XP on a box. The newest version of AVG seems to run much much lighter than previous versions. I personally suggest AVG Free.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Avira, considering it's the best free one by a long shot.

I like Comodo Internet Security for Anti-Virus + Firewall.

And Linux is not an anti-virus solution: it can be compromised just like any other operating system.

Just download and install SOME kind of AV software. AVG and Avast are two proven products; why do you feel the need to look elsewhere? I've used both for years on all my PCs and would recommend either one. (And you really only need one; the one exception might be using one for memory-resident scanning and real-time file scans, and using another for scheduled full-system scans.) No AV program has a 100% detection/removal rate, but AVG and Avast (and several others, I'm sure) are just as good if not better than a number of paid-for programs.

Use the Windows Firewall, but actually take some time to dig into it and make sure it's set up the way you want it to be. (You really only need one firewall application as well. If you misconfigure one, chances are you'll just misconfigure the other one too.)

Set Windows Update to run automatically, and don't keep clicking "Cancel" when it's trying to do its thing.

Run Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool every month.

Install and run (and update) Windows Defender for anti-spyware. Works great.

Be smart about what you download and install.

You'll be fine. Don't worry about what the "best" is. Even if someone could tell you what the "best" anything is, it can change tomorrow.

I used Smoothwall for a while to secure my entire home network. The Smoothwall box can be built from a surplus computer with two nic cards. One nic provides the entry point to your cable/dsl modem and the second nic connects to your local area network. The Smoothwall provides firewall functions for all hosts on the lan. In additions is supports intrusion detection systems and intrusion prevention systems. It also provides vpn and ssh access. It is a very nice security setup. Of course you still need to run windoes firewall on the individual PCs for an additional layer of security. Intrusion events are logged, so you can see where the threats are coming from. The Smoothwall gives a nice second layer of defense to a home or business network.

http://www.smoothwall.org/

Is the link if your are interested. In this case it is OK to run two firewalls.

I'm still finding it hard to believe that no one uses Avira. Seriously? Avast? That shit looks like a really stupid winamp skin. Plus its slow as fuck and it has that stupid little animated thing to tell you its active. And AVG? Yeah, maybe 5 years ago. I dont have much experience with the others mentioned, other than hearing good things about Comodo... but come on, Avira makes AVG and Avast look like two little sissy girls having a tea party.

I have alwayd found AVG to be sound and secure, if not a little slow during scanning times. (I always let mine run late at night.)

For spyware I thoroughly recommend Spybot Search and Destroy. Both of them should keep you covered.

linux.jpg

All I can say to that is ...

Why is it that people think they are immune to viruses when they run Linux Operating systems?

Quoted right from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_computer_viruses

One of the vulnerabilities of Linux is that many users think it is not vulnerable to viruses. Tom Ferris, a researcher with Mission Viejo, California-based Security Protocols, said in 2006, "In people's minds, if it's non-Windows, it's secure, and that's not the case. They think nobody writes malware for Linux or Mac OS X. But that's not necessarily true ..."
Trojans

* Kaiten - Linux.Backdoor.Kaiten trojan horse[12]

* Rexob - Linux.Backdoor.Rexob trojan[13]

Viruses

* Alaeda - Virus.Linux.Alaeda[14]

* Bad Bunny - Perl.Badbunny[4][15]

* Binom - Linux/Binom[16]

* Bliss

* Brundle[17]

* Bukowski[18]

* Diesel - Virus.Linux.Diesel.962[19]

* Kagob a - Virus.Linux.Kagob.a[20]

* Kagob b - Virus.Linux.Kagob.b[21]

* MetaPHOR (also known as Simile)[22]

* Nuxbee - Virus.Linux.Nuxbee.1403[23]

* OSF.8759

* Podloso - Linux.Podloso (The iPod virus)[24][25]

* Rike - Virus.Linux.Rike.1627[26]

* RST - Virus.Linux.RST.a[27]

* Satyr - Virus.Linux.Satyr.a[28]

* Staog

* Vit - Virus.Linux.Vit.4096[29]

* Winter - Virus.Linux.Winter.341[30]

* Winux (also known as Lindose and PEElf)[31]

* Wit virus[32]

* ZipWorm - Virus.Linux.ZipWorm[33]

Worms

* Adm - Net-Worm.Linux.Adm[34]

* Adore[35]

* Cheese - Net-Worm.Linux.Cheese[36]

* Devnull

* Kork[37]

* Linux/Lion

* Mighty - Net-Worm.Linux.Mighty[38]

* Millen - Linux.Millen.Worm[39]

* Ramen worm

* Slapper[40]

* SSH Bruteforce[41]

As you can clearly see people who think Linux is invulnerable are wrong :)

Why is it that people think they are immune to viruses when they run Linux Operating systems?

Nice try. Of course there are viruses for Linux, but let me quote that Wikipedia article:

There has not yet been a single widespread Linux malware threat of the type that Microsoft Windows software currently faces; this is commonly attributed to the malware's lack of root access and fast updates to most Linux vulnerabilities.
Like other Unix systems, Linux implements a multi-user environment where users are granted specific privileges and there is some form of access control implemented. To gain control over a Linux system or cause any serious consequence to the system itself, the malware would have to gain root access to the system.

Privileges motherfucker.

Keeping your shit up to date + not running random executables as root -> no malware problems

It's worked for me for years. Enjoy your virus scans.

Every O/S has bugs that can be used to subvert security... I guess some just more than others.

Nice try. Of course there are viruses for Linux, but let me quote that Wikipedia article:

There has not yet been a single widespread Linux malware threat of the type that Microsoft Windows software currently faces; this is commonly attributed to the malware's lack of root access and fast updates to most Linux vulnerabilities.
Like other Unix systems, Linux implements a multi-user environment where users are granted specific privileges and there is some form of access control implemented. To gain control over a Linux system or cause any serious consequence to the system itself, the malware would have to gain root access to the system.

Privileges motherfucker.

Keeping your shit up to date + not running random executables as root -> no malware problems

It's worked for me for years. Enjoy your virus scans.

The privilege question has been addressed in Windows Vista. To that extent, Windows and Linux are pretty much equal now. As for the rest, that has nothing to do with the OS. That has everything to do with the user: the moms and pops that see their computers the same way that they see their toaster, and that *will* download junk and crap malware. It doesn't matter what the underlying OS is, their ignorance will allow it to be easily rooted. All you need is the market share in order for malware developers to start chugging out crap for Linux.

And remember that when it comes to Linux, worms aren't currently the preferred point of compromise. More popular are SSH bruteforcing and going at it through services like open web servers. In fact, that's a big problem: with the multitude of poorly written web apps out there, a vulnerable package can open countless of web servers for compromise. You can code worms entirely in PHP, or use PHP to compile a binary of the worm on the system itself.

Just look at all the servers that were defaced:

http://www.zone-h.org/archive/special=1

See how there's Linux in there too? So if that's public defacing, imagine what goes on privately. And with a language as powerful as PHP, you can have those servers do anything.

Edited by Seal

linux.jpg

All I can say to that is ...

Quoted right from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_computer_viruses

One of the vulnerabilities of Linux is that many users think it is not vulnerable to viruses. Tom Ferris, a researcher with Mission Viejo, California-based Security Protocols, said in 2006, "In people's minds, if it's non-Windows, it's secure, and that's not the case. They think nobody writes malware for Linux or Mac OS X. But that's not necessarily true ..."
Trojans

* Kaiten - Linux.Backdoor.Kaiten trojan horse[12]

* Rexob - Linux.Backdoor.Rexob trojan[13]

Viruses

* Alaeda - Virus.Linux.Alaeda[14]

* Bad Bunny - Perl.Badbunny[4][15]

* Binom - Linux/Binom[16]

* Bliss

* Brundle[17]

* Bukowski[18]

* Diesel - Virus.Linux.Diesel.962[19]

* Kagob a - Virus.Linux.Kagob.a[20]

* Kagob b - Virus.Linux.Kagob.b[21]

* MetaPHOR (also known as Simile)[22]

* Nuxbee - Virus.Linux.Nuxbee.1403[23]

* OSF.8759

* Podloso - Linux.Podloso (The iPod virus)[24][25]

* Rike - Virus.Linux.Rike.1627[26]

* RST - Virus.Linux.RST.a[27]

* Satyr - Virus.Linux.Satyr.a[28]

* Staog

* Vit - Virus.Linux.Vit.4096[29]

* Winter - Virus.Linux.Winter.341[30]

* Winux (also known as Lindose and PEElf)[31]

* Wit virus[32]

* ZipWorm - Virus.Linux.ZipWorm[33]

Worms

* Adm - Net-Worm.Linux.Adm[34]

* Adore[35]

* Cheese - Net-Worm.Linux.Cheese[36]

* Devnull

* Kork[37]

* Linux/Lion

* Mighty - Net-Worm.Linux.Mighty[38]

* Millen - Linux.Millen.Worm[39]

* Ramen worm

* Slapper[40]

* SSH Bruteforce[41]

Ubuntu comes with Clamav built into it, I'm pretty sure it's had the Clamav build since Ubuntu 7.XX

EDIT: I was wrong, I think, possibly, my ubuntu build came with clamav, I got it when I updated my packages after installation.

Edited by R4p1d

kapersky. not linux as ssh (secure) doesnt automatically have a timeout? why? its more secure then telnet yet it can be bruteforced just the same. some linux boxes automatically offer services at installation, which is stupid as hell. your fine aslong as you dont offer anything, if you offer telnet/ssh/ftp/shares your just a sitting duck all you can do is delay people from getting into your machine. you dont offer anything and update regularly you fine as long as you dont download garbage. and i wouldn't go to say linux is stable at all i've had to reinstall dsl like 5times because its so stable that if it isnt unmounted cleanly it cant mount at all so have to boot from cd. some distro's are probably safe/secure stable but i have not seen one work. if your just going to use a different operating system use unix, your less likely to get in arguments with idiots about which distro is better when they are the exact same os just a different filesystem/package manager.

not linux as ssh (secure) doesnt automatically have a timeout? why? its more secure then telnet yet it can be bruteforced just the same

Are you saying that ssh isn't secure because it doesn't rate limit failed logins? It's not clear what you're saying here. It's definitely possible to have a failed authentication delay in ssh. Anyway, if your password is relatively strong then the network latencies should be enough to make any remote brute force attack infeasible even without failure delays.

i wouldn't go to say linux is stable at all i've had to reinstall dsl like 5times because its so stable that if it isnt unmounted cleanly it cant mount at all so have to boot from cd.

Huh? If the filesystem isn't cleanly unmounted you just have to run a fsck on it and everything is good to go. This ensures that your filesystem is in a consistent state before you start writing to it. This is a Good Thing. If your boot filesystem isn't cleanly unmounted, the kernel will boot with the filesystem in read-only mode and then the init scripts should fsck it and remount.

if your just going to use a different operating system use unix

What do you consider to be "unix"?