Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Newbieeeee

Help I downloaded a Trojan!!

13 posts in this topic

:unsure: I downloaded a Trojan and on accident clicked the exe file... Can anyone help?

Info about it is, at first there was just a pop up about an internet add then i exited out of it then another and so on, so i ran a virus scan and nothing came up. Then it locked my task bar and essentially my computer. I restarted and now all I have is my desktop background with no icons and no task bar not anything but the picture. All i can do is bring up the Task manager... (Im on a different computer at the moment)

Edited by Newbieeeee

Once you're infected there is no way to be absolutely 100% sure that you got rid of a piece of malware. Best suggestion would be to use a linux live CD to back up all important data to an external hard drive and reinstall your operating system.

Edited by n3xg3n

I'd change all my passwords too.

especially passwords to ur financial stuffs... if you did that sort of thing with this machine

Also make sure you run Anti-Virus (i.e.AVG). There is no fool proof way of catching 100% of all viruses, worms, and trojans but 9/10 it will.

Also make sure you run Anti-Virus (i.e.AVG). There is no fool proof way of catching 100% of all viruses, worms, and trojans but 9/10 it will.

I would but theres no icons or anything...

I would but theres no icons or anything...

Ctrl-Alt-Del then click "new task" and type "explorer" without quotations, and then click ok!

:) should open it up for you and be able to install AVG

Like N3xg3n said, your best bet would be to back up everything to an external place, then reformat your hard drive and reinstall everything.

Using a Linux LiveCD to transfer files off the machine is also an excellent idea because the trojan won't be able to mess with you while you're running Linux.

Go here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Download the ISO image, burn it onto a CD, then reboot from your CD drive.

Ubuntu will launch from the CD without changing anything on your existing hard drive. You can use the Nautilus File Browser to move your files over to an external drive, or you can use K3B to burn them to CD or DVD. If you have Internet connectivity, you can upload them to a network drive or Web-based file storage service.

Don't forget to back up your emails, if you have them stored on the computer.

Once you've backed everything up, then you can reformat your machine's internal hard drive and reinstall Windows.

Consider this a lesson, and an opportunity to start anew. A fresh start is a wonderful thing.

Edited by Colonel Panic

Once you've backed everything up, then you can reformat your machine's internal hard drive and reinstall Windows.

<obligatory linux fanboy post>

Or give Ubuntu a go. If you're reinstalling anyway may as well play with it for a few days

</obligatory linux fanboy post>

http://www.dban.org/

Darik's Boot & Nuke..

After you save you files, and before you reinstall your OS.

I don't trust Windows formatting tools & nothing has topped this yet as the BEST hard drive wiping tool out there.

Why did you download a trojan?

If you're archiving virus's/malware, never allow the program to be executable.

Rename the program from .exe to .txt or something.

Darik's Boot & Nuke..

Totally forgot about DBaN. Good call.

If you are able to get into Task Manager, go to file "Run" issue the command "explorer". With any luck you should get your toolbar and access into your system. You may have to execute the command 2-3 times till it executes. From there you can hopefully see how messed up your system is and if you can salvage it or not.

I would suggest downloading several current antivirus programs with (current updates), along with a good adware remover (also with current updates). As a last resort you may consider backing up the files and restoring the OS as suggested.