Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
howyadoin

TOR on USB - runs with Firefox

7 posts in this topic

I used the search box to see if someone has already posted this but it turned up zero results, so I'll post it :

http://www.torproject.org/easy-download.html.en

This link if for the TOR download (it's free of course). The most recent one is the one that says "Great for USB drives! Pre-configured with Forefox". I'm using this one and it's cool to be able to run it off a flash drive :)

It's for anonymous surfing for noobs out there.

I used the search box to see if someone has already posted this but it turned up zero results, so I'll post it :

http://www.torproject.org/easy-download.html.en

This link if for the TOR download (it's free of course). The most recent one is the one that says "Great for USB drives! Pre-configured with Forefox". I'm using this one and it's cool to be able to run it off a flash drive :)

It's for anonymous surfing for noobs out there.

Tor is ok, I've used it for some applications, but it can ever make you completely anonymous.

Being completely anonymous is nearly impossible.

Tor is ok, I've used it for some applications, but it can ever make you completely anonymous.

In all practicality, and ignoring any application-level information leaks, it's nearly impossible to track anyone through Tor. Even if you somehow manage to run a majority of the nodes yourself and try to put all the traffic back together, it's still going to be pretty difficult. Tor is a good tool for anonymity, use it.

In all practicality, and ignoring any application-level information leaks, it's nearly impossible to track anyone through Tor. Even if you somehow manage to run a majority of the nodes yourself and try to put all the traffic back together, it's still going to be pretty difficult. Tor is a good tool for anonymity, use it.

Unless someone has compromised the exit node correct?

Anyway, in my experience, TOR is slow as shit. I would rather use a paid VPN of somesort.

Unless someone has compromised the exit node correct?

Anyway, in my experience, TOR is slow as shit. I would rather use a paid VPN of somesort.

If someone has either compromised an exit node, or is simply running a Tor node (which anyone can do) that will act as an exit node, any cleartext traffic will be exposed. However, the exit node still has no idea who initiated the connection, so you're still anonymous even if the content has been exposed.

With Tor, no node knows both the original and destination of any communication. The entry node knows your IP address, but if you run an entry node on your localhost there is an extra layer of security there. Middle nodes only know the previous and next node, and don't know either the source or destination. Exit nodes only know the destination. Only the exit node has access to the plaintext traffic, but as I said before, it doesn't know who sent it.

Yeah Tor is pretty solid. There are still a few minor flaws such as DNS leaking (through no fault of Tor), IP leaking (via an embedded applet. Again, Tor isn't at fault for this), and as mentioned the exit node sniffing. A lot can be discovered about a person by, for example, sniffing the credentials to their email account.