Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

Router sharing IEEE 802.1X authenticated connection

5 posts in this topic

Okay, here's my problem:

My university's wireless service is crappy to the point that it is totally unusable 50% of the time. I could get around that by connecting to the network with an authenticated wired connection which is provided by the university. The problem is that the wall jacks that provide this service are all in restricted access zones. I found a quiet lab with very few classes which had a jack, but it is going to be closed for the summer as there will be no course given there. In other words, I have to find another place. The other wall jacks are located in un-fun places such as noisy computer labs with already tons of computers and very few space for people that want to connect using the wire. A nice place to be with your laptop are public areas with tables and couches. However, I found that one of the student organizations which I know the president has three wall jacks available in its room. The room is right besides couches and tables, so it'd be a nice place to be with your laptop. But then, I need a way to share the connection from that wall jack without being connected directly with the wire, staying in that room (it doesn't have that much space available). What I want to use is configure my WRT54G Linksys router so that I could connect it to the wall jack in that room, and then access it with the wireless connection from my own router. That would require that the router authenticates using my username and password from the school, and then share that connection for the people connected to my router. I have no idea how to do that, however. I currently have OpenWRT installed on my router, but I can install anything that would do it. Any ideas? Thanks

this appears to answer your question....

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=768

summary: install xsupplicant-package

I don't know if it is possible to proxy the authentication for individual users on the WLAN. You should consider the possibility of the router (with your credentials configured in it) going 'walking'.

Mungewell.

this appears to answer your question....

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=768

summary: install xsupplicant-package

I don't know if it is possible to proxy the authentication for individual users on the WLAN. You should consider the possibility of the router (with your credentials configured in it) going 'walking'.

Mungewell.

Awesome, that guy did exactly the same as what I want to do! I don't have the router with me at the moment, but I'll definitely try it.