Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dinscurge

Intel processors

10 posts in this topic

does anyone know anything about intel processors? as far as i can see the atom is 2 p3's with double the ram and ripping of amd virtualization technology to double the bus speed.

this is a env_list of a atom

NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 28 Stepping 2, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=1c02

this is the env_list of my dual p3 xeon server

NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0703

i'm guessing its dual p3 mobiles or regular p3's not xeon as it has half the ram of a xeon

and how is the atom a single core? or is it just mine that has dual core's.

this is p3 mobile coppermine

NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=2

Edited by dinscurge

Intel Atom is a whole line of processors, not a single CPU. It can have either one or two cores depending on the model, so what you think is wrong. Second of all, processors don't have RAM. (I mean, they do have RAM, but it's called cache) RAM is another PC component.

i'm guessing its dual p3 mobiles or regular p3's not xeon as it has half the ram of a xeon

and how is the atom a single core?

Write that sentence again, this time with punctuation.

or is it just mine that has dual core's.

No.

Also, there are at least four types of Pentium III Xeons if I remember correctly, they differ in cache size and bus characteristics and you're not giving us nearly enough information to help you. That and your posts are barely intelligible.

Edited by WhatChout

neh i figured it out the atom-series is still i386 so its just slightly better specs, and i meant the cache size not the ram lols. as each of the atom/s i have is 800mhz, 133mhz bus and 512 cache; where the p3 xeon is, 133mhz buz, 550mhz up too 700mhz, with 2000 cache. according to wikipedia its basically the same processor just different cache/clock/socket.

Punctuation looks ok......capitalization please? Please? Pretty pretty please?

basically the same processor just different cache/clock/socket.

Yes, besides the socket, cache size, clock, power consumption, speedstep, sse3, NX pages, hyperthreading, entire microarchitecture, and so on, it is basically the same thing as a PIII.

You're probably seeing that 800 MHz speed because the CPU is throttled down. If you're seeing two CPUs and you have one of the single-core Atom processors, that's entirely normal -- it's HyperThreaded, so there are two /virtual/ cores.

The Atom isn't just a smaller-process P3. They /are/ both i686 compatible, and use the same bus clock, but they're different internally. Like most recent Intel processors, the Atom actually translates x86/i686 instructions into internal, Atom-specific instructions.

just wondering why does it show each of the 2 hyperthread cpu's as having 133mhz instead of 266? as the atom/the one i have is supposed to be 533mhz. im guessing because its like older amds and it just doubles the speed via ddr?

Edited by dinscurge

System buses don't work like that -- you can't just add the speeds because you have two devices. Also, where are you getting 133 MHz, and what bus do you think that's being applied to? The Atom series runs at no less than 400 MHz FSB, but of course the FSB is just one of /many/ bus systems present in a given system. The N270, for example, uses a FSB speed of 533 MHz, but a PCI device attached to the northbridge might run with a bus speed of only 33 MHz.

System buses don't work like that -- you can't just add the speeds because you have two devices. Also, where are you getting 133 MHz, and what bus do you think that's being applied to? The Atom series runs at no less than 400 MHz FSB, but of course the FSB is just one of /many/ bus systems present in a given system. The N270, for example, uses a FSB speed of 533 MHz, but a PCI device attached to the northbridge might run with a bus speed of only 33 MHz.

from the n270's virtual core each one is 800mhz, 133mhz bus/external clock

its basically the same processor just different cache/clock/socket.

0_o