Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
indexphinger

Interesting Find!

23 posts in this topic

:) I was surfing the net today, looking at a few random wifi cards then I noticed this...

WLI-U2-KG54L-up-lg.jpg

nintendo_wifi_usb.jpg

Both devices are essentially the same inside. the only diff is the label.

The Buffalo costs $45 here, and the nintendo goes for as low as $14.99 here :)

:roll: I was thinking the nintendo one would have been overpriced.

Are you sure they've got the exact same chipsets? Buffalo, from my experiences, uses quality chipsets in their WiFi cards...

EDIT: before thay were ordered by the US courts to suspend production of their 802.11 gear, Buffalo made some really nice stuff... I think they may have been able to start again too. Yep, they're making 802.11 gear again... I've got an Air station PCMCIA. If that one is a G Airstation it was the flagship line of Buffalo adapters at the time and uses one of the few broadcom cchipsets that will work good with Linux and reinject with patched drivers...

Edited by tekio

Are you sure they've got the exact same chipsets? Buffalo, from my experiences, uses quality chipsets in their WiFi cards...

EDIT: before thay were ordered by the US courts to suspend production of their 802.11 gear, Buffalo made some really nice stuff... I think they may have been able to start again too.

they both use identical rt2500 chipsets. the drivers are also interchangeable :)

EDIT: before thay were ordered by the US courts to suspend production of their 802.11 gear, Buffalo made some really nice stuff... I think they may have been able to start again too.

they both use identical rt2500 chipsets. the drivers are also interchangeable :)

OMG, powered by buffalo...

312Dfp5IbmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

at amazon it is almost $70 US though...

lols i just got a awesome 108mbps duplex wifi netgear rangemax wpn511 i guess it has 2 connections which makes it go father? anyways got it for like $9 of newegg recertified so basically its brand new and some noob rma'd it

I have really been looking at getting one of those USB wireless adapters, but I don't quite see the purpose seeing as my latpop has a wireless card. Am I missing the point of these things?

Buffalo makes some of the best wireless products, I'm glad they started manufacturing them again.

Buffalo makes some of the best wireless products, I'm glad they started manufacturing them again.

Agreed... It took me months to get my hands on a PCMCIA Airstation with the "good" broadcaom chipset.... Found a place that was selling 'em for $20.00 because they were a few years old. Suckers!

Too bad they still can't make the WAPS/Routres with built in amplifiers.. I'd love to get my hands on one of those... HHmm guess they started making those again too... Buffalo with 2.4ghz amp

Edited by tekio

I have really been looking at getting one of those USB wireless adapters, but I don't quite see the purpose seeing as my latpop has a wireless card. Am I missing the point of these things?

Making cantenna's or otherwise reaching distant wifi aps (With dish reflectors) so you dont have to move your laptop around trying to find a sweet spot.

as said above, theyre really good for reflectors, anybody think attatching one to a small sattelite dish would help?

as said above, theyre really good for reflectors, anybody think attatching one to a small sattelite dish would help?

You can pick up satellites at walmart (Like directTv style)

I saw them the other day, I wouldn't mind getting a new one, I had to let go of mine a while back.

I've been planning to try this,I've got several dish network,directtv dish setups in a shed along with my old direcPc dish setup.

Another project on the list.

A lot of times internal WiFi will have sub-par chipsets and no adapter for an external antenna.... Once you really get into WiFi security you'll find yourself needing different external cards as the different chipsets will do things better than others..

I don't quite see the purpose seeing as my latpop has a wireless card. Am I missing the point of these things?

Couldn't agree more....

I see that Chaostic mentioned a better signal reception, but is there anything else that would make me want to spend my hard -earned cash on one of these things or is this just something I can ignore?

Edited by sshblack

I don't quite see the purpose seeing as my latpop has a wireless card. Am I missing the point of these things?

Couldn't agree more....

I see that Chaostic mentioned a better signal reception, but is there anything else that would make me want to spend my hard -earned cash on one of these things or is this just something I can ignore?

Some chipsets are more powerful, but cannot reinject packets and vice versa... Some are supported with various wi-fi tools while others are not, etc...

A lot of times internal WiFi will have sub-par chipsets and no adapter for an external antenna.... Once you really get into WiFi security you'll find yourself needing different external cards as the different chipsets will do things better than others..

Like which? Got a link? I'm not to familiar with chip sets in general.

Also why did the feds stop Buffalo from manufacturing equipment? Seems the government is in everyone's business now a days.

Couldn't agree more....

Depends on what you need from your wifi. If you are in your house, twenty feet from your wifi ap, or in a starbucks/airport where you can move closer to the ap if needed, then no, you don't need it.

Now, if your wifi card craps out and a usb stick is cheaper than a mini-pci card, or the mini-pci slot fries and its cheaper then a mb repair, then yes. Or you spend your time war driving and need a card that can do passive promiscuous mode, or you leech of your neighbor's wifi and have to site in one tiny corner of the attic at a weird angle to get the signal (sometimes), then yes.

If you don't already think you need it, then you don't.

i has mine taped to the window so i can mooch off of a weak signal outside, but i wish i had an usb extension cable

i has mine taped to the window so i can mooch off of a weak signal outside, but i wish i had an usb extension cable

You're admitting to stealing wifi?

You're admitting to stealing wifi?

:) I didn't say what kind of signal it was :) theory of the doubt.

Couldn't agree more....

Depends on what you need from your wifi. If you are in your house, twenty feet from your wifi ap, or in a starbucks/airport where you can move closer to the ap if needed, then no, you don't need it.

Now, if your wifi card craps out and a usb stick is cheaper than a mini-pci card, or the mini-pci slot fries and its cheaper then a mb repair, then yes. Or you spend your time war driving and need a card that can do passive promiscuous mode, or you leech of your neighbor's wifi and have to site in one tiny corner of the attic at a weird angle to get the signal (sometimes), then yes.

If you don't already think you need it, then you don't.

Passive promiscuous mode, such this usb dongle could work with aircrack-ng or kismet huh? Definitely need to look into this now.

Passive promiscuous mode, such this usb dongle could work with aircrack-ng or kismet huh? Definitely need to look into this now.

It might. Don't know. Just mentioned that as a reason someone might want an extra usb wifi device, in general. If it did, and you can get it for 15, then kick ass.