decoder

(ARCHIVE) some numbers

1,263 posts in this topic

I found a very odd number.

Recording is attached. Its like a siren tone, here is a desciption of the sound:

the following is repeated 10 times: 620hz for 240ms, then 30ms silence, then 430hz at -2db in relation to previous tone for 240ms, then 30ms silence

after that there is a Click (and small LC ringdown) then 200ms silence and then another click (and small LC ringdown), then the whole thing repeats again

I sat on it a couple minutes listening, and it never did anything else. I'm not gonna give out the number until I know a little bit more about it, but I'll say that its in the 99xx zone on a verizon exchange marked UA.

Any ideas?

Edit: I figured out it must not be anything very sensitive because it doesn't respond to DTMF, so here is the number: 301-999-9999

Turns out that there are lots of numbers in the 999 exchange that respond this way, while some such as 9900 go to a normal NIS message. I know these are based out of the hagerstown maryland CO, and being in the same LATA but a different CO and attempting to dial one on a pots line causes a normal NIS message when attempting to call a number that is usually the odd siren tone.

So WTF is this?blink.gif

sirennumberLQ2.wav

Edited by Skunkworks

the following is repeated 10 times: 620hz for 240ms, then 30ms silence, then 430hz at -2db in relation to previous tone for 240ms, then 30ms silence

after that there is a Click (and small LC ringdown) then 200ms silence and then another click (and small LC ringdown), then the whole thing repeats again

Edit: I figured out it must not be anything very sensitive because it doesn't respond to DTMF, so here is the number: 301-999-9999

Turns out that there are lots of numbers in the 999 exchange that respond this way, while some such as 9900 go to a normal NIS message. I know these are based out of the hagerstown maryland CO, and being in the same LATA but a different CO and attempting to dial one on a pots line causes a normal NIS message when attempting to call a number that is usually the odd siren tone.

From what I can recall, this sounds like a "reorder" tone from a PBX (don't know what make or model). It's been a number of years since I've heard this myself. I wonder if the click is the system trying to reset the trunk but fails? But it is odd being on a regular Verizon POTS NXX code.

Hmm.. looked up the CLLI code for 301-999 (HGTWMDCACM8). Strange CLLI. Documentation I have says it's a generic "digital switch". But that sort of CLLI code ending reminds me of a cellular MTSO (mobile telephone switching office). Very odd. But thanks for the find. :)

301-999-9999

From what I can recall, this sounds like a "reorder" tone from a PBX (don't know what make or model). It's been a number of years since I've heard this myself. I wonder if the click is the system trying to reset the trunk but fails? But it is odd being on a regular Verizon POTS NXX code.

That's what I call a "warble" tone. My school has it, sometimes it appears on lines dialled externally. We have about six 10k blocks worth of numbers arranged for Centrex operation, so it's possible to get such a tone from outside without seeming to dial inward. Usually, however, trouble conditions result in some sort of SS7 disconnect, so it's unusual to get a warble/reorder tone externally. We also don't have analog trunking, so you wouldn't get the failed-disconnect clicks like you're hearing here.

My guess is it belongs to a company with a T1 terminating into a PBX - lots of Lucent/AT&T/Avaya PBXes make that tone, but it sounds slightly different - all the PBXes I've heard making that tone don't have that burst of silence in between the two bursts. Judging by the relay click, maybe it's an older model, or as chronomex said, some kind of analog trunking arrangement.  I know other kinds of PBXes can make that noise too, most notably Redcom and Hitatchi.

My guess is it belongs to a company with a T1 terminating into a PBX - lots of Lucent/AT&T/Avaya PBXes make that tone, but it sounds slightly different - all the PBXes I've heard making that tone don't have that burst of silence in between the two bursts. Judging by the relay click, maybe it's an older model, or as chronomex said, some kind of analog trunking arrangement. I know other kinds of PBXes can make that noise too, most notably Redcom and Hitatchi.

Well it would make sense that its a PBX, but its sure as heck not owned by any outside companies, because the exchange is unassigned! Could Verizon have a PBX on there for some odd reason or is it somethine else?

Heres the info on the exchange at bellsmind and telcodata:

http://bellsmind.net...NPA=301&NXX=999

http://www.telcodata...01&exchange=999

And I still find it really odd that when I try to call it up with my verizon POTS line, which is in 301, but a different CO, it goes to a normal intercept recording, where as I get the odd warble/siren tone when I call it any other way.

Edited by Skunkworks

hmm, I think the unassignable mark is a mistake, telcodata seems to think it's really assigned. Anyway, 9901 and quite a few other nunmbers there goes to a paging system intercept. Judging by the sound of the relay click at the end, this could be the same thing we're dealing with now. Doesn't explain why it's taking up the whole exchange, though.

And I still find it really odd that when I try to call it up with my verizon POTS line, which is in 301, but a different CO, it goes to a normal intercept recording, where as I get the odd warble/siren tone when I call it any other way.

If you were dialing randomly, could it be you were hitting the paging NIS on accident?

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

hmm, I think the unassignable mark is a mistake, telcodata seems to think it's really assigned. Anyway, 9901 and quite a few other nunmbers there goes to a paging system intercept. Judging by the sound of the relay click at the end, this could be the same thing we're dealing with now. Doesn't explain why it's taking up the whole exchange, though.

If you were dialing randomly, could it be you were hitting the paging NIS on accident?

Nope, just tried again and got "call cannot be completed as dialed" from the verizon POTS and the warble/siren with google voice dialing 999-9999.

Now the really odd part is I went and decoded the SIT before "call cannot be completed as dialed", and its the VC SIT, not the IC SIT! Meaning "Unassigned N11 code, CLASS code or prefix" aka "long short long, high low low."

So at least as far as verizon is concerned, this is an unassigned exchange.

This is weird blink.gif

Maybe it's just in-LATA toll? I just tried making the call from a switch in DC which should be part of the same local calling area, and got a reorder.

EDIT: I take that back, are you in the Hagerstown LATA?

'Oy there. Can anyone recognize what this number is? It picks up after about 10 or so rings.

1-909-390-0048

Recording: http://gonullyoursel...09-390-0048.wav

I just called it. It rang for about 4 minutes, went to a busy signal for a short time then went silent.

Good thing you saved the .wav file.

When I call it from my Verizon cell phone and my Qwest land line I get the warble/siren both times. I called it from the 303 area code btw.

Yeah, I think skunkworks' switch is crazy or something, and is just trying to tell him to put a 1 in front of the number.

By the way, if you get a sec, could you record getting the error message?

Recording is attached, first dialing 3019999999 and then 13019999999.

The odd thing is that while the recording has the VC SIT, just dialing 301-999 will not send you to intercept, unlike dialing, say, 301-959.

Usually when dialing a vacant exchange, I get the message after six digits, this is not the case for 301-999.

Weird huh.gif

recording.wav

Edited by Skunkworks

Rather by accident, I found some cool Cablevision/Optimum Voice numbers.

Optimum Voice Research and Operations: 516-803-9333 and 516-803-9797

Customer Service Reps Direct: 631-846-4600

Technical Support Reps Direct: 631-846-4601

here a number everyone check it out best partyline in world called THE HOOKAH LOUNGE

7244443508 when you get there press 1 1 and say hi to me and kitty and every one else in there btw let every one know about this line plz thanks in advance

Edited by vic2178

http://thoughtphreak...nisia-error.wav

Forgot the number I called to get that, but isn't that the best error message ever? Africa ftw.

+33-4-9555-1000

This is, without a doubt, the most pretentious IVR I've ever heard. If you don't think it's worth a call to France, here's a recording.

http://thoughtphreak...orsica_ivr.flac

EDIT: fixed Tunisian link

cali. party line, 209-391-2772

408-538-1755

cant seem to find any info on these numbers,

anyone want to try?

318-424-4327 - This number rings an old tape deck running a hearing test. Try calling this over long distance carriers that use comfort noise or silence suppression, it'll make your results a lot more interesting.

For shits and giggles, here's another one - 847-742-8378

cali. party line, 209-391-2772

408-538-1755

google dont give you nada about these numbers

anyone here go on conf?

I know this goes unsaid for, but I thought I'd just say for some of those that're newer to the board that most partylines are known for being home to a lot of unscrupulous activity. By lots, I mean that the majority of the SWAT calls you hear about in the news come from partylines. A number of them are subject to heavy amounts of lawful surveillance for that very reason, and for the simple fact that a lot of the participants are malicious.

So to recap, there's nothing wrong with having a good time, just remember that partylines have a bad reputation for a very good reason. If you decide to call, be careful!

248-724-3282 - data base line, "please enter first 6 digi's of da number u want info on"

holla!