Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

One Keyboard + Mouse, multiple computers

10 posts in this topic

I have multiple computers and I don't like using multiple keyboards or mice to control them. What I'd like to do is be able to just use the same for them all, and mouse my cursor in one of them to direct where my keyboard input will go. So far what I've been doing is remotely accessing one of the computers I wanted to control with the same keyboard and mouse, but that creates unnecessary overhead, mostly for video. Here's the idea of the ideal program I have in mind:

1) I set up an X screen, for instance, at the left of my current screen, but in reality there is no such screen. That would allow me to move my cursor in a non-existent screen, and still get its position as if there really was a screen there.

2) Whenever my cursor moves in that non-existent X screen, my keyboard and mouse input is captured to be sent via the network to my laptop, which will simulate the input.

Does such a tool exist? That would be an awesome tool. If it doesn't exist, it is certainly a nice doable project.

Synergy is one solution. You can also just use a KVM switch.

a kvm would be much easier. you can pick up a 4 port kvm pretty cheap

-E

If you go with a KVM, I'd recommend one of the digital (powered) ones, especially if you're using PS/2 mice and keyboards. A lot of machines will drop the keyboard with KVM switches that are just physical switches. I picked up an 8-port rack mounted digital KVM for under $50 some time ago, and it's been worth every dollar.

I would also suggest Synergy, because you are adding a laptop into the mix. With a KVM, you would also typically have to switch the video feed to your monitor to change the computer you are controlling. With synergy, you would be able to leave your desktop on it's monitor and be able to see both machines at the same time, which I assume is what you want.

-Light

I've never heard of synergy, but I've used KVM switches, so that would be the only thing I could suggest.

I've never heard of synergy, but I've used KVM switches, so that would be the only thing I could suggest.

I love Synergy. It allows two OS to share the same keyboard and mouse over 2 screens. I use it everyday with Debian and MS Server 2008!

I love Synergy. It allows two OS to share the same keyboard and mouse over 2 screens. I use it everyday with Debian and MS Server 2008!

So both OS's function as if they were ONE gui?

Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with different operating systems, each with its own display, without special hardware. It's intended for users with multiple computers on their desk since each system uses its own monitor(s).

Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with different operating systems, each with its own display, without special hardware. It's intended for users with multiple computers on their desk since each system uses its own monitor(s).

I'll look into it, this software might benefit me. Thanks.