Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jelliott7593

Ubuntu Login Crash

11 posts in this topic

I just got tired of using Debian on my eMachines T3624. So I decided I wanted to hit up Ubuntu 8.10. Throughout the installation process everything went perfect. It comes to the point were I have to restart, take the CD out and login in. I get to the login screen, enter my username and password and click login. As soon as I hit enter it gets stuck in either a black empty screen with no mouse cursor or it gets stuck in the tan-ish default color background with a movable cursor.

From there its nonoperational. I've tried the installation process several times with the same results. Even re downloaded the Ubuntu i386 ISO and burned it again. And the weirdest part about this is that it worked perfectly with Debian, not a problem once so ever. I would really appreciate any help, I just wanna run Ubuntu. Thanks!

Hi phasma, I run Ubuntu 8.10 x64 on Core2Quad. works perfectly. You might want to ask on ubuntu forum, they help there really fast.

Some of your hardware mustn't be supported. You said you redownloaded, but try and burn it to a DIFFERENT disk. Seriously strange though. If you simply can NOT get it to work you could always try downloading 8.04 and then updating to 8.10(not sure if that would help AT ALL, but you can try). Check the ubuntu forums like Node said, but my personal opinion is something with hardware compatibility. It should work if that isn't the case... and it apparently is NOT working. Good luck.

Try loggin in without X (ctrl+alt+f1) and looking though the log files. If you dont know where the log files are check out

cd /var/log/

Do what phr34kc0der suggested then run this.

dmesg

It will display the log of when you booted the kernel, which probably has some useful information.

You can also look for the dmesg log file in /var/log

But someone developed a executable to make it much easier(dmesg).

You can also check the log files for X Windows. You will have to look that up, I do not know that of the top of my head.

The Alternate CD has better hardware support.

Might be worth trying that.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I will post results when I get the chance to, asap.

the syslog and messages log files might also be worth checking out too

Definitely sounds like a hardware problem, usually having to do with X and your video card. Although, usually the only time that these kinds of errors happen is when you try to use effects that your card can't handle. Try to reinstall. Or try everyone else's ideas too, they sound a bit better than mine.

I've had this problem before and its usually just a reinstall. Also, try booting in repair mode or whatever its called, at the GRUB menu.

Nevermind..

Stupid question retracted.

Edited by PurpleJesus