dinscurge

connection/bus speeds

36 posts in this topic

im probably a noob for asking but whats with the bus/connection speeds saying they are way faster than they are? i mean i dont download at 100mbps, i cant copy a 3gb file from a sata drive to another in a second, so what do the connection speeds actually mean? if i plug in my laptop from 54mbps to ethernet 100mbps it doesnt get double the speed. basically im asking why do they say ethernet is 100mbps if it is not?

im probably a noob for asking but whats with the bus/connection speeds saying they are way faster than they are? i mean i dont download at 100mbps, i cant copy a 3gb file from a sata drive to another in a second, so what do the connection speeds actually mean? if i plug in my laptop from 54mbps to ethernet 100mbps it doesnt get double the speed. basically im asking why do they say ethernet is 100mbps if it is not?

Those are the maximum speeds. There are many factors that determine data transfer speed between two devices. For the hard drive, factors may include: IO bus speed; processor speed; device driver effeciency; presence/absence of virtualization; hard drive transfer capacity; buffer; disk read speed. Essentially, that SATA speed rating says: "If nothing else prevents it, this system can support a theoretical maximum of (insert speed here)."

These are also often the peak speeds. In practice, one doesn't achieve these on a regular basis. A number of devices average speed is pretty close to their peak speed, but you should never expect peak performance. Think of it as a bonus: no guarantee, but certainly nice when it happens.

Those are the maximum speeds. There are many factors that determine data transfer speed between two devices. For the hard drive, factors may include: IO bus speed; processor speed; device driver effeciency; presence/absence of virtualization; hard drive transfer capacity; buffer; disk read speed. Essentially, that SATA speed rating says: "If nothing else prevents it, this system can support a theoretical maximum of (insert speed here)."

These are also often the peak speeds. In practice, one doesn't achieve these on a regular basis. A number of devices average speed is pretty close to their peak speed, but you should never expect peak performance. Think of it as a bonus: no guarantee, but certainly nice when it happens.

Exactly.

Most new ethernet jacks are gigabit jack now. (1,000mbps)

And..You don't have a 100mbps internet connection just based upon your computer hardware.

Edited by R4p1d

so basicaly ethernet cards suck as i havent seen much of a difference from the original scsi to sata like 12kbps faster, i mean my fast-20 scsi 15krpm drive on my netra 1u is faster than my internet could possibly be as it transfers about 120mbps and thats from 1999 pretty much all new computers are faster then the regular internet. before my old 2.6ghz 512 ram tower with ide blew up i went from like 55-65kbps just by freeing ram because it had a bloated windows xp.

so basicaly ethernet cards suck as i havent seen much of a difference from the original scsi to sata like 12kbps faster, i mean my fast-20 scsi 15krpm drive on my netra 1u is faster than my internet could possibly be as it transfers about 120mbps and thats from 1999 pretty much all new computers are faster then the regular internet. before my old 2.6ghz 512 ram tower with ide blew up i went from like 55-65kbps just by freeing ram because it had a bloated windows xp.

Edit: Ok, I realize this is "Nubie HQ", so I'm just going to bite my tongue.

But seriously, learn to form coherent sentences.

Edited by Spyril

All I understand is "so basicaly ethernet cards suck"

your average computer is faster than the internet/s maximum speed. basically the limitting part is probably the ethernet card.

your average computer is faster than the internet/s maximum speed. basically the limitting part is probably the ethernet card.

No, The limiting part is the "internet/s maximum speed"

Edit: Unless you have an ancient computer.

Edited by R4p1d

1. a computer that can transfer 125mbps from hdd-hdd transfers like 70kbps on 100mbps internet. so 1 the ethernet card is slow/limiting or the internet from my isp is really slow

1. a computer that can transfer 125mbps from hdd-hdd transfers like 70kbps on 100mbps internet. so 1 the ethernet card is slow/limiting or the internet from my isp is really slow

No...there is nothing wrong with the computer, something else is.....SlOW.

probably isp then

Yup, blame it on the ISP.

Edited by R4p1d

ofcourse its not the isp wifi is supposed to be the exact same speed as ethernet doesnt matter old, or new computer, tried different routers

ofcourse its not the isp wifi is supposed to be the exact same speed as ethernet doesnt matter old, or new computer, tried different routers

Um, no...

Wifi is not as fast as ethernet....ever. :mellow:

Edited by R4p1d

wifi is like the same speed as dual ethernet on my cable internet. with both linksys or netgear/cisco router

wifi is like the same speed as dual ethernet on my cable internet. with both linksys or netgear/cisco router

Wifi has equal speeds compared to dual ethernet lines? Really

How do you do that?

Edited by R4p1d

Wifi has equal speeds compared to dual ethernet lines? Really

How do you do that?

He should post a HOWTO on that: "Achieving Dual-Gigabit Ethernet Speeds On WiFi Hardware: How to get 2Gbps on the cheap." This could save US companies millions of dollars annually on infrastructure costs. Why isn't someone selling this right now?

Edited by army_of_one

Dinscurge, buddy, your hardware sounds like it is ancient.

Get net shit.

1.) First of all, what part of "your average computer" are we talking about here?

2.) Your ethernet card does not control how quickly your ISP transfers your data.

3.) "The limiting part"? The limiting part of what?

Seriously, you're expecting the internet to be as fast as your hard drive. Seriously?!

ofcourse its not the isp wifi is supposed to be the exact same speed as ethernet

Wrong.

doesnt matter old, or new computer

Newer, faster standards - wrong.

Citation Needed.

if i use a netbook intel atom with sata its 65-68kbps wifi or ethernet, core 2 duo with 1gb of ram and sata is like 66kbps ethernet or wifi, if i use p3 mobile 1ghz with 256ram its like 67kbps ethernet and the new linux kernel crashes it so dunno what it does with my 108mbps pcmcia wifi card but probably the same. as its not my hardware its probably the retarded cable "box"

if i use a netbook intel atom with sata its 65-68kbps wifi or ethernet, core 2 duo with 1gb of ram and sata is like 66kbps ethernet or wifi, if i use p3 mobile 1ghz with 256ram its like 67kbps ethernet and the new linux kernel crashes it so dunno what it does with my 108mbps pcmcia wifi card but probably the same. as its not my hardware its probably the retarded cable "box"

Sorry, I can't help you any more.

smash%20and%20break%20computer%20pc%20monitor%20with%20keyboard[12].jpg

Fuck it.

I give up.

What, are you wondering why your Internet is slow? Sure, you may have gigabit Ethernet on your LAN, but the limiting factor would be your isp. I don't know of any residential Internet packages over 10mbps, let alone 1gbps, so your speed is limited by your ISP's hardware, and what service plan you have.

im not sure but its slower than stated they dont sell in units which is bullcrap