Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

Hacking CDMA & EVDO Networks

29 posts in this topic

I'm beginning to read more about this, and I'd like to know if I can buy one of these PCMIA or USB adapters that some cellphone providers sell to access the internet using their network from your laptop, and start exploring how the network looks like. I was thinking mostly of using my laptop as my "cellphone" just for the fun of it. My cellphone provider is Telus and it uses both CDMA and EVDO (EVDO not being available everywhere in Quebec, but it is almost everywhere where I live). I'm not sure if Telus sells adapters for computers, but I can see there are a couple of very cheap ones on ebay from Alltel, for CDMA & EVDO. Does it really change something, or can I buy one from a different cellphone provider, as long as it supports the same type of network? Is there any particular card I should take a look at? Thanks.

im not sure i've never really looked at them but as cellphone comanies are pretty greedy the device is usually locked not the simcard, so you may want search for unlocked and whatever model your looking at just to see if anything comes up. soem search showed that some uk vodaphone cards can be bought unlocked?

Edited by dinscurge

Another thing which may be useful: My contract ends in like two months, and I'm going to buy a new phone with the new contract. My current phone is a Motorola RAZR V3C, which seems to have its own website dedicated to hacking it. I have no idea if I could install something else on it, connect it to my computer with the USB cable, and use it as a way of accessing the network.

EDIT: I moved this topic to the Phreaking section of the forums, it seems more related to that than General Hacking.

Another thing which may be useful: My contract ends in like two months, and I'm going to buy a new phone with the new contract. My current phone is a Motorola RAZR V3C, which seems to have its own website dedicated to hacking it. I have no idea if I could install something else on it, connect it to my computer with the USB cable, and use it as a way of accessing the network.

EDIT: I moved this topic to the Phreaking section of the forums, it seems more related to that than General Hacking.

yeah you could probably make it share the internet like most smartphones but not to sure about sniffing out the network or anything it would probably be possible it would just be different ports and different network protocols. as far as i know it would probably just show tons and tons of dev's connected to one wifi basically anything deeper than that i wouldnt really be able to guess i mean they could have toweres connected with lan or even towers with high powered wlan's just mirroring siginal from other towers, get it direct from satelite, mabey all connect to one main hub.

Sorry I don't remember the site, but I do remember reading that some providers allowed certain traffic to be tunneled through their network, such as DNS. I've always wanted to look into this but I'm a bit afraid of being tracked down by teh almighty ATnT.

http://www.globaltravellersim.com/ you could get sommething like that then you wouldnt have to worry about atnt, ive asked about it before here but no one cared/knew about any of them but i think theres "root" keycodes because they work at everytower and atnt isnt gonna let ppl sell 10c a min call anyone in the world so they must have actually unlocked the sims i guess Edited by dinscurge

http://www.globaltravellersim.com/ you could get sommething like that then you wouldnt have to worry about atnt, ive asked about it before here but no one cared/knew about any of them but i think theres "root" keycodes because they work at everytower and atnt isnt gonna let ppl sell 10c a min call anyone in the world so they must have actually unlocked the sims i guess

The problem with that is that my cellphone provider does not even use SIM cards :(

The problem with that is that my cellphone provider does not even use SIM cards :(

really? what do they use? never heard of some one not using them, wonder how they get auth.

Edited by dinscurge

really? what do they use? never heard of some one not using them, wonder how they get auth.

No idea, somewhere else in the phone, but I am sure about that: no SIM.

CDMA providers (Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, Cricket, MetroPCS) don't use SIMs. GSM providers (AT&T, T-Mobile) and iDen (Nextel) use SIMs.

Edited by dmine45

well then id go for working with gsm then as their network is faster because cdma2000 only has 3g like the iphone so its just double the speed of edge 2.5g instead of the full 3.5g 2.8mbps think they have like 12 some mbps now on tmobile-germany, but whichever you can do will work it would probably just be easyer with sim as if you were to flash the rom in your phone or something you wouldn't have to worry about messing up the auth. as it isnt provided by the phone itself,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA2000 some interesting stuff about using multiple connections/carriers too boost speed.

CDMA providers (Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, Cricket, MetroPCS) don't use SIMs. GSM providers (AT&T, T-Mobile) and iDen (Nextel) use SIMs.

Although a common practise for CDMA carriers like Bell Mobility is to provide hybrid phones. When in range of their own network, they use CDMA/EVDO. When the phones are roaming, they use the SIM card in the phone to hook onto a GSM/GPRS network.

Edited by Seal

well then id go for working with gsm then as their network is faster because cdma2000 only has 3g like the iphone so its just double the speed of edge 2.5g instead of the full 3.5g 2.8mbps think they have like 12 some mbps now on tmobile-germany, but whichever you can do will work it would probably just be easyer with sim as if you were to flash the rom in your phone or something you wouldn't have to worry about messing up the auth. as it isnt provided by the phone itself,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA2000 some interesting stuff about using multiple connections/carriers too boost speed.

Reading these posts hurts my brain.

You talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

theres 3g networks like atnt which are amazingly fast at around 288mbps, or beyond 3g suchs as 3.5g tmobile at 9-15x faster than atnt network but they just call it 3g as it stops confision of 3 and 1/2 g which is beyond 3g so technicly 4g but it is not full speed 4g its not wimax 100mbps its only like 13mbps. and it was interesting to see wiki. stating that you could connect to multiple towers with cdma to get faster speeds.

I'm beginning to read more about this, and I'd like to know if I can buy one of these PCMIA or USB adapters that some cellphone providers sell to access the internet using their network from your laptop, and start exploring how the network looks like. I was thinking mostly of using my laptop as my "cellphone" just for the fun of it. My cellphone provider is Telus and it uses both CDMA and EVDO (EVDO not being available everywhere in Quebec, but it is almost everywhere where I live). I'm not sure if Telus sells adapters for computers, but I can see there are a couple of very cheap ones on ebay from Alltel, for CDMA & EVDO. Does it really change something, or can I buy one from a different cellphone provider, as long as it supports the same type of network? Is there any particular card I should take a look at? Thanks.

You'll need to purchase a universal adapter.

Make sure you have an unlimited data plan, I've seen friends end up with 500dollar bills because they didn't monitor their data usage.

You talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

Gratuitous comments like this are not welcome. First, you obviously do not know Seal well enough to say things like this, he's an awesome and well respected member and has been here for much longer than you. Second, you did not even justify your silly comment. If you have nothing interesting to say, then simply do not post.

However, I agree that if dinscurge took more time to write more coherent sentences it would make it easier to read, because it is hard to read and understand correctly.

Make sure you have an unlimited data plan, I've seen friends end up with 500dollar bills because they didn't monitor their data usage.

Are the adapters made by cellphone companies lock to their companies, and is it possible to unlock them if they are locked? What are the technical limitations to buying one from another company?

There's this one which is dirt cheap on eBay.

I want to take a look at the universal adapters you're talking about, do you have any model name in mind?

P.S.: I want to use my laptop as a phone, using the service I have with my real cellphone. I would maybe consider buying a data plan later, and I will be cautious not to use the internet connection provided by my cellphone provider, they charge atrocious prices.

dinscurge: My cellphone provider has a mixed CMDA and EVDO network, other companies that use GSM networks are more expensive here. I don't necessarily care about the network speed, I mostly care about accessing the network as if I was my phone, but using my laptop.

Are the adapters made by cellphone companies lock to their companies, and is it possible to unlock them if they are locked? What are the technical limitations to buying one from another company?

There's this one which is dirt cheap on eBay.

I want to take a look at the universal adapters you're talking about, do you have any model name in mind?

P.S.: I want to use my laptop as a phone, using the service I have with my real cellphone. I would maybe consider buying a data plan later, and I will be cautious not to use the internet connection provided by my cellphone provider, they charge atrocious prices.

dinscurge: My cellphone provider has a mixed CMDA and EVDO network, other companies that use GSM networks are more expensive here. I don't necessarily care about the network speed, I mostly care about accessing the network as if I was my phone, but using my laptop.

Just as long as the card isn't made by an actual cellular provider, I think you should be fine, look at some of these cards; http://www.ec21.com/ec-market/evdo_pcmcia.html

Gratuitous comments like this are not welcome. First, you obviously do not know Seal well enough to say things like this, he's an awesome and well respected member and has been here for much longer than you. Second, you did not even justify your silly comment. If you have nothing interesting to say, then simply do not post.

However, I agree that if dinscurge took more time to write more coherent sentences it would make it easier to read, because it is hard to read and understand correctly.

It was a movie reference.

Edited by G-Brain

It was a movie reference.

Sorry about that, from which movie is it from?

Let me make a small suggestion:

Why not try modifying a Sprint Airave or a Verizon Network Extender? They're both those Samsung Ubicell CDMA femtocell units, but from what I've seen, they talk encrypted on an IPsec VPN setup back to Sprint/VZ for provisioning and service.

Other than that those look pretty interesting... they provide a mini cloud of CDMA 1xRTT, and supposedly via firmware upgrades not seen yet, EVDO capabilities in their chipsets. Only downside is they're GPS locked so they can't be taken abroad.

eBay's got 'em cheap.

ok so pretty much any phone you buy now is going to have built in DUN (dial up networking) capability via bluetooth, usb, or have interenet connection sharing so that it can act as a wireless hot spot over bluetooth PAN or wifi. the only problem is that once the carrirer decides to sell a certain model they lock it down tighter than shit. in the past verizon has been really bad with locking down features that would otherwise be available in an unlocked version straight from the manufacturer. simple things like obex file push and bluetooth DUN, and serial port connectivity etc etc. this is obviously done so that people cannot share mp3's or wallpapers, screensavers, ringtones etc etc for free over bluetooth connections, so that youre forced to buy all your content from them. they would also like to charge you 4 times as much for a laptop connect card and laptop connect service which is exactly the same data you would get through your cellular phone.

with all that being said i have never had any problem with att/cingular/att again, i have always had an unlimited data plan through my phone and and have been tethering to my laptops for years and never had any problems. even the old first gen razr v3's were capable of this from cingular without any firmware, rom flash, radio version upgrade or any thrid party apps. I personally buy all my phones unlocked, and i love htc phones. i have had the tilt the cingular 3125, the htc touch diamond, and just recently the htc touch HD (which is the sickest phone on the market currently). with huuuuuge online communities like xda-develpers.com and popular rom cooks like duttythroy.net the windows mobile devices are the best thing going. so many options so may apps so many customizable features, it makes iphones look like fisher price toys.

another thing is, is that laptop connect cards will not give your laptop the fucntionality of a cell phone. you can however make calls via skype just as if you were connected to any other internet connection, but youll find that the communication manager apps for these laptop connect cards will not give you cellular calling abilities. however you can do things like talk though your computer to your phone over bluetooth. for example my htc touch HD supports A2DP,HSP,HFP,PAN,HID,OPP,BPP,FTP,SAP,AVRCP,DUN,PBAP,SPP,SDAP, and things like remote sim access so that you can access your sim contacts dial send text messages etc all over the 1mbps bluetooth 2.0 connection. thats a shitload of connectivity options available to you.

i personally like the flexibility of gsm devices simply because its super easy to change my sim card out in case i break or lose a phone i can just call att and have them activate one of my other spare sim cards and pop it in one of my other phones. i like umts handsets because they give you simultaneous data and voice connectivity, so if im running my irc client or im app in the background and i get a phone call it wont drop my data connection. 3g phones here are pretty quick but make sure if you get an unlocked phone that it supports the proper frequencies for hsdpa/hsupa frequencies otherwise you might be stuck on the slower edge or gprs connection. for example tmobiles 3g network rocks on 900/2100mhz while att rocks on 850/1800mhz, so you wont be able to take a tmobile 3g phone, unlock it and have it run properly on att's 3g network. the guys in euro are really lucking with their hsdpa connections hitting speeds as high as7.2mbps. on their phones! thats what im talking about.

but anyways if it were me i would go with a windows mobile device because of the hackability, flexibility, and slick UI especially the touchflo3d interface that htc puts out on their win mobile devices. theyre also going to generally sport better hardware specs than rim/palm/symbian/or iphones. so it leaves alot of options open to you.

Wow, it's threads like this which just make people bow in shame.

So much mininfomation. Really.

I'll may post up another post in a few minutes where most of you people are wrong. Last thing needed is people like you spreading false infomation.