Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nipun_mohta

Not able to access anti-virus sites

18 posts in this topic

I think there is a virus in my system which has set the ips of all anti-virus sites to 127.0.0.1 in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts. I had Kaspersky 2009 and its license got expired so I was trying to dl Avast. But I was not able to open the site because of this thing. Please help me.

Thx in advance.

Edited by Nipun Mohta

The site just could be down. Try visiting AVG.com to see if you can get access. If what your saying is the case then download Avira Installer.exe on a different computer and transfer it by USB thumbdrive.

EDIT: Just totally reformat your computer, sounds like you were hit with Conficker C.

Edited by phasma

There's ways to redirect without using the Hosts file, but if you think its in the hosts file have you tried editing it with a plain-text editor?

I suggest reinstalling windows though and installing windows with a fresh SP3.

You may wish to ping the DNS and IP through your command prompt and see if you have any luck there, if so it may be a browser issue, if IE7 use TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > ADVANCED > RESET - it will unattach all addons, etc...

Again you can test if it is a current running program doing this in most cases by trying to visit them in Safe mode with networking

If you are finding that you system is fighting against you, you could use another machine (library?) or a bootable Linux CD to connect to the internet and download whatever install EXE/ZIPs you need. Then reboot into windows and install the antivirus directly from the harddisk.

Mungewell.

If you find that your system is infected, security standards would demand that you reformat and reinstall. That may or may not be the case. Either way, there is no sure way of completely disinfecting a system once it has been infected, and so, if you suspect that the machine is infected, security standards would dictate that you treat it as if it is.

Try using ComboFix. At least we will know if it's malware.

That kind of behavior sounds like it might be the Conficker worm.

The linux live CD idea is a good one, there are some that will come with AV scanning software already. But in general, you may want to look at format/reinstall if you have the means.

That kind of behavior sounds like it might be the Conficker worm.

The linux live CD idea is a good one, there are some that will come with AV scanning software already. But in general, you may want to look at format/reinstall if you have the means.

I was thinking the same thing, Lol.

:D

I think there is a virus in my system which has set the ips of all anti-virus sites to 127.0.0.1 in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts. I had Kaspersky 2009 and its license got expired so I was trying to dl Avast. But I was not able to open the site because of this thing. Please help me.

Thx in advance.

It sounds like you just need to reinstall your Operating System.

Is this really necessary in 2009? If it is, that's ridiculous.

Backup important files first, reinstall Windows.

After the installation has completed, install windows updates FIRST.

Do not do anything else, this includes browsing the web.

Once the updates are finished, install your anti-virus and replace the files that you backed up.

That's the only thing I suggest.

What does the current year have to do with this?

If the transmission in your car has a serious problem, and fixing it would cost you more than the price of a brand new transmission, why would you fix it? Just buy the new one. Cheaper and easier at the end of the day. This is the same in 2009 or 1909.

This is probably a giant reason as to why people have an aversion to paying so much fucking money for an operating system.

Edited by decoder

If the transmission in your car has a serious problem, and fixing it would cost you more than the price of a brand new transmission, why would you fix it? Just buy the new one. Cheaper and easier at the end of the day. This is the same in 2009 or 1909.

I'm just amazed by how normal this seems to people. Also, rebooting a computer to finish installing software. I can't believe people put up with that shit.

I'm just amazed by how normal this seems to people. Also, rebooting a computer to finish installing software. I can't believe people put up with that shit.

I don't understand whats not so normal about reinstalling an OS to make sure its clear of viruses. I mean sure, you can just try to remove it but there is no fool proof way of knowing its 100% gone.

You wouldn't happen to be a Head Network Administrator for a Large Bank would you?

You should just reinstall the OS...

Dont forget, the malware writers will always be one step ahead, and they've had the previous X number of years to practice their techniques. As soon as it gets to the point of not needing to reinstall the OS then they'll probably start attacking the hardware (and yes, i've heard about that bios attack and like most of you i was impressed, but didnt see anything special)

google confiker virus... there are all kinds of instructions on how to remove it... the confiker does not allow you to visit any anti virus site...

google confiker virus... there are all kinds of instructions on how to remove it... the confiker does not allow you to visit any anti virus site...

So does a multitude of other malware. Unless we have more information, we can't say it's Conficker.

Edited by WhatChout