Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
schippstrich

*nix Publications

15 posts in this topic

I went to Borders the other day, and picked up a copy of Linux Pro Magazine after glancing through it. It looked really promising, I just finished all the articles earlier today and I learned a few things. Good Stuff!

There was a good article on Micro vs. Monolithic kernels(I've never read about any of that but now I want to)

What do you guys normally read or what are particular publications that you enjoy.

I think I might start subscribing to Linux Pro, not sure yet though. What are your thoughts on Linux Pro?

Also I didn't know they had BSD magazines, that caught me by surprise.

I'm actually being quite serious. I haven't read a single *nix, hacking, etc. magazine in years thanks to google.

Well first off Google is not a publication, and second if you haven't read any or have anything worth contributing, don't!

Surprisingly, I've seen some pretty decent Linux magazines before at Barnes & Nobles.

I bought an issue of Linux Pro a while back and it seemed like a very good magazine. I would have subscribed to it if it weren't for my lack of time and soon to be lack of funds. I like reading about Linux on the net for specific questions and problems I might have. A good magazine like Linux Pro may give you some good ideas you might not find yourself. My suggestion is buy a few monthly copies to see if you like it good enough to subscribe. Good luck and happy reading. B)

I pass every day by a convenience store, and they have a couple of these magazines. I always take a look at them quickly, to see the table of contents. I sometimes find something interesting, but then see the expensive price ($12) which is way too much just for me to read an article, especially when I can google it. I just don't buy it, and google it later.

I read a few of them. Linux Journal is by far my favorite. But Linux Pro, Linux User & Developer, and Linux Format are all good publications. The latter two I will buy when I have the extra cash as they can be quite pricey, $14.50 and $16.99 respectively.

The best articles I've seen have always been in linux journal, however the issues are really hit or miss and even in good ones I only care about a couple of articles usually.

Linux Format

DDJ and SysAdmin were great in the early days, but have since died. Linux Journal is the pretty much the only one I bother with now. Between the web and books, the value of a magazine focused strictly on *nix seems to be decreasing.

Personally I read Linux Journal, Linux Format, and occassionally TUX

I can only read Linux Journal. All the other linux publications are way too expensive, and seem to be geared more towards beginner users. I want to see code snippets when I open my linux magazine!