Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dinscurge

fluxbox/text install os for old lappy

46 posts in this topic

for /etc/x11 it returns no such directory or file

for /var/log it returns 18 logs

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ATI_Rage_Mobility_M3 wonder why its crashing my ati m3 says its supported by xorg

when i tried "Xorg -configure" it put it in "/root/xorg.conf.new" so im guessing the one you were looking for was in "/usr/%usernamme%/xorg.conf"?

Let take a step back here, I am starting to get lost.

1.) Add these lines to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

2.) Then open a terminal and update apt repo and get new updates, using these commands.

apt-get update && apt-get install debian-backports-keyring && apt-get update

3.) Now we're going to apt-get gdm/build essentials/ssh/xserver/irssi. NOTE: You have some of these installed all ready but just run this command any way!

apt-get -t etch-backports install build-essential vim ssh xserver-xorg xorg gdm fluxbox gnome-terminal gedit unzip unrar bzip2 irssi

4.) Run startx, if nothing is working try rebooting and re-running startx

5.) If you want conky

apt-get install conky

6. To set a background image (resets after shutdown) run.

Esetroot -c /path/to/the/image

Hope this helped.

EDIT: Added "S" in /etc/apt/source.list

Edited by phasma

tried

ls /etc/apt/source.list

and it returned no such file or directory. it has everything to run fluxbox it just crashes the gpu when xinit

tried
 ls /etc/apt/source.list

and it returned no such file or directory. it has everything to run fluxbox it just crashes the gpu when xinit

Whoops my mistake :P. Try /etc/apt/sources.list, I hate typos.

tried
 ls /etc/apt/source.list

lols same, sorry for bein a noob but just add it to the end of the list?

Edited by dinscurge

tried
 ls /etc/apt/source.list

lols same, sorry for bein a noob but just add it to the end of the list?

Yups!

and how do i save in vim? never really used before

To enter in commands hit "Esc" then type ":w" to save. Quitting is :q and force quitting is :!q

To enter in commands hit "Esc" then type ":w" to save. Quitting is :q and force quitting is :!q

thanks i already knew how to enter commands just didnt see the :w in [f1]

says it cant find debian-backports-keyring and i did enter the 3 extra sources and double checked to make sure i entered them correctly.

Edited by dinscurge

says it cant find debian-backports-keyring and i did enter the 3 extra sources and double checked to make sure i entered them correctly.

Then just do sudo apt-get install updates

i did a sudo apt get updates but still turns the screen off, idk

Well that shows some type of hardware or low-level OS problem, which is out of my reach.

Well that shows some type of hardware or low-level OS problem, which is out of my reach.

im guessing its the new kernel as the new gentoo/ubuntu doesnt work either, and dsl is just debian with older kernel, but cannont confirm such as i cant find an older version of debian to try as the mirrors just have the new lenny and if i click projects i can see the older ones but all their just like 1kb files that say a random number not an iso.. but now im poed lols already bought a wifi card for it off new egg got a full duplex netgear 108mbps rangemax wifi card for like $8 just poed cant use it for anything

Edited by dinscurge

im guessing its the new kernel as the new gentoo/ubuntu doesnt work either, and dsl is just debian with older kernel, but cannont confirm such as i cant find an older version of debian to try as the mirrors just have the new lenny and if i click projects i can see the older ones but all their just like 1kb files that say a random number not an iso.. but now im poed lols already bought a wifi card for it off new egg got a full duplex netgear 108mbps rangemax wifi card for like $8 just poed cant use it for anything

What version of debian do you want?

pretty much any one that doesnt have errors and is pre 500 so anything like 300-400

pretty much any one that doesnt have errors and is pre 500 so anything like 300-400

4 Etch is what I use and it works fantastically!

edit: found a mirror but all i got was a contents file?

Edited by dinscurge

What do you mean the "content" of the files?

it didnt give an iso just a folder: "etch contents" i finally found the iso. but still not working right just have to change settings for xorg.conf

it didnt give an iso just a folder: "etch contents" i finally found the iso. but still not working right just have to change settings for xorg.conf

That cant be, I am currently using etch right now and just had fluxbox on here like a week or two ago.

That cant be, I am currently using etch right now and just had fluxbox on here like a week or two ago.

have to wrok on it again, think i forgot to uninstall gnome so not sure if worked or not :D