Anonymous2012

Help with TCP/IP and routers

4 posts in this topic

Hello.

I may sound like a complete idiot, and I may even get laughed at... even in the Nubie HQ :) but I was wondering if anyone could please help me understand the following things a lot better.

1: How can I find out my real IP that I may be able to use to let another computer connect to mine through FTP and such?

2: When I go onto certain sites ( such as http://www.ip-adress.com/) my IP always seems to be located in Belliricay... which ISNT where I live, while most other people I know are shown as located in the right place. Could someone please tell me why this happens?

3: When I type in the IP of my Router, or whatever, I get a box asking for a Username and Password. What options are available, or what can you do, after entering this information correctly?

4: When I go on certain sites my IP is said to be something like 89.***.***.*** but in Command Prompt and such it sometimes says my IP is 192.***.***.***. Which is my real IP, or what do they both mean?

5: Finally... AND THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE! I read hundreds of articles, papers and documents explaining how to dial a number, using a modem I think, and connect to computers by doing this. My house has a Router though it is NOT mine, so I do not know the Username, Password etc to access it. I was wondering what do ALL these articles mean about dialing numbers and carrier tones etc, and if it is possible how can I experiment with this.

I am sorry for wasting your time but I would greatly appreciate it if you could please answer any one of these questions. I will check back regularily, more than twice a day, so if you need any more information from me to be able to help me with my questions then I will reply as soon as I possibly can.

Thankyou everyone for reading this and I await your reply with anticipation... :D

1: How can I find out my real IP that I may be able to use to let another computer connect to mine through FTP and such?

Go to whatsmyip.org, that will tell you your IP address. Then if your behind a router direct the traffic to the machine sought.

2: When I go onto certain sites ( such as http://www.ip-adress.com/) my IP always seems to be located in Belliricay... which ISNT where I live, while most other people I know are shown as located in the right place. Could someone please tell me why this happens?

That's down to your ISP, everyone's does that to a degree, a lookup won't give your actual address, hence why law agencies go to ISPs to find out who's behind an IP address

3: When I type in the IP of my Router, or whatever, I get a box asking for a Username and Password. What options are available, or what can you do, after entering this information correctly?

Alter your router's settings. Block people from using the owner's internet connection, allow other machines (not yours)?

4: When I go on certain sites my IP is said to be something like 89.***.***.*** but in Command Prompt and such it sometimes says my IP is 192.***.***.***. Which is my real IP, or what do they both mean?

That's an internal IP address, when your behind a router/gateway, different IP addresses are used.

5: Finally... AND THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE! I read hundreds of articles, papers and documents explaining how to dial a number, using a modem I think, and connect to computers by doing this. My house has a Router though it is NOT mine, so I do not know the Username, Password etc to access it. I was wondering what do ALL these articles mean about dialing numbers and carrier tones etc, and if it is possible how can I experiment with this.

Old skool buddy, dial up days, not broadband technologies. Yeah it's possible if the machine your trying to connect to is using dial up, WarDialing was often used to find machines. Very slow compared to today's broadband connections.

Edited by Swerve

Hello.

I may sound like a complete idiot, and I may even get laughed at... even in the Nubie HQ :) but I was wondering if anyone could please help me understand the following things a lot better.

No one can laugh at you here, at least not publicly.

This is semi-difficult. You're most likely connected to the Internet through a NAT router. If you run ipconfig or ifconfig and get a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x address, you are. Going to a site such as ip-address.com will show you which external IP address you're connecting from. If you have control of the router, you can forward a port to your internal address so connections can be made to your computer through the router.

It's just a guess. If it's wrong, no big deal.

This is the administration interface. Very useful. If you haven't set a username or password, try looking in your instruction manual or on the web for a default username and password. Once in there, you can do all kinds of things from configuring the firewall, any wireless options, MAC filtering, etc. What exactly is available depends on the particular model of router.

The 192.168.x.x address is the private (non-routable) address used on your local network, which is controlled by the router. The other is your publicly accessible, routable IP address controlled by your ISP.

Computers are connected with modems? Maybe 10 years ago... If you're talking about BBS systems, you're nearly 20 years late to that party. After that, people would connect to the Internet with dialup modems, but even that's mostly dead.

I am sorry for wasting your time but I would greatly appreciate it if you could please answer any one of these questions. I will check back regularily, more than twice a day, so if you need any more information from me to be able to help me with my questions then I will reply as soon as I possibly can.

You're not wasting anyone's time. If people aren't interested, they'll just ignore the post. Ask all the questions you want!

Thankyou everyone for reading this and I await your reply with anticipation... :D

You're welcome.

I'll do my best to try answering a few of your questions, at least somewhat:

1) One way to find out your external IP address (the one that someone can connect to you from the internet on) is to go to websites such as www.whatismyip.com or www.ipchicken.com (my preference). Also, in most routers, there is a page which displays status information which generally has your external IP listed.

Can't say much more than Swerve on 2 or 3.

4) The IP address starting with 89 is what is called your external IP address. The address starting with 192 is your internal (local) address. The difference is that your external address, anyone on the internet can see, where your internal address can only be seen by computers on the same network as you. Your router typically translates between these two addresses by doing Network Address Translation (NAT). This lets multiple computers use the same external IP address.

5) A modem and a router are vastly different things. A router talks between two computer networks and deals with digital data. A modem is a device with uses a telephone line to allow a computer to send data from one modem to another by converting digital data into analog audio tones and back again at the other end. There is no way to make a router do things like dial numbers or talk to a modem.

-Light

Edit: Ohm beat me to a couple points.

Edited by light