Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
faceman

out with grandcentral in with google voice

10 posts in this topic

Google is finally doing something with Grandcentral, and I'm really excited about it. Google has out done them selves with this one. The interface looks similar to gmail, and they have added several new features. I see some 2600 articles coming on this topic. It's so much better than before, it's like having a simple asterisk box that I don't have to manage.

I can think of a few things google shutdown when we tried it, I'd bet they forget to block some actions during the transition, could be an opportunity for exploration.

https://www.google.com/voice/about

Hopefully non GC users will be allowed to join up soon. I missed the boat the first time around.

I'm most anticipating the SMS feature. I'm more than willing to pay good money for a DID with inbound (and outbound, ideally) SMS support. It just doesn't exist! The only one I can find online is a sketchy-looking provider who doesn't even provide a price list.

I too was looking forward to this for the SMS support. It seems to work nicely. You can also make outbound calls to anywhere in the US for free from your Google Voice mailbox and the outbound caller ID is automatically spoofed to be the Google Voice number.

Edited by delysid

after upgrading-do you lose ANY of grand centrals original features ?

soooo-has anyone on this board upgraded yet?

I have and I like the new features. The international calling rates seem to be pretty good. I am going to make some calls to test the call quality.

I upgraded. I still can't access my pre-2008 recordings, but I haven't been able to for quite some time now with Grandcentral. I've emailed them before, but I haven't got a response. I'm pretty pissed off because I had some important messages saved there.

Custom ringback tones are the first thing I've noticed is missing. Other than that, you're given a $1.00 balance. I haven't tried placing calls yet, so I don't know how much a call costs per minute, but I guess the days of unlimited outgoing calling from GC are over.

Nope, calls to the US are free. The international rates are pretty decent, but I have not been able to get any to connect yet. It would help if I called numbers where people would actually pick up. Maybe I shall try some hotels in Rome just to see what the voice quality is like.