Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phibroptix

School Systems; The Discussion of

14 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I was wondering, well several things.

1) Most school systems now keep grades on Powerschool, even I know that, but is there any way to gain teacher/administrator privileges with just the computers. Or (even more dastardly) *gasp* is there a way to get into Powerschool? I know a cool friend of mine, and he says he's gotten in to change his tardies, but Im pretty sure the securities harder to get into, or however you call it, all help would be appreciated, thanx!

2)The school I currently attend is at an off-site campus, so we have a Mobile Computer Lab. I was able to get my hands on a computer that still had an Administrator logged on (muwahaha!) and they don't really have very good security. They have a program called NOD32, but not much, more.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because our school recently had a "student" user for all the laptops, but they canceled it, since too many people were using it to access Myspace and Email anonymously. I was wondering if you know of someway to get in so that I could set up some sort of "backup admin" user or something like that so I could log on and off anonymously.

Thanks for all your help!

Okay, I know this is completely off topic, but I am too lazy to start another one. So, I currently use a Toshiba Satellite A15-S157, and my friend did some sort of key-combination (it involved the PrtSc key) and WHAM! my computer went all haywire and it reverted back to 98 settings with a crazy color scheme and everything mega-huge, like those really old computers.

He did finally revert it back, with another mystical key combination that I could not get. I checked out Toshiba's site, and all the key combinations stuff that it was programmed originally with. I currently run Windows XP Home Edition, and I really need some help as to what he did, how can i prevent it from happening, and maybe another tip to get back at him ;)

Thanks for all the help!

I think you may find your first point will not pass rule #1.

my friend did some sort of key-combination (it involved the PrtSc key) and WHAM! my computer went all haywire and it reverted back to 98 settings with a crazy color scheme and everything mega-huge, like those really old computers.

Not CTRL-ALT-DEL ? If I were asking your question, I'd ask specifics such as Windows 98 skin only?

Bigger icons?

Safe Mode maybe?

Edited by Swerve

Yes you have a point there, but my intent is not illegal or malicious. I would be the last person who would need to change my grade, I am just wondering if it is possible to get into Powerschool, for the sake of getting into it, sorry I didn't make that clear.

my friend did some sort of key-combination (it involved the PrtSc key) and WHAM! my computer went all haywire and it reverted back to 98 settings with a crazy color scheme and everything mega-huge, like those really old computers.

Not CTRL-ALT-DEL ?

^_^ I know that much, lol, it wasn't CTRL + ALT + DEL. As I said before it involved the PrtSc key, and yes it did modify the icons to the larger setting, and it did have the same safe mode settings, but the color scheme was whacked, instead of the default blue (which i think Safe Mode runs in normally) it was white letters, black background, bright green borders, and yeah, you get the picture. I was currently surfing the web, and after he did the key-combination, it screwed the page I was on. It had huge font, and bad graphics, and yeah. I don't really know how to explain it.

I did some research into the key configuration Toshiba puts on all of its computers, and they didn't help much past the point of "CTRL+V=Copy" and that stuff. Anybody have any clue what he did, or where I could find out? On that point, do you know of any books or manuals that Toshiba published on their computers and stuff?

Maybe this is what you're talking for the funky font mode:

http://www.disabilities.eku.edu/docs/Tips%...isabilities.doc

MS Operating System Tips

Toggle to high contrast theme in Windows with left alt + left shift + print screen, enter, or alt-s for settings, alt-s, alt-y, and arrow down for contrast scheme selections.

Users can also start Accessibility programs before logging on to the computer on by pressing the Windows logo key+ U at the logon screen.

Once logged in, the Windows logo key will open the Start Menu. Use arrow keys and the tab key to navigate through the options.

Windows includes the following programs to enhance accessibility:

* Magnifier enlarges a portion of the screen for easier viewing.

* Narrator uses text-to-speech technology to read the contents of the screen aloud. This is useful for people who are blind or are vision impaired.

* On-Screen Keyboard provides users with limited mobility the ability to type on-screen using a pointing device.

All of these tools can be activated by using the Utility Manager. (Windows logo key + U). Utility Manager enables users to check an Accessibility program's status and start or stop an Accessibility program. Users with administrator-level access can designate to have the program start when Utility Manager starts.

1) Most school systems now keep grades on Powerschool, even I know that, but is there any way to gain teacher/administrator privileges with just the computers. Or (even more dastardly) *gasp* is there a way to get into Powerschool? I know a cool friend of mine, and he says he's gotten in to change his tardies, but Im pretty sure the securities harder to get into, or however you call it, all help would be appreciated, thanx!

Most school systems keep their grades on paper as well and they usually crosscheck if they think something unusual is going on. Other than that, you haven't given us nearly any information about the software and design of your school network, and so we can't help.

2)The school I currently attend is at an off-site campus, so we have a Mobile Computer Lab. I was able to get my hands on a computer that still had an Administrator logged on (muwahaha!) and they don't really have very good security. They have a program called NOD32, but not much, more.

That doesn't really mean anything. Having antivirus software installed on computers doesn't mean that the network or the computers themselves are unsecure.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because our school recently had a "student" user for all the laptops, but they canceled it, since too many people were using it to access Myspace and Email anonymously. I was wondering if you know of someway to get in so that I could set up some sort of "backup admin" user or something like that so I could log on and off anonymously.

There are hundreds of such vulnerabilities and we're not going to list them all here because that's not hacking and also most of them won't work. If you want some definite answers you have to give us more detailed information than just "my school has computers, how do I get admin access?".

Is there a way to "get in" powerschool? I'm sure. Do I know of one? No, I was more focused on improving my gpa when my school used it. Honestly, I would be more worried about taking care of school stuff than dicking around in powerschool and getting in trouble for changing things there.

But speaking about school networks, chances are good yours is pretty insecure, I know mine was. I'd suggest reading up on the basics like windows administration, networking basics, and vulnerabilities with those.

To zandi - Okay, sorry I didn't make it clear. I am not trying to "get in" to Powerschool, I brought it up so we could discuss its vulnerabilities, and how one could, but I am not trying to get in.

To WhatChout - Yes, that is true, but the teachers at most schools only keep papers about 1 week before handing them back to students, and they only keep records of the smallers grades. For instance, they have Exercise 1=20 points, Exercise 2 =30, but the totals they keep on Powerschool, but as I have stated above, I am not talking about how I could change my grades, but merely if Powerschool is vulnerable, and how it is. Sorry I didn't make that clear. =)

Also, sorry about the lack of specifications (you can probably tell I am a not very good at this stuff), so I didn't really know what to inlclude. Could you post some stuff that I should post, then I will try to find it, but here is what I know.

All of our laptops are all hosted on a different sever, which I think is at a different campus. Our laptops run WinXP, although they're made for Vista, and they are Dell Latitude|D630. Other than that, I don't know what else to include, so you'll have to tell me what I should get.

And a big thank you to PurpleJesus, that is the one, I've been looking for that a long time, big thanks man! :D

About the laptops, it's likely they are all in the same windows domain, and you authenticate with a domain controller of some sort. Read up on how microsoft networks are set up, maybe you'll notice something about your school's setup that you hadn't earlier.

All of our laptops are all hosted on a different sever, which I think is at a different campus. Our laptops run WinXP, although they're made for Vista, and they are Dell Latitude|D630. Other than that, I don't know what else to include, so you'll have to tell me what I should get.

How the school network is organised (in details) would be a good start.

~ Be on time to school.

~ Study and get good grades.

Bam no need to bypass any security... :P

looks like I have some research to do =)

If you want to test your penetration skills set up a small scale testing environment with VMware. Run LAMP. And plus, your education will take you into a better college.

The biggest vulnerability you'll find probably is the human factor. Teachers walking away from their terminals with it open. Not really a good idea though, schools like to revoke all computer privileges when they catch you doing something generally.

Edited by djmollusk

I agree school and education is important, unless you’re ditching your college classes to go to Comdex http://www.comdex.com . In which case, if a fellow student were to sign you into class it may be an acceptable use. B) . Then again this was circa 1998-99, when all the big names such as Microsoft, Apple ect appeared at Comdex. Today there is no more: o Comdex, and instead it's been turned into Interop http://www.interop.com/