Kayara

DATU or Other Internal Telco Eq Recordings?

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any demos/recordings of DATUs in use, or other telco equipment to which people normally do not have access? I've heard a DATU clip or two here or there, and it definitely sounded cool. I especially wonder what the "audio monitor" sounds like.

Thanks,

Kaya

Gents- Please be careful when posting these types of internal classified recordings ESPECIALLY any D Numbers. I have personally had to deal with investigating individuals who were abusing these services, at several phone companies I have worked for, and my own firm and it's never fun. Especially when I am OBLIGATED to contact a minor and inform his/her parents that their child is illegally accessing a protected system.

I know that the Moderators on this board had in the past BANNED any discussion of these types of services. As they are something NOT to be messed with!!!!. As evidenced with

“the FBI's hunt for Li'l Hacker, the blind, teenaged phone phreak in East Boston. " http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/02/m...ck-reviews.html . Who has on several occasions abused these systems to turn off and on phone lines & other connections.

Thanks,

Joseph

JmanA9, thanks for posting that, and I checked out quite a bit of the Web site as well. Actually I was surprised that a phreaker posted such a detailed recording, including a cheesy default password (if that part was real, that's pretty idiotic on the part of the telco). The announcement system menus are cool, and the voice talent is good too. It doesn't quite match Jane Barb though.

Joseph,

Hmm interesting. I was thinking along the lines that just the recordings of those cool prompts would slip under the radar, unless the DATU synthesizer folks (whoever they are) are really anal about licenses or copyright. Also, sometimes companies themselves have demos that circulate. Basically I was looking for the source they used for the remix that was sampled over at Haxor Radio a few years back. Whatever text-to-speech they used sounds so old-school, in a neat sort of way. I wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble though; I imagine cease-and-desist letters and their accompanying investigations aren't much fun. I just figured that if people post phone recordings all the time and don't get prosecuted for that, then it would be okay. Your warning about not actually messing with these systems is a good one, and who knows, maybe it'll make some other kid think twice about illegal exploitation, and not become the next Lil Hacker. From my perspective, listening to recordings is a way to explore some of the workings of telephone systems without doing anything wrong myself.

I know that the Moderators on this board had in the past BANNED any discussion of these types of services. As they are something NOT to be messed with!!!!. As evidenced with

"the FBI's hunt for Li'l Hacker, the blind, teenaged phone phreak in East Boston. " http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/02/m...ck-reviews.html . Who has on several occasions abused these systems to turn off and on phone lines & other connections.

Can you link me to a thread where that's happened? To the best of my knowledge, that's never happened before in any respectful discussion about a piece of equipment. Anyway, in my opinion, comparing people on binrev to Li'l Hacker is blowing things a little out of proportion. Having talked to him myself, he blew the word 'abuse' onto a whole other scale with a lot of systems, and involved himself with a lot of the wrong people.

While as you said, any form of unauthorized access is wrong, I believe people who respect their access to something will have less angry telcos pressing charges. To give an example, someone I used to talk to had higher up access to a piece of equipment for sometime over a year, until the platform was replaced with something else.

Kayra: You are absolutely correct merely posting such recordings is generally not an issue or problem, and the admins/moderators will remove the post if they receive a notice from a license holder, ect.

Thoughtfreaker: To answer your question, about past issues that people have exploited these systems. I will leave it up to that individual, to answer if he feels so inclined to do. I am just saying that having worked for several large telecommunications companies and done security consulting/ technical support. While I did not provide evidence in this case I can tell you that I have been called on to provide evidence in similar types of cases and that abuse of these systems are not taken lightly!

In short a person in NY was indicted on charges that he hacked into computers owned by a telecom company. This person obtained passwords to Verizon's Direct Access Testing Units (DATU) -- computers that technicians use to disable Verizon telephone numbers while performing tests on a telephone line.

Prosecutors the person broke into the system at least 100 times, allowing him to test and disable telephone numbers within various area codes across the country.

The indictment further alleges that Verizon was forced to spend in access of $100,000 to restore the security of its DATU systems, which included changing the telephone numbers for each of its DATUs nationwide and paying employee’s overtime to reprogram the multi-digit passwords for each of those DATUs. At the time if convicted, the person could have faced up to five years in prison and a large fine.

JmanA9, thanks for posting that, and I checked out quite a bit of the Web site as well. Actually I was surprised that a phreaker posted such a detailed recording, including a cheesy default password (if that part was real, that's pretty idiotic on the part of the telco). The announcement system menus are cool, and the voice talent is good too. It doesn't quite match Jane Barb though.

Pretty idiotic is right. The touch tones dialed in the recording is the default password, and that's what most of the ones you'll find are set to. Most of the Expanded Announcement Systems I was familiar with in Verizon territory have recently had their numbers changed, and maybe for Verizon's sake, their passwords too. It's taken the telcos a long time to realize the consequences of convenience, and I hate to say it, but they had it coming. Nobody's immune to exploitation.

Nope nothing was edited, gotta love that pass code. I have a few other recording somewhere. I'll try to get a few more out when I get back from this trip.

The indictment further alleges that Verizon was forced to spend in access of $100,000 to restore the security of its DATU systems, which included changing the telephone numbers for each of its DATUs nationwide and paying employee’s overtime to reprogram the multi-digit passwords for each of those DATUs. At the time if convicted, the person could have faced up to five years in prison and a large fine.

Throw in some multi-factor like a userid+userpin+fob/certs and it would mitigate much of the issue, if implemented correctly.

Would also work for telco logins, 'at the tone, specify a user id for authorized access:', 'password for user <xyz>:' <pin+fob> - 'login successful, welcome user <xyz>' / 'login failed. authorized users only'.

Would be very easy to trace any leaks down to specific users, disable their accounts and investigate further from there.

Or if you have Ethereal and are tapped into the network or on your internal voip network it's possible to decode live Voice over IP (VOIP) calls. The world of telephony is rapidly changing, for example most long distance traffic is traveling voice over ip. From your local tandem most of the big name Telco providers today have VOIP interconnection agreements in place. So once your call hits the local Long Distance network the call is converted to a VOIP call and handed back off to the local terminating tandem.

Courtesy of datutoday.tk (original work back in 2004 by Majestic amoung others).

Direct Access Test Unit ( DATU ) is described by Harris Dracon as:

" The Direct Access Test Unit - Remote Termainal (DATU-RT) System (or RT System) extends the the field technicians testing capabilities of subscriber lines through the non-metallic environment of a pair gain system. Typical Pair Gain Systems include SLC-96, SLC-Series 5, Ect. The RT system has three major components, the DATU-RT, Pair Gain Applique II SPOTS (PG2S), and the remotely located Metallic Access Unit ( MAU ).

The DATU-RT is a printed circuit card that provides microprocessor control of line preparation functions, voice prompted menus and status reports to the technician. It allows technicians to access and perform specific loop conditioning and tone generating functions on any working subscriber line to prepare the line for use with field test equipment. The card is installed in the Metallic Facility Terminal (MFT) bay and connected to the Central Office (CO) switch. This Service Manual provides the description, installation, programming, and operation of the DATU-RT.

Other models of the DATU may be upgraded into a DATU-RT, but the original DATUs (part numbers 24800-002 through -008) are not upgradeable nor compatible with the RT System. "

Single Access Seriving System ( SASS ) is described by Harris Dracon as:

" The SASS transmission conditioning unit is a printed wiring card that employs microprocessor control of test functions and provides voice prompting. The Card is installed in the Central Office Metallic Facility ( MFT ) bay and connected to the switching facility through TSPS, Cama, Lama, or equivilant outgoing trunk. a dedicatied POTS line is required for the ringback feature.

the Sass allows Direct Access from the field to any working subscriber line. Repair or Instillation technicians may perform the following functions on lines!

* Single source for transmission measurement tests include: Milliwat tone, Individual Tone Generation, Three Tone Slope, Ten Tone Slope, Resolution Frequensy Sweep.

* Quiet termination for cable noise measurement tests.

* Automatic Number Identification on the line the user is calling from.

* Ring test through the network back to the calling station.

* DTMF Keypad Testing. "

Edited by Infinite51