Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tao_of_pi

Can someone tell me what the hell happened to my shit

5 posts in this topic

So the other day I was booting up an old desktop of mine that was running freespire because I wanted to get some files off it before I reformatted. I let it boot up and walked away for a while, when I came back and turned on the monitor I found that the computer had froze at the login screen, so I manually shutdown. Then when I tried to reboot I got this message.

GRUB Loading Stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 17

Getting a little pissed off, I rebooted a couple more times with no luck and finally just shutdown for good. During all this I had left my flash drive in the USB port. And later when I plugged it into my laptop, Windows recognized that a drive was plugged in but claimed the drive was empty and had 0 bytes of memory. I then booted into SuSE to try and retrieve some important text files off of the flash drive, but SuSE would not recognize the drive even when I tried to forcefully mount it. So whatever happened wiped and killed my flash drive.The next morning I booted up the freespire box and it seemed to work fine without running a diagnostics test or anything.

I'm not that pissed or anything I'd just like to know what the fuck happened to my shit, any ideas?

My theory is that when you booted up your old desktop computer it must have recognized the thumb drive and tried booting from that, but it found no boot loader. Thus the GRUB error. I don't have any understanding why it erased the content of your thumb drive, but everybody runs into those quirky computer errors now and then. :P

If a computer doesn't find something suitable to boot from on a specific medium it would just go to the next one down the list. So it still should have booted from the HDD.

If a computer doesn't find something suitable to boot from on a specific medium it would just go to the next one down the list. So it still should have booted from the HDD.

Yeah, thats what I thinking. But maybe there was something on the thumb drive that when the boot loader was scanning through might have choked on.

I've had problems with machines not booting due to a USB device being plugged in. In one case, I'd put a hard disk in an external case that had once been in my desktop as the main boot drive -- having failed to erase the MBR, some computers would try to boot from it, loading GRUB and getting an error message.

As to why your drive was erased, I have no clue. I've seen many flash drives fail for no apparent reason, old and new, which is why I don't keep single copies of anything important on them.