Siren

I need a friend with computer skills - please read-urgent

57 posts in this topic

To quote anon, "FUUUUUUUU-"

Edited by IndexPhinger

Ahem.. I thought the person who said ISP was actually meaning something else because frankly, there's a lot lingo here I do not know. I do know some things about computing, as I said the ex did talk to me about a lot of it. But when it comes to actually 'hacking' or as I learned here 'social engineering' Ive no clue, I see where it looked very silly of me to ask if his ISP was the same ISP I was thinking.

I came here after reading many many hacker type forums because 1. the 'nubiehq' had a strict warning to not flame new people and I wanted help. That is it.

I am not a complete idiot, I can do some things but I know that he was very skilled in this arena. I only needed someone that could help me on the same level if not more intelligent than him.

Yes, I have boobs. But I don't really think with those. I have a brain I do that with.

Anyway, Thanks for all your time to those of you that did respond, I really do appreciate it.

Oh, I learned about root kits a tad while reading the hundreds of things I read to try and figure out what the hell was going on and how he 'may' have got something in my comp. If anyone would have called it an RTK or something, I would have never gotten it.

Bleh, Now I feel like an ass.

Welcome back to square one Siren!

Bleh, Now I feel like an ass.

Welcome back to square one Siren!

You shouldn't feel like an ass.

ya, I know I shouldn't but I wasn't ever trying to use my gender to get attention and that seems to be the idea some have. I said a girl because everyone knows.. girls + comps = LOL

I do wanna know what the sniffer thing is that the other person mentioned. Thank the gods for google I guess..

ya, I know I shouldn't but I wasn't ever trying to use my gender to get attention and that seems to be the idea some have. I said a girl because everyone knows.. girls + comps = LOL

I do wanna know what the sniffer thing is that the other person mentioned. Thank the gods for google I guess..

You can use something like Wireshark to watch whats going on, but honestly, if Spybot and a good antivirus (I use Avira) don't find anything, I can't imagine that you have much to worry about.

If I were you, I would just go change the passwords on all my accounts. Also, check to see the emails that are set to receive requests for password changes, and check the security questions, personal info, etc. That's really imporant because he might have changed all that stuff so that if you found out what he was doing and changed passwords, he could go back and have them reset.

A Sniffer lets you view the data being sent over the network, say from your computer to Google. Using a Sniffer allows you/someone to see what it is you are searching, any passwords you may be sending to login to FaceBook/whatever, and even change what is being sent/received.

OMG that dude was saying I am pretending to be a girl?? I JUST got that! Do I have to post a pic of me holding a sign with what? someones name here written on me?

I never asked to get help 'hacking' someone, I wouldn't want to. I JUST wanted help finding something that may be on MY comp.

Im looking at the sniffer things now. pretty sure I wont be able to understand it unless it is as clear and simple as my AVG I have trouble with spybot sometimes and what it finds. Never knowing for sure what I should 'fix' or w/e. I just fix all and pray it doesn't screw anything else up.

*so tempted to post a pic*

And aren't there girls here? Id welcome girl help as well!!!

Im looking at the sniffer things now. pretty sure I wont be able to understand it unless it is as clear and simple as my AVG I have trouble with spybot sometimes and what it finds. Never knowing for sure what I should 'fix' or w/e. I just fix all and pray it doesn't screw anything else up.

Your time could well be spent better trying to get yourself a copy of Windows so you can do a full reformat, then you'll know the threat has gone. :)

I you feel you must, then go ahead, it would dispel any non believers.

Your time could well be spent better trying to get yourself a copy of Windows so you can do a full reformat, then you'll know the threat has gone. :)

I you feel you must, then go ahead, it would dispel any non believers.

Very tempted to do so, But I figure if anyone really wants to know, they are more than welcome to PM me and ask. Id gladly oblige.

I am leaning towards finding an XP disk. Where. Ive no clue. The one I had before was apparently a copy someone got online somewhere. I wanted to make a copy of it but guess what? =) I didnt know how!! Now its gone and no one I know seems to have another.

Im about to say to hell with it and just let him see whatever he sees, Its just a creepy feeling. I don't like it. Im thinking now, he may very well know I am here now asking for help and who knows.. he may even be a member here. wow. wouldn't that suck? Oh well, If he is here, or sees somehow what I am saying here, maybe he will see that its totally ridiculous for im to do this to me and stop.

Umm.. Swerve? Are you a female? Just going by the pic you have.

i must indeed concur with everyone here;

you've shown much intelligence and willingness to absorb

new ideas, well done indeed, i know many people who can't/won't do this.

you might want to contact your

computer manufacturer, (Dell, HP, etc.) and ask about a replacement disc.

i and others can tell you how to copy it as well.

Hope This Helps

Hope This Helps

Thanks! I hadnt thought of doing that. great idea!!

Hope This Helps

yup, happy to help :)

OMG that dude was saying I am pretending to be a girl?? I JUST got that! Do I have to post a pic of me holding a sign with what? someones name here written on me?

Good idea. Post a pic holding a sign that says "I hate decoder." :P

Hope This Helps

You might be lucky enough to have a hidden restore partition. Most modern machines allow you to restore to the factory settings by pressing a certain key combination when the machine boots and following some instructions. Google for you computer make/model and "factory restore" and you might get some info. Installing Windows from scratch can sometimes be painful if you're not used to it. Not only may something in the install mess up but you then need to hunt down and install all your drivers, upgrade Windows, install software, restore backups etc. Im not saying it's hard but sometimes it just doesnt seem worth the hassle.

As for sniffers, i know its been said before, but one i use often is Wireshark. You install it and then run it and it will show you everything that is passing in/out of your computer and where it's going. If you see traffic that you're not generating it could be an indication of something unknown running on your machines (like a backdoor, rootkit etc)

I just want someone who is decent and intelligent enough, yea... crazy but Id trust someone who is just willing to help me out * I feel like a total dumb --

your problem dear is not computer security - and i am sure there are people who know what i mean...

you probably will find another "helpful guy" and alas he will again "betray" you...

that is the problem is...

another interesting issue : statistics says - that is numbers only - if you play the victim, you got people swarming at your side

Edited by Captain Fletcher

Preface: no offense to Siren

I was reading this thread, thinking of replying myself, then I had a thought about all of the frequent responses and detailed help. I was reflecting on a very important social engineering skill that I first learned when I used to play a few MMORPGs. Though it's not a feat I could easily pull off, do not women have the upper hand when it comes to getting information?

I don mean to assume anything about the intentions behind all of the responders, but I wonder how much urgency was added to the need to reply, simply because Siren (claims to) have b00bz.

that guy has really something - and sees what most can't

so what you'd say 

Edited by Captain Fletcher

Preface: no offense to Siren

I was reading this thread, thinking of replying myself, then I had a thought about all of the frequent responses and detailed help. I was reflecting on a very important social engineering skill that I first learned when I used to play a few MMORPGs. Though it's not a feat I could easily pull off, do not women have the upper hand when it comes to getting information?

I don mean to assume anything about the intentions behind all of the responders, but I wonder how much urgency was added to the need to reply, simply because Siren (claims to) have b00bz.

I was thinking the same thing, and women definitely do have an upper hand in cases like these. But the reasons are twofold. Yes, some people are probably more eager to help a damsel in distress, but on the other hand, if you look at a random sampling of unknown people asking for help on these forums, most of them are talking about pwning people, doing something semi-legal or they ask super vague questions and give zero detail.

Siren managed to ask the question the correct way, give all the related background info, and was very thankful to people that help her, etc. Those would probably be more important reasons as to why she is getting good help from the members here.

your skills may be good but the thing is how you use them

you can be expert in something but if you are a nubie in life that is you let others / and / or your passions and weakness manipulate you 

see what i mean

Well Sir captain, I am indeed an intelligent WOMAN. I spent 4 years with this person, I cannot help if he was insecure and decide to violate me. Im not even honoring what you said any further, whoever scorned you, you should just let it go already. *rolls eyes*

I DO appreciate everyone here who stepped up to help. Especially Indexphinger who graciously spent his day in my comp and has indeed fixed me. He is quite the badass and gentleman and deserves huge amounts of respect in that regard. He also KNOWS I am female as we did speak on the phone.

Thanks for your time,

Siren

Just a reminder to those who may not have read the rules...

Anything remotely insulting, degrading, or rude will be met with at least a warning and possibly instant bannination.

Got it? Hope so. <_<

OMG that dude was saying I am pretending to be a girl?? I JUST got that!

And aren't there girls here? Id welcome girl help as well!!!

I want to reference my first post where I prefaced it by saying: no offense to Siren.

I wasn't assuming anything about your sex/gender/national origin/or political affiliation. I only thought it was an interesting chain of events to see so many responses to your post in such a short period of time.

This lead me to recall past experience playing various MMORPGs where one, as a female character, could more easily petition to veteran characters for money and aid.

So no, I wasn't in the mindset at all to question your identity; rather, I wanted to make an observation about a cultural phenomenon catalyzed by your post. It is, after all, the discovery of patterns through which a hacker acquires his/her skills. Exploitation of said patterns is another matter...

gnosis,

I wasn't that 'offended' what you said was true, A lot of guys do that kind of thing. I think it was the 'siren claims to have boobz' that tipped me :P But its cool. I see where you were coming from. It was captain asshat that was so random and ignorant.

Anyway, No offense taken.