Siren

I need a friend with computer skills - please read-urgent

57 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a very computer illiterate girl with an issue. =( My ex BF I think, has put some form of logger on my computer. Ive done the basics, but Im afraid its just something I cant find. I came here and read loads of posts and decided of all the places Ive looked for help, the knowledgeable folks here would be m best hope for help. I am at my lowest here, forgive my whining.

The Ex, is VERY smart about all of this stuff. I just feel very used and violated by it all. =( I will be forever grateful for any help anyone here can give me. Where to even begin finding out if and where something is. He knows things he shouldnt know and only by knowing what I do online would he be able to know. Although its nothing bad, Its enough to keep him entertained and me pretty much a prisoner.

PM me here if you'd like my email address to further discuss all of this. I know this post is lame but I truly don't know where else to go for help.

Thanks,

Siren

If what you say is true, then this...

I am a very computer illiterate girl

... means that you need to find someone you trust or a local computer repair shop and have them back up your data and format/reinstall your computer. That's really the only way to be sure that whatever may be installed is gone. Then keep him away from your computer afterwards.

Sk1llz, wut son?!

Keyscrambler is cool as like a just in case thing, but if you really think you have a keylogger on your shit, i would just wipe the drive and reinstall windows... or you could get some good free antivirus and anti-spyware shit. Spybot and Avira usually find keyloggers pretty well.

Plus, like, change your FB password too. :D

Also, pick better boyfriends who dont pull stupid shit like that. Ive elitely haxxored girlfriends of mine, but only to show them that they need to be more secure. Mostly spoofing to their non-passworded voicemail and guessing their email password, etc. Putting a keylogger on your machine is not in that ballpark, at all.

Thanks all.

We were together a long time, met because he literally stole the names of an entire chat-room I was involved in years ago. he did this within a day.

I would love to reformat or w/e its called, but no xp disk. I dont have the funds to have it checked by anyone else. I did run Spybot S&D, I use AVG. I just think theres something here Im not finding. In fact id bet on it.

I looked in the system files and thousands of names of things, I dont know any of that stuff so... I just want someone who is decent and intelligent enough, yea... crazy but Id trust someone who is just willing to help me out online over some rapist at bestbuy or something... even if just to say hey babe, nothing there, chill. So.. anyone interested in helping me.. *sigh* I feel like a total dumb --

Phasma, wow! thanks for the FF add-on (key scrambler) I was hoping for something like that but didnt know of anything!! Im installing that now, maybe that will prevent any further info being sent! ( if in fact any is)

Thanks soooooooooo much!

If AVG and Spybot both come back negative then I really wouldn't worry to much. He could've put a rootkit on you computer, if he did then you have no other choice but to reformat it. I doubt that though.

Edited by phasma

You should also look for any unusual hardware on your computer that you don't recognize. There are little keyloggers that go between the keyboard cable where it plugs into the computer itself. See if there is anything there as well.

More than likely, he just knows your facebook or myspace account and is just getting most of his information from there.

OK.. * takes deep breath* I installed the key scrambler, and its saying there's an error, Nice little free floating pink box. No idea what the error is.

rootkit makes sense, he'd do that simply because he knows Id never find it. He wasnt physically here to be able to put anything on here that way. But he always sent me things and many times talked to me about how to bind loggers and send them to be executed or opened when someone opens an attachment or a program or w/e. I dont know the lingo guys please hang in there with me.

Hmm. Now I see the error on Key scrambler It says 'encryption module error' Any clues?

I hope some of you stay up late =/

Oh and I dont have a FB or myspace. I know.. lame.

Edited by Siren

Try rebooting your computer and running the installer again, that should do the trick.

But he always sent me things and many times talked to me about how to bind loggers and send them to be executed or opened when someone opens an attachment or a program or w/e.

Did he send you any attachments that you have opened before? And did you happen to have any type of anti-virus software before the recent download of AVG?

rootkit makes sense, he'd do that simply because he knows Id never find it. He wasnt physically here to be able to put anything on here that way. But he always sent me things and many times talked to me about how to bind loggers and send them to be executed or opened when someone opens an attachment or a program or w/e. I dont know the lingo guys please hang in there with me.

Oh and I dont have a FB or myspace. I know.. lame.

OK, if not myspace or any of that type of stuff, what ISP do you use and does he have access to that to log in as you? And if you had a rootkit, I am pretty confident that AVG and/or Spybot would have found them. I am starting to think you have a spy in your midst or that he is getting information from a non-tech related source.

This is way out there, but have you checked your house/room for hidden cameras or microphones? That is pretty sleazy and illegal, but I don't know this guy so I am just thinking of options.

I did reboot, crap memory on this ancient beast so its takes forever to reboot. but it seems that fixed my KS problem. Thanks for that. <Either I cannot spell or I am so unoriginal that I re-used a lame internet meme that has no value whatsoever to these forums and have been wordfiltered> does it mean when it pops up and says encrypted keystrokes? Its wild!! olol Its like showing a box as I type and scrambling the letters.. that is just awesome, I feel all empowered. lol

OK, This is the lamest ever but I have to tell you all this, he was never at my house. we spent 4 years.. online =( So, he doesnt associate with anyone I know and I know none of his friends on a personal basis. This guy lives in his room pretty much outside of his classes. and does not much more than play games online and do this kind of thing. But he knows things and says tings when we mail or talk on the phone that he shouldn't know. We only talk when he breaks down and mails me or something. He has to get his fix if you know what I mean. sad isn't it?

I gotta say you guys flat out rock and I am feeling better already!

Do feel kind of dumb because I am in a forum filled with things Id never be able to contribute to. But so glad you all are so kind with helping me. Honestly was about to cry or something :'(

Oh what ISP? umm.. Insight? My local cable company broadband? is that what you mean?

Gzz I keep forgetting to answer questions.. Yes he always sent me things, pics, music.. everything. He many times did remote access to work on things with my comp. hasnt done that in ages though. But he once did something( I dont know what) And ever since, when I reset, I have to go through hoops. system configuration something, and a boot menu something. I really dont pay attention to it. but now Im thinking wth?

And haaa at the wordfilter, I guess I did spell something wrong.

Edited by Siren

ISP stands for Internet Service Provider. Basically a company that provides you internet access, for example Verizon, RCN (if you live in my general area).

He remote desktoped on to your computer? Thats where the problem probably started. He probably got onto your computer, installed some malicious software being the sadistic obsessive control freak he is. Then when you guys broke up he probably wanted revenge. Took the passwords that he collected over time and just used them. From now on don't let anyone remote desktop into your computer, always have anti-virus software running, never use Internet Explorer, and be careful of what you download.

Its not that there's anything he can really do any real damage with, Its more of a feeling of always being watched by him, its just plain creepy.

I found a program called keylogdetector, ran it did what it said and the log said you may have a keylogger on your system, But, I ran spybot, and kaspersky and it found only the usual suspects, tracking cookies things of that nature.

Im just lost as to how to find something and cant reinstall my xp with no disk. No way to get one.

The computer that your currently using should have came with an installation CD. Unless its an ancient computer.

shamefully, it is ancient. I had a disk that someone had copied or w/e but I gave it back and now have no idea where that person is anymore.

I really cant thank you enough for the FF add on thingy. Its really made me feel safer or just more chilled out. I really appreciate your help more than I can express.

Well, as long as you stick with AVG, Spybot, KeyScrambler and don't use obvious passwords or security questions you'll be fine. I am callin' it a night. :wacko:

:) Me too, and I will continue using that. Will still be checking back here though. Thanks all!

So.. I checked out the cleaner.. installed, upon the initial run, I got the bad blue screen. Thankfully, everything was ok when it restarted But now I am as scared as ever. wonder why it did that? I deleted the thing from desktop and from the control panel place :P I know its lingering somewhere.

Ive been reading stuff here for hours off and on all day. Maybe I will learn something.. :roll:

Preface: no offense to Siren

I was reading this thread, thinking of replying myself, then I had a thought about all of the frequent responses and detailed help. I was reflecting on a very important social engineering skill that I first learned when I used to play a few MMORPGs. Though it's not a feat I could easily pull off, do not women have the upper hand when it comes to getting information?

I don mean to assume anything about the intentions behind all of the responders, but I wonder how much urgency was added to the need to reply, simply because Siren (claims to) have b00bz.

I was reading this thread, thinking of replying myself, then I had a thought about all of the frequent responses and detailed help. I was reflecting on a very important social engineering skill that I first learned when I used to play a few MMORPGs. Though it's not a feat I could easily pull off, do not women have the upper hand when it comes to getting information?

I don mean to assume anything about the intentions behind all of the responders, but I wonder how much urgency was added to the need to reply, simply because Siren (claims to) have b00bz.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Also does anyone else find it strange how Siren knows what a rootkit is

rootkit makes sense, he'd do that simply because he knows Id never find it

but doesnt know ISP

Oh what ISP? umm.. Insight? My local cable company broadband? is that what you mean?

hmmm...maybe paranoia is getting the best of me.

Anyway, my advice would be to either install a network sniffer and watch to see if anything unusual is going through the network (like your keystrokes etc) or just reinstall your OS (or better yet switch to something like Ubuntu). IMO once a machine is compromised it is no good to me and im starting all over again.

I was thinking the same thing, and women definitely do have an upper hand in cases like these. But the reasons are twofold. Yes, some people are probably more eager to help a damsel in distress, but on the other hand, if you look at a random sampling of unknown people asking for help on these forums, most of them are talking about pwning people, doing something semi-legal or they ask super vague questions and give zero detail.

Siren managed to ask the question the correct way, give all the related background info, and was very thankful to people that help her, etc. Those would probably be more important reasons as to why she is getting good help from the members here.

I was thinking the same thing, and women definitely do have an upper hand in cases like these. But the reasons are twofold. Yes, some people are probably more eager to help a damsel in distress, but on the other hand, if you look at a random sampling of unknown people asking for help on these forums, most of them are talking about pwning people, doing something semi-legal or they ask super vague questions and give zero detail.

Siren managed to ask the question the correct way, give all the related background info, and was very thankful to people that help her, etc. Those would probably be more important reasons as to why she is getting good help from the members here.

I also noticed the same phenomenon that you all did and I agree with decoder. I thought about it before I replied whether I was just replying because of her gender, but I realized that I replied because 1) I was actually online and available at the time and 2) I saw that she seemed to be genuinely trying and she was thankful.

Besides, you guys all forgot rule # 1...there are no girls on the interwebs. :P