Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XxthugstylezxX

Domain Controller

5 posts in this topic

If I have a domain such as www.xyz.com even though the website is being hosted else where, can I still use www.xyz.com as my domain controller for my network? Or do I even really need a domain to make a DC? As long as im not creating a server of any other sort?

Thinking about it logically you would need a static IP address in order to have a DC, and you could not use a actual domain without a static ip address. I dont know I just need it put in English to me, the books and white papers have not done me justice.

Basically I have two projects that involve me running a DC. So any further explanation or a direction in a white paper, or tutorial that can explain it good please it would be appreciated.

In this case, the terminology is a bit confusing. You can have an Internet domain (e.g. "binrev.com") and also a Microsoft network domain. There can be an overlap with these two, but they don't necessarily mean the same thing all the time.

In particular, if you are speaking of a domain controller, that is terminology particular to Microsoft's networking management system. Your DC does need to have a static IP address, but it does not necessarily have to be a public IP address. On the flip side, if you have an Internet domain, you would usually want a public IP address (so people can get to it over the Internet), but it doesn't necessarily have to be a static IP.

Or, they can both be the same. All depends on how you configure it.

You can name a Microsoft domain whatever you want, whether or not you have a proper Internet domain name for it. (Although best practice dictates that you append .local to a private/internal domain -- so frobozz.com would be your Internet domain, and frobozz.local would be your Microsoft/internal domain.)

In short, you can. www is typically use for websites tho, so your domain should be xyz.com. Your local DNS service will need to specify the difference between the LAN named xyz.com and the external www.xyz.com website. Local DNS needs to resolve hosts on your LAN to the private address scheme your domain is using. To access www.xyz.com from this domain you would create a zone entry 'www' with the address of the external IP the website is located at. So, 'fileServer1.xyz.com' would resolve to a private A, B, or C class address while www.xyz.com would resolve to the external address the webserver is behind.

(Although best practice dictates that you append .local to a private/internal domain -- so frobozz.com would be your Internet domain, and frobozz.local would be your Microsoft/internal domain.)

Side note - If you are running any OSX machines on your network, choose .lan instead of .local. Macs have a problem with .local as part of the network. (i think it has something to do with Rendezvous)