Irongeek

Infragard

31 posts in this topic

Strangely enough, that is my end goal, I'm just too lazy and uncharismatic to achieve it.

There is clear reason why you MUST be checked out and have an officially company or in the past be sponsored by someone within the organization. Simply PUT as the reported clearly illustrated, topics are presented that could pose an eminent danger to our national infrastructure. Since post 911 many documents, telecommunications blueprints, ect are NO longer available to the general public, as if used together may pose a danger to the Department of Homeland Security, critical infrastructure provider’s et al. Simply put the organization has shared a lot of information and fantastic work publically; if you do not want to go through their credentialed program, then don't submit an application or join. This is going to be my last post on this topic….

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have been to a handful of Infragard meetings. My membership may be expired now, it has been years since I have gone. We used to have VPN access to their docs, I think they now do their stuff over the web instead.

The talks were interesting. I remember they had a talk on war-driving, they did data analysis on a large war-driving project in phoenix (my area), this one was closed to the public, not sure why though, nothing too secret was exposed. I also went to a food bio-terrorism talk, that one was extremely interesting.

Oh, and I do remember going through a background check, so whatever, now they know more about me, maybe? they probably don't care about me at all.

I went to a local Infragard meeting recently and while there is definitely a vibe of the "good ole boy network" there, I didn't find it to be nefarious. I didn't hear anything that alarmed me too much, nothing of a "big brother is watching you" nature. They had two presentations from from 2 different agents of the FBI respectively. I suspect that some of it was extremely elementary for the binrev crowd, but it was informative and educational nonetheless.

One talk was basically how hackers identify target machines by scanning subnets. They never mentioned nmap by name, but the concept was very familiar to me. That was nothing new.

The other talk was about pen testing the power grid for vulnerabilities, which was a very interesting talk. Essentially windows sucks when it comes to security. Again, nothing new here for me.

This was one of their public meetings so all of the information was content that they felt comfortable releasing to the public. I found out from the VP of that chapter that there was a reporter from the local CBS affiliate sitting in the back taking notes. It is a safe bet that your local news media frequents these meetings in your area as well.

My recommendation is to visit one of their public meetings and be a fly on the wall. Whether or not you bring business cards is up to you, but it might be wise to do so even if only to appear that you are a social animal who is there to network (hackers are not known as being very social animals). Whether or not the business card is real is up to you. Fake business cards are a different topic.

Having said that, if you have a clean criminal background, then you might consider incorporating a business with a security-sounding title and then apply for membership. I imagine most of the content from an Infragard is quite boring, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks. My background check passed, and am now a member.