What To Do?

19 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I have just found 2 1U servers with low specs

P III @ 800MHz

256MB PC 133

40 GB HDD

DVD drive

And I wanted to know what you guys think I should do with time.

I will be putting a *NIX based OS on it, but I do not know what to do with them.

So what do you think.

Give me so suggestions, and go on from there.

Example would be

Firewall

Proxy Server

SFTP Server

Etc....

Take care.

Edited by Aghaster

Well, if you have no specific use for them.... anything. What do you want to play with? If I tell you to go play with pf on OpenBSD, it's not going to be any fun unless that's what you want to do with it. So... what are you interested in? Stick an old, unpatched distro on it and hack away. That could be fun... But asking this question is like saying "I have this pen and paper, what should I write or draw?"

Well, if you have no specific use for them.... anything. What do you want to play with? If I tell you to go play with pf on OpenBSD, it's not going to be any fun unless that's what you want to do with it. So... what are you interested in? Stick an old, unpatched distro on it and hack away. That could be fun... But asking this question is like saying "I have this pen and paper, what should I write or draw?"

Understood.

LAMP development, mine is a 120Mhz w/ 512MB RAM, 12GB HD. It runs Etch and no GUI of course.

How did you manage to get 512MB of RAM in a 120MHz machine? What is that, a Pentium classic? That must be one hell of a board, because the biggest SIMM I've seen is 32MB and most boards only had 4 SIMM slots. Also, most early machines that had DIMM slots can't address large memory modules and usually only had 2 DIMM slots. That's too slow to be a Pentium Pro too... wtf kind of machine is that? :P

How did you manage to get 512MB of RAM in a 120MHz machine? What is that, a Pentium classic? That must be one hell of a board, because the biggest SIMM I've seen is 32MB and most boards only had 4 SIMM slots. Also, most early machines that had DIMM slots can't address large memory modules and usually only had 2 DIMM slots. That's too slow to be a Pentium Pro too... wtf kind of machine is that? :P

The MoBo is an Asus P5A-B Super 7 which only addresses upto 512MB, but has x3 168pin DIMM slots.

Ah, that's a crazy AMD board. That explains everything.

So I am going to install OpenBSD on one (since my last OpenBSD server died). :(

Still thinking what I should do with the other one. Might just make it into a IDS or IPS or Firewall. Now I just need to Google how to do this.

:help:

Will let you know how this goes.

just a side note, these have to be one of the quiets 1U servers I have ever encountered.

Private shell server or personal proxy? Or you could turn it into a honeypot with a jeos base for vmware so they don't cause too much damage :) Or you could throw in a cheap 1tb hard drive and setup an ftp server for all of us Binrev members ;)

Turn them into a cluster of some kind.

Damnit, you beat me to it!

Or you can give them to me :D

I need an experiment server! :D

Honeypot.

Increase the disk space and create a streaming media server, backup nas.

Turn them into a cluster of some kind.

Damnit, you beat me to it!

Or you can give them to me :D

I need an experiment server! :D

A cluster would be nice, you could also learn how to use OpenMPI if you do it.

My best idea would be to put FreeNAS on it, or maybe a private SSH server if your away from home with a laptop. Or just experiment and have some fun. Ohm's idea sounds neat.

Honeypot.

Excellent idea, me! Let me suggest HoneyWall!

you could buy some dolphin sci cards and make your own sci cables and make a cluster for real time computing at like 667mb/s actual transfer but i wouldnt see a point you'd be connecting the 2 at a speed faster than the harddrives. then you could host stuff from 2 computers only using 1hd i guess. you could try brazillian firewall/router.

edit: you could make a firewall/router cluster

Edited by dinscurge

you could make a serial toaster and uplaod toast to the intranet