Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cap

Internet inaccessible

17 posts in this topic

I cannot access internet in my company's network. I am under vista and use wep encryption. I type the pass, connect to the network but have no internet. Any suggestion much appreciated.

Since you are having trouble in your company, I suggest you talk to the IT helpdesk at your company. It's their job to help you with this kind of problem.

I second approaching your IT helpdesk. Given the little information you provide, it's impossible for anyone to give you any advice that would actually help.

Yeah, approaching the IT helpdesk seems logical. That you would go through the extra trouble of posting this from home suggests that you might be being a bit naughty, but I'm not here to judge you.

I suggest you have a look at the proxy settings on a computer that does work, and copy them.

That you would go through the extra trouble of posting this from home suggests that you might be being a bit naughty, but I'm not here to judge you.

Ha, if that was the case he would probably be asking questions about how to hide the fact that he was being bad at work. ;)

If your company uses WEP tell the IT guy that deployed it, he is an idiot.

They probably have a MAC filtering list on their routers. IT is probably the best bet to find out. So, I second everybody above. :P

They probably have a MAC filtering list on their routers. IT is probably the best bet to find out. So, I second everybody above. :P

I admit i have an intention of being a little naughty and play a while.

what if they have a mac filtering list - could i fake my mac ( i am using my laptop and not a company computer )

:)

Of course you can fake your MAC. Just have to know what to fake it too, and make sure that the same person isn't on the network while your spoofing. Thats, if they do have a MAC filter. You never know.

so what are really my options - what could i do ?

Stop trying to be 'naughty'.

Sniff the network after authing, and choose a MAC address that looks like another laptop user, then change yours to it when the network's quiet, and use your companies intertubes to your hearts' content.

You could use something like airodump to get a list of connected clients. My real advice is not to play (if you can help it, i know sometimes its tempting). If it really is your company then you could get fired. If not then it could be even worse.

Note:

Just reread your post. It could be something like a proxy needing to be set in your web browser. A lot of companies use a proxy configuration script. If it is your company and you have a work machine you can have a look under your web browser settings, if not then maybe sniff some data and see if you can try and work it out (not sure if there's an easier way).

BTW, lol wep on a company :P

never gets old

when youre connecting to a wireless access point that is using mac filtering in windows it wont even ask you for the wep key. it will just keep trying to connect and then after a minute will time out, so its probably safe to say that running airodump, or kismet or spoofing your mac is a waste of time when you already have the network key and are able to connect. its more likely your network security settings in windows, or maybe the router is set to deny web access during certain times of the day or set to only allow web access to certain computers.

Haha

+1

when youre connecting to a wireless access point that is using mac filtering in windows it wont even ask you for the wep key. it will just keep trying to connect and then after a minute will time out, so its probably safe to say that running airodump, or kismet or spoofing your mac is a waste of time when you already have the network key and are able to connect. its more likely your network security settings in windows, or maybe the router is set to deny web access during certain times of the day

or set to only allow web access to certain computers.

that's again mac filtering isn't it?

I second that haha