opposite

New Fake ID Guide

35 posts in this topic

Thanks! I'll read it when I get a chance. It should be a good primer, to fight against fradulent ID's. JL

Fake ID machines are the best! people trust the technology without using common sense or checking the bend ,ect of the id.

[quote name='Infinite51' post='331485' date='Feb 25 2009, 01:10 PM']Fake ID machines are the best! people trust the technology without using common sense or checking the bend ,ect of the id.[/quote]

Exactly man! Everyone thinks that the 'scannability' of the ID is the end all-be all of security features. Next to single-spectrum holograms, it's the easiest feature to do.

I appreciate the post opposite. Awesome guide! Too many such guides are very outdated, or poorly illustrated. This one is both well-illustrated and refreshingly modern. ;)

I cannot tell you how many times banks that was some of my clients when I was working in a sales management capacity at Major telecom firm. Told me about how many people open false bank accounts with fake documentation (SSN, Drivers License). The worst part was some of these banks were smaller regional banks so they opened checking accounts without verifying information with Checksys prior to opening an account. It would take an undetermined amount of days to fully verify the information by their backend Risk group. So at least at the time there were a lot of merchants that were getting hit pretty badly by these banks, with bogus checks that people were kiting around and depositing. Even worse was that one of the banks that was my client, I found out through the grapevine that they had convicted felons working at their branches, because they were too lazy to send print cards to the FBI for processing? Yes Odd.

I wouldn't recommend fake IDs at all. Can get up into a year in jail in some states just for making one. Up to a year of probation just getting caught with one in a lot of states. Authorities don't screw around when it comes to fakes nowadays.

[quote name='djmollusk' post='332605' date='Mar 12 2009, 11:29 PM']I wouldn't recommend fake IDs at all. Can get up into a year in jail in some states just for making one. Up to a year of probation just getting caught with one in a lot of states. Authorities don't screw around when it comes to fakes nowadays.[/quote]

Seriously? Wow.

Back in the day, my friends and I used to make so many ID's. It used to be real lax too becuase I remember getting into clubs and getting the hand stamp to drink using a fake College ID.

You would be quite correct about the readers not doing anything but verifying the tracks of the stripe. These readers are not terribly common because not too many states use magstripes. The other type of reader is a barcode scanner that reads the PDF417 barcodes seen on most state id's. These are usually purchased by store owners to protect their liquor licenses. In fact, some stores are so reliant on their scanners that they'll accept crappy looking id's as long as they scan. They hardly thwart fake id's, though. Creating a scanning pdf417 barcode/magstripe takes mere seconds if you have the right software.

For those of you with an interest in these pdf417 barcodes, there's a free java program that will read them. Just scan it in at a high DPI and run it through.

Get it hurrr.

You said "Creating a scanning pdf417 barcode/magstripe takes mere seconds if you have the right software." any recommendation for the "right software'?